[SOLVED] Ping spike on applications undetected by cmd ping

Mar 8, 2019
For more than a week now i've been getting these random ping spikes on various applications (Discord, Overwatch, Twitch.tv), they are completely random in occurance but the spikes get me from 30-40ms up to 4000ms.
Here are my specs and what i've tried:
I'm on a desktop with Windows 7 wire connected to my ISP provided modem (Smart Modem Technicolor)
ISP is Telecom Italia, i'm connected via fttc (I think so at least), speedtest says i average 85mb/s (down) and 13mb/s (up).
I'm using Killer E2200 Gigabit ethernet controller.
Pinging both modem and/or google while having this issue doesn't detect anything (stable <1ms for modem and ~20ms for google) but discord gets spikes of up to 4k (changing the region of the server actually makes the average ping worse), twitch.tv stream sometimes stops for a second or two and on Overwatch i get ping spikes for a second or two.
Network usage from task manager never goes above 0.02%, i've updated both modem firmware and my pc drivers.
Calling my ISP they told me to lower the modem firewall settings and/or reset the modem to factory settings, and if that didn't work the problem was mine, obviously that didn't work.
I honestly don't know what other tests to run to pinpoint what's the problem and how to proceed to solve it.

Solution
Although it might not be the problem the garbage "gamer" software used by killer causes all kinds of strange network errors. This software really does nothing for real latency but unfortunately with killer it is not just uninstalling it. They have integrated the support into their drivers so you need to install a special driver from their site with all the killer features removed.

You need to let the ping cmd run in a background window. Sometimes it is traffic load in general that causes the problem. Be sure you are ping either the game servers if they will respond or some common ip like 8.8.8.8
Although it might not be the problem the garbage "gamer" software used by killer causes all kinds of strange network errors. This software really does nothing for real latency but unfortunately with killer it is not just uninstalling it. They have integrated the support into their drivers so you need to install a special driver from their site with all the killer features removed.

You need to let the ping cmd run in a background window. Sometimes it is traffic load in general that causes the problem. Be sure you are ping either the game servers if they will respond or some common ip like 8.8.8.8

Solution
Mar 8, 2019

Looks like the culprit was the drivers, i uninstalled everything i had from Killer software and downloaded these drivers, while installing i unchecked everything but E2X-serie drivers, after rebooting i jumped on discord to check and looks like it is fixed, average ping is 40ms (highest peak was 58ms over a 5min period).
I hope this isn't just luck but nevertheless thank you SO MUCH.
I still wonder why ping wouldn't show anything wrong when i ran ping 8.8.8.8 -t > log.txt?

Those drivers try to prioritize what it things is game traffic. This is almost a stupid concept since the only way you could get a data queue is if you were uploading too much data to the internet and a 1gbit port on the pc is generally faster than any internet connection in the first place. The software can do nothing about overloads on the download side since it is overloaded before it gets to the machine and many time it is in the ISP network.

Because the software examines traffic it seems to be limiting some traffic for some reason and not others. So ping traffic would look different than other traffic. They think this is some kind a secret advantage so they don't say what they are doing but it does not take much searching on the killer chipset to see massive discussion of this problem.

I would not even have suggested it unless it has fixed the problem for multiple people who ask similar questions on this forum before. It sounds crazy that software that is suppose to help games actually makes them worse many times.

Reactions: Ramzah
Mar 8, 2019
Those drivers try to prioritize what it things is game traffic. This is almost a stupid concept since the only way you could get a data queue is if you were uploading too much data to the internet and a 1gbit port on the pc is generally faster than any internet connection in the first place. The software can do nothing about overloads on the download side since it is overloaded before it gets to the machine and many time it is in the ISP network.

Because the software examines traffic it seems to be limiting some traffic for some reason and not others. So ping traffic would look different than other traffic. They think this is some kind a secret advantage so they don't say what they are doing but it does not take much searching on the killer chipset to see massive discussion of this problem.

I would not even have suggested it unless it has fixed the problem for multiple people who ask similar questions on this forum before. It sounds crazy that software that is suppose to help games actually makes them worse many times.

Wow, i never would have thought that, thanks a lot for the explanation, appreciate it.