Pin prices very soft

Has anyone noticed how soft pin prices have been as of late?

I am getting a lot of offers for HUO Stern games around the $3000 mark
(for me to buy)

and other sellers are having trouble moving games

I understand the summer is slow, but you would think that with the
price increase at Stern, that HUO games would not be this soft

Just an observation ....

I think some of it has to do with the major changes swirling around in
Australia and with Gary Stern

gary

> I think some of it has to do with the major changes swirling around in Australia and with Gary Stern

Yes...home collectors everywhere are in a selling panic over what's
happening in Australia. :p Honestly Gary...98% of the collectors
could care less about those two...if they even know who they are. We
all tend to think that RGP is the majority of users/collectors. While
it may be the best & smartest of the pin-world, it's not the most.

> Has anyone noticed how soft pin prices have been as of late?

I have noticed that you seem to be obsessed with market prices &
production numbers. Every up/down tick and you see impending doom or
conspiracy.

Tip: Stay out of the stock market...it will REALLY drive you crazy.

Just an observation...

Barry - NY

> Has anyone noticed how soft pin prices have been as of late?

> I am getting a lot of offers for HUO Stern games around the $3000 mark
> (for me to buy)

Thats a great deal Gary, You should buy as many Roller Coaster Tycoons
as you can at that terrific price.

> I think some of it has to do with the major changes swirling around in
> Australia and with Gary Stern

What "Major" changes?

I have been getting offers on

Simpsons, Elvis and LOTR

gary

I was offered a RTC with 450 plays HUO for $2195

just seems like a lot of cheap(er) prices as of late

just asking if anyone else has noticed it ...

gary

Maybe the anticipation that Pat Lawlor will save pinball again with
Nascar has many large ops trying to move older Stern titles now to get
in on it..? I am excited to see the finished result and think it
already has the look of something sweet and different from Lawlor and
Stern.
I think your right, there is always soft times in the summer for TIER
2,3 pins but I do feel that the TIER 1 pins will always command higher
dollars. Which TIER a pin is in depends on the buyer of course.
IMHO I would put all the Stern,Sega,DE pins in TIER 2 and a majority of
the Williams Bally pins in TIER 1. Of course you have your occasional
ringer like GUns N Roses which takes off from time to time. Just my
thoughts.
Lewis

that's about right for that pin.
i think it's fun unlike some on here, but in the home the voices would drive
me to drinking.
Dan

<gpctv02@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I was offered a RTC with 450 plays HUO for $2195
>
> just seems like a lot of cheap(er) prices as of late
>
> just asking if anyone else has noticed it ...
>
> gary

The market for HUO Sterns is still trying to find it's base. It seems that
most of the "must have a X Stern" crown bought new and the demand in the
secondary market is not as strong, so the prices have actually shown a
steady decline, even since the beginning of the this year. If you check the
archives, not too long ago there were some that thought those pins would
actually increase in value in the secondary market. Most ops have not sold
theirs yet, they're still operating them and the supply is coming more from
home buyers who have decided to sell. When the ops do sell it will give
buyers another option; lower prices with more wear. It's possible the prices
could firm up but they could continue to follow the trend-line and drop even
further.

GRY

<lewben11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Maybe the anticipation that Pat Lawlor will save pinball again with
> Nascar has many large ops trying to move older Stern titles now to get
> in on it..? I am excited to see the finished result and think it
> already has the look of something sweet and different from Lawlor and
> Stern.
> I think your right, there is always soft times in the summer for TIER
> 2,3 pins but I do feel that the TIER 1 pins will always command higher
> dollars. Which TIER a pin is in depends on the buyer of course.
> IMHO I would put all the Stern,Sega,DE pins in TIER 2 and a majority of
> the Williams Bally pins in TIER 1. Of course you have your occasional
> ringer like GUns N Roses which takes off from time to time. Just my
> thoughts.
> Lewis

jdix

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

I see the market softening a bit too, not just with sterns. It seems
most pins have hit a ceiling, I don't see the typical 15% gains
occurring this year as they have in the past couple years. Most of the
higher demand titles are pretty expensive, and most people who want
them already have them or have been priced out of the market. If
anything it seems the lower end pins are making a run now. I wouldn't
expect prices to drop really, but the plateau appears to be here. Do
you really expect average TZ's and AFM's will be selling for
$4,500-$5,000 in 2 years? There will be some spikes around Xmas but I
doubt these levels will be reached. Despite what the Fed says there is
a lot of inflation across the board from houses to toilet paper. Pins
fall in there somewhere. Higher interest rates will probably strain
all price increases eventually. A lot of people have had very easy
access to money for the past couple years and right now. If that
changes the markets for recreational luxury items like pins can only
suffer.

