[SOLVED] Ping changes constantly between 20ms and 50ms

Jimmdon

Reputable
Mar 27, 2016
Hello,

As of late I've been having Ping issues (LAN). To be more specific, it keeps constantly rising between 20ms and 50ms which makes Gaming for example impossible, as it results in constant lagging and sound issues etc.

Now, I'm using a new modem which has been installed roughly 2 months ago, the Ping issue only started appearing last week. I checked the modem control system and there seems to be no issue at all with either unsolved errors or the house cable. I restarted the thing multiple times as well as set it back to default settings and whatever else one can think of.

When running a Ping test via the Windows CMD it changes between 20 and 50 with every new update (ping whatever.de -t).

Any ideas on where this problem might come from?

Some infos:
- Windows 10
- 120 mbit connection (LAN)
- No other users in the household
- LAN cable is working properly (I tried changing them)
- It doesn't matter whether I'm watching 10 streams at once or absolutely nothing - the problem is consistent (I tried closing absolutely every app I can think of, nothing changes)

Cheers in advance

Solution
Then you are not using the tools properly. You can not say you get no problems in the net graph and still see issues with the ping.

Go back to my above post and test systematically. You must find the hop that is causing the problem if you expect someone to fix the network. You are at this point going to have to prove to the ISP that they have a problem with their network.

Best case would be to see the issue in hop 2 which represents the connection to your house. If the problem is say between your ISP and another ISP or completely within another ISP you have no hope of getting that fixed.
Pinging to a end IP address does not tell you much the problem can be anyplace in the path. Does not pay to spend lots of time trying to fix your PC when you don't know if the problem is even in your house.

Your first step it to ping your router ip. You should see 1ms with maybe small spikes to say 2-5ms. That is mostly errors in the testing not actual spikes.

Next step is to run tracert to some ip address. You then ping the hops in the trace trying to find the one that has these spikes.

Note a extra 50ms will not likely impact your game. Generally you need large numbers like 200ms or more to have it impact most games.

Jimmdon

Reputable
Mar 27, 2016
Pinging to a end IP address does not tell you much the problem can be anyplace in the path. Does not pay to spend lots of time trying to fix your PC when you don't know if the problem is even in your house.

Your first step it to ping your router ip. You should see 1ms with maybe small spikes to say 2-5ms. That is mostly errors in the testing not actual spikes.

Next step is to run tracert to some ip address. You then ping the hops in the trace trying to find the one that has these spikes.

Note a extra 50ms will not likely impact your game. Generally you need large numbers like 200ms or more to have it impact most games.

Hey,
pinging my router is constantly at <1ms.

Regarding the impact of the game: I made two recordings yesterday, where you can clearly see that it in fact does hurt the game. Note that some sounds dont even work and the sprays of a gun in the second clip are supposed to be steady and not lag around. When opening the net graph I don't see any choke or loss.

Link 1:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_mVbLyFt2c&feature=youtu.be

Link 2:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elzypygyHrQ&feature=youtu.be

If you find no problems in the network graph it means the game is telling lies. Many games blame the network. If a packet arrives but the game is too busy updating say graphics when it finally gets around to taking the packet it will blame the delay on network when in reality the program never bothered to check quickly.

Not sure I would first try to find game setting that may cause this it does not appear to be a actual network problem.

Jimmdon

Reputable
Mar 27, 2016
If you find no problems in the network graph it means the game is telling lies. Many games blame the network. If a packet arrives but the game is too busy updating say graphics when it finally gets around to taking the packet it will blame the delay on network when in reality the program never bothered to check quickly.

Not sure I would first try to find game setting that may cause this it does not appear to be a actual network problem.

I can definitely say that it is not a problem with the game settings, since I get the same ping issues/whatever you wanna call it when playing something else or just checking my connection via the before mentioned ping test via the cmd.exe

Then you are not using the tools properly. You can not say you get no problems in the net graph and still see issues with the ping.

Go back to my above post and test systematically. You must find the hop that is causing the problem if you expect someone to fix the network. You are at this point going to have to prove to the ISP that they have a problem with their network.

Best case would be to see the issue in hop 2 which represents the connection to your house. If the problem is say between your ISP and another ISP or completely within another ISP you have no hope of getting that fixed.

Solution