Ping shoots up when my sister turns on her computer. Please help!

Aug 31, 2018
For the past month my internet has been very bad whenever my sister turns on her computer.
I am on a wired connection using a TP-Link and she is using wireless. I have tried many things to try and resolve the issue. My download upstairs in my room is around 7-13 mbps maximum with 8-9 upload and downstairs when connected straight to my router with an Ethernet cable it's around 44 mbps download with 9 mbps upload. But when downstairs my ping is still crazy high. I upgraded my Ethernet cable to a CAT6a to try and improve the connection but unfortunately it didn't change much at all, I have tried wifi instead of wired but it just worsens the connection. I thought it could be the amount of bandwidth we were provided as it would be fine until my sister's computer was turned on, so recently I have upgraded to the highest internet speed provided which is 66mbps, im with PlusNet by the way and have been with them for about 3 years now. The internet used to be fine and I just can't figure out what the problem could be. I have disabled countless things on my computer to try and resolve the issue too. It's not a problem between me and the game server I don't think as when I ping the connection between my computer and my router in cmd it shows high ping there too. I've called my internet provider 3 times now and they have said they couldn't do anything about ping related issues. I have also asked my internet provider if there is any way to prioritize my device over others in the house but unfortunately every person says no, I have port forwarded the games I play, but I still receive high ping. Is this problem hardware related or is it simply just my area. I wouldn't think it would be my area as it's fine when ever my sister isn't on her PC. I'm really stuck and it sucks not being able to play with my friends anymore, any solutions will be much appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Solution
the only good qos for bufferbloat is fq_codel. the ERX router has it for $50. if your wifi is a modem/wifi router then you may need an access point to replace the wifi. it seems your speeds are not great on wifi. unifi ap lite is very good.

the isp line quality needs to be high. if your speeds are inconsistent qos won't work well.
Perfectly normal, u just discovered SHARING with other people. Of course the ISP can't do anything for u, all they are responsible is getting the signal to your modem, what happens after that, is user's responsibility. I offer QOS, that's all I have.

the only good qos for bufferbloat is fq_codel. the ERX router has it for $50. if your wifi is a modem/wifi router then you may need an access point to replace the wifi. it seems your speeds are not great on wifi. unifi ap lite is very good.

the isp line quality needs to be high. if your speeds are inconsistent qos won't work well.

Solution