Ceegary wrote:
> The market for HUO Sterns is still trying to find it's base. It seems that
> most of the "must have a X Stern" crown bought new and the demand in the
> secondary market is not as strong, so the prices have actually shown a
> steady decline, even since the beginning of the this year. If you check the
> archives, not too long ago there were some that thought those pins would
> actually increase in value in the secondary market. Most ops have not sold
> theirs yet, they're still operating them and the supply is coming more from
> home buyers who have decided to sell. When the ops do sell it will give
> buyers another option; lower prices with more wear. It's possible the prices
> could firm up but they could continue to follow the trend-line and drop even
> further.
>
> GRY
>
> <lewben11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Maybe the anticipation that Pat Lawlor will save pinball again with
> > Nascar has many large ops trying to move older Stern titles now to get
> > in on it..? I am excited to see the finished result and think it
> > already has the look of something sweet and different from Lawlor and
> > Stern.
> > I think your right, there is always soft times in the summer for TIER
> > 2,3 pins but I do feel that the TIER 1 pins will always command higher
> > dollars. Which TIER a pin is in depends on the buyer of course.
> > IMHO I would put all the Stern,Sega,DE pins in TIER 2 and a majority of
> > the Williams Bally pins in TIER 1. Of course you have your occasional
> > ringer like GUns N Roses which takes off from time to time. Just my
> > thoughts.
> > Lewis

For example, they made 15,000 TZ's

If Wayne comes out with new decals and new playfields, do you realize
how easy it would be to take the old TZ junkers and FLOOD the market
with nicer ones thanks to people like Chris and David and Bryan and
probably others who will get into the business?

we are only a few hundred playfields away from saturating the markets

gary

I think it stand to reason that unless we get a lot of new collectors
in the hobby, we are going to see a glut of machines with leveling
prices

or maybe even prices dropping for lack of buyers ...

Parts are becoming available

playfields, decals etc ....

It's like, be careful what you wish for, you might actually get it

The problem with the market absorbing more pins is a "not enough room
in the house problem", not a lack of desire for games

I have 31 games here now ...

That is kind of the limit ...

gary

gpctv02@yahoo.com wrote in news:1120492267.841203.44630
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I was offered a RTC with 450 plays HUO for $2195

That's a horrible price for a real time clock. Here's a MUCH cheaper RTC
for you to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13725&item=
6190217281&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

(with NO WEAR, even!)

On 4 Jul 2005 08:51:08 -0700, gpctv02@yahoo.com wrote:

>I was offered a RTC with 450 plays HUO for $2195
>
>just seems like a lot of cheap(er) prices as of late
>
>just asking if anyone else has noticed it ...
>
>gary

i really think you are a massive liar gary. if the person who offered
gary that rct for $2195, I WILL BUY IT FOR THAT PRICE AND I HATE THE
GAME! feel free to e-mail me at Pinlicious@gmail.com and let me know
where to send the loot.

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

>I think it stand to reason that unless we get a lot of new collectors
>in the hobby, we are going to see a glut of machines with leveling
>prices

the key word is "Gary thinks". It's summer. Prices are lower in summer.
Start buying if you think they are such a great deal.

>Parts are becoming available

Really, from where?

>playfields, decals etc ....

Funny, I haven't seen any.

>It's like, be careful what you wish for, you might actually get it

Man, you need to spend less time speculating and more time playing.

>The problem with the market absorbing more pins is a "not enough room
>in the house problem", not a lack of desire for games

Not from what I have seen.

>I have 31 games here now ...

No one cares, really.

Kirb

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:53:24 -0700, "Ceegary" <ceegary@cox.net> wrote:

>The market for HUO Sterns is still trying to find it's base. It seems that
>most of the "must have a X Stern" crown bought new and the demand in the
>secondary market is not as strong, so the prices have actually shown a
>steady decline, even since the beginning of the this y ear.Ifyoucheckthe
>archives, not too long ago there were some that thought those pins would
>actually increase in value in the secondary market. Most ops have not sold
>theirs yet, they're still operating them and the supply is coming more from
>home buyers who have decided to sell. When the ops do sell it will give
>buyers another option; lower prices with more wear. It's possible the prices
>could firm up but they could continue to follow the trend-line and drop even
>further.
>
>GRY

prices won't drop on mint games. period.

mint taf's sell for 4k+
blown out ones sell for under 2k

same with huo stern games.
when they stop making popular titles, huo pins will spike and hold
value if not slightly increase over time. blown out games off location
will never go for under 2k because at that price you have a larger
market than those who can afford 4k pins.

