[SOLVED] Ping spikes when pinging router, and at daily gaming usage

santos_fc

Commendable
Apr 19, 2017
Hello all,
I have a TP-LINK Archer C7 with DD-WRT, and my ping spikes, from time to time, from around 15 ms to around 200-250 ms for some seconds.

It happens when wired to my pc, or wireless with my Xbox One. I used the ping command to 192.168.1.1 (my router), so the router is probably the issue.

I tried changing the LAN network cable, but nothing changed.

I have a 200/100 fiber connection.

What more can I do?

Thanks.

Solution
It is extremely strange to see large ping spikes to a router on a ethernet connection. The only way this can really happen is the router receives the request and is busy doing something else so it holds it in a buffer and responds when it is less busy. This is not uncommon if you were say passing large amounts of data or running vpn on the router which uses lots of cpu. If you are just running ping it should not have much affect.

I am going to suspect dd-wrt. It is very difficult to get a stable release they seem to constantly be adding junk. I would try another image if you can find one. You could also load the factory firmware back and see if it makes a difference. I am going to bet you see cpu spikes when this is...
It is extremely strange to see large ping spikes to a router on a ethernet connection. The only way this can really happen is the router receives the request and is busy doing something else so it holds it in a buffer and responds when it is less busy. This is not uncommon if you were say passing large amounts of data or running vpn on the router which uses lots of cpu. If you are just running ping it should not have much affect.

I am going to suspect dd-wrt. It is very difficult to get a stable release they seem to constantly be adding junk. I would try another image if you can find one. You could also load the factory firmware back and see if it makes a difference. I am going to bet you see cpu spikes when this is happening, maybe it will tell you what process is running.

I don't know if they fixed it but dd-wrt did not support many of the cpu bypass features that lets you run very fast internet connections. It would top out in the 200-250mbps on many routers. Even if it supports it you have to be very careful what features you use in dd-wrt because anything that needs the traffic to pass the cpu will need to disable that feature. Even simple stuff like traffic monitoring can make it so you can not use the bypass feature.

Note this is also true with factory images you have to be very careful what features you use. Pretty much this means you can not use consumer routers on high speed internet connections to do much more than simple NAT.

Solution

santos_fc

Commendable
Apr 19, 2017

I am going to suspect dd-wrt. It is very difficult to get a stable release they seem to constantly be adding junk. I would try another image if you can find one. You could also load the factory firmware back and see if it makes a difference. I am going to bet you see cpu spikes when this is happening, maybe it will tell you what process is running.

I don't know if they fixed it but dd-wrt did not support many of the cpu bypass features that lets you run very fast internet connections. It would top out in the 200-250mbps on many routers. Even if it supports it you have to be very careful what features you use in dd-wrt because anything that needs the traffic to pass the cpu will need to disable that feature. Even simple stuff like traffic monitoring can make it so you can not use the bypass feature.

Note this is also true with factory images you have to be very careful what features you use. Pretty much this means you can not use consumer routers on high speed internet connections to do much more than simple NAT.
I don't remember if I had this issue before dd-wrt, so I will try to revert to the original firmware.

Thanks for the response.