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

><lewben11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Maybe the anticipation that Pat Lawlor will save pinball again with
>> Nascar has many large ops trying to move older Stern titles now to get
>> in on it..? I am excited to see the finished result and think it
>> already has the look of something sweet and different from Lawlor and
>> Stern.
>> I think your right, there is always soft times in the summer for TIER
>> 2,3 pins but I do feel that the TIER 1 pins will always command higher
>> dollars. Which TIER a pin is in depends on the buyer of course.
>> IMHO I would put all the Stern,Sega,DE pins in TIER 2 and a majority of
>> the Williams Bally pins in TIER 1. Of course you have your occasional
>> ringer like GUns N Roses which takes off from time to time. Just my
>> thoughts.
>> Lewis

henri

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:36:10 -0400, pinlicious wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:53:24 -0700, "Ceegary" <ceegary@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>The market for HUO Sterns is still trying to find it's base. It seems that
>>most of the "must have a X Stern" crown bought new and the demand in the
>>secondary market is not as strong, so the prices have actually shown a
>>steady decline, even since the beginning of the this y ear.Ifyoucheckthe
>>archives, not too long ago there were some that thought those pins would
>>actually increase in value in the secondary market. Most ops have not sold
>>theirs yet, they're still operating them and the supply is coming more from
>>home buyers who have decided to sell. When the ops do sell it will give
>>buyers another option; lower prices with more wear. It's possible the prices
>>could firm up but they could continue to follow the trend-line and drop even
>>further.
>>
>>GRY
>
> prices won't drop on mint games. period.
>
> mint taf's sell for 4k+
> blown out ones sell for under 2k
>
> same with huo stern games.
> when they stop making popular titles, huo pins will spike and hold
> value if not slightly increase over time. blown out games off location
> will never go for under 2k because at that price you have a larger
> market than those who can afford 4k pins.
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

while this is true for TSPP and LOTR (elvis? haven't played it more than
a few times so i can't say), i can see all the PLD games ending up selling
at the same price as HRC does now (ie, below 2K)

those games aren't any more collectible than NBA:FB or Congo
(insert other not-super-popular WPC95 pin) and will end up in the same
price range. HUO will add a bit, just as it does for NBA:FB etc but taf is
not the same as any of the new PLD pins and will always be worth more than
a RCT or Monopoly.

*note i said "collectible" not fun to play etc. i like NBA:FB and HRC,
both are fun pins to play, just not worth a lot...

henri

On 4 Jul 2005 12:16:45 -0700, "JDix" <jennystiger@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I see the market softening a bit too, not just with sterns. It seems
>most pins have hit a ceiling, I don't see the typical 15% gains
>occurring this year as they have in the past couple years. Most of the
>higher demand titles are pretty expensive, and most people who want
>them already have them or have been priced out of the market. If
>anything it seems the lower end pins are making a run now. I wouldn't
>expect prices to drop really, but the plateau appears to be here. Do
>you really expect average TZ's and AFM's will be selling for
>$4,500-$5,000 in 2 years? There will be some spikes around Xmas but I
>doubt these levels will be reached. Despite what the Fed says there is
>a lot of inflation across the board from houses to toilet paper. Pins
>fall in there somewhere. Higher interest rates will probably strain
>all price increases eventually. A lot of people have had very easy
>access to money for the past couple years and right now. If that
>changes the markets for recreational luxury items like pins can only
>suffer.

it is the dog days of summer. until we see price drops in the winter
months, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. the sport of pinball is year round, but
the playoffs start in september and things maxi out in december.

right now, homeowners don't buy squat. once everyone starts jonesing
for pins, we will look back on this and laugh ;-)

On 4 Jul 2005 12:30:53 -0700, gpctv02@yahoo.com wrote:

>For example, they made 15,000 TZ's
>
>If Wayne comes out with new decals and new playfields, do you realize
>how easy it would be to take the old TZ junkers and FLOOD the market
>with nicer ones thanks to people like Chris and David and Bryan and
>probably others who will get into the business?
>
>we are only a few hundred playfields away from saturating the markets
>
>gary

you are soooo dumb.

so you get a blown out tz for 1.5k (MAYBE)
re-run pf- 5hundy (MAYBE)
new plastic set 1 hundy (MAYBE)
bulbs, rubbers, legs, coin door, rails, yadda yadda yadda $400 (MAYBE)
bew cab decals 2 hundy (MAYBE)
tack on $1k profit to even make it worth their time (MAYBE)
translite?
speaker panel?
dmd?
clearcoat playfield?
ramps?
protectors?
yada
yada
yada?

well, you do the math dumbass. YEAH, PRICES ARE JUST GONNA DROP!

you idiot.

DANCE BOZO!

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

>gary

....and the king of pinball isn't man enough to leave his posts on the
group for a whole day.

Why waste your time if you are going to start a topic and then bail
because you are not man enough to stand by your posts?

loser
Kirb

Pin ...

fumes are seriously messing with my head

by the way, didn't you say that the price increases by Stern, made
every good title HUO pin worth $3500 minimum?

I could have sworn you said that

but it doesn't matter

back to the fumes

gary

well sure, i said POPULAR TITLES :)

>those games aren't any more collectible than NBA:FB or Congo
>(insert other not-super-popular WPC95 pin) and will end up in the same
>price range.

i think even less. i would much rather have a congo than a mono, rct,
or R.I.P.leys all day long.

HUO will add a bit, just as it does for NBA:FB etc but taf is
>not the same as any of the new PLD pins and will always be worth more than
>a RCT or Monopoly.

for a short while anyway ;-)

neck-car is another chance for pld to prove something to players. the
theme is spot on and will sell, but how will us geeks accept it? time
will tell.

>*note i said "collectible" not fun to play etc. i like NBA:FB and HRC,
>both are fun pins to play, just not worth a lot...

well, hrc is pretty fun. nbafb? fun? maybe after a hit of the laughing
leaf ;-)

On 4 Jul 2005 15:46:27 -0700, gpctv02@yahoo.com wrote:

>I think it stand to reason that unless we get a lot of new collectors
>in the hobby, we are going to see a glut of machines with leveling
>prices
>
>or maybe even prices dropping for lack of buyers ...
>
>Parts are becoming available
>
>playfields, decals etc ....
>
>It's like, be careful what you wish for, you might actually get it
>
>The problem with the market absorbing more pins is a "not enough room
>in the house problem", not a lack of desire for games
>
>I have 31 games here now ...
>
>That is kind of the limit ...
>
>gary

nah, your wrong.

On 4 Jul 2005 17:26:58 -0700, gpctv02@yahoo.com wrote:

>Pin ...
>
>fumes are seriously messing with my head
>
>by the way, didn't you say that the price increases by Stern, made
>every good title HUO pin worth $3500 minimum?
>
>I could have sworn you said that
>
>but it doesn't matter
>
>back to the fumes
>
>gary

and?

don't you have better things to do than troll? man, your life MUST
really be boring. maybe you can figure out some other product that you
can jack the price up and and stick it to people again? that is what
you are good at right? still waiting for you to come up with one name.
you know, one person you are friends with on this group that don't use
you for your dollars. too bad money buys you pinball stuff but can't
buy you a friend. once you kid learns to talk you will have 3 people
to talk to then. your wife, your child, and yourself. won't that be
fun?

sad, sad, sad.

dance homey!

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Let it go ...

The hate is no longer needed

I used to get a kick out of you guys getting all hot and bothered for
me and my stupid opinions

BUT

it has gotten BORING ...

ok ...

give it a rest, no one cares anymore

it is like a sitcom that has been re-run for the 50th time

gary

>I used to get a kick out of you guys getting all hot and bothered for
>me and my stupid opinions

Once again you are trying to turn the topic away from you. Let's try to
get back on point-

You are wrong about WHY pin prices are soft. You are trying to find
SOME ammo to blame Stern for something (god knows why). I'm still
having a tough time figuring out what/who's side you are on today.
Pro-Stern, Anti-Wayne- Anti-Stern, Pro-Wayne. It must even get
confusing for you.

I'm calling you out for what you said HERE, not what moronic things you
have said in the past. I'm talking about the moronic things you are
saying NOW.

Kirb