[SOLVED] Ping spikes while in Discord

FreezyDuck

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
So i get these random ping spikes while im in a call on discord, but whenever im not, my ping is fine. I just changed routers and its 100mb/s so it shouldnt do this (i think?).

Heres me pinging google while im in a call:

Pinging google.com [216.58.209.206] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.58.209.206: bytes=32 time=314ms TTL=59

Reply from 216.58.209.206: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=59

Reply from 216.58.209.206: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=59

Reply from 216.58.209.206: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=59

Solution
Completely unpredictable way to many variables to even guess how well something like that will work.

Could be as simple as the cell tower is not getting enough signal from your router. Try putting it near window or moving it.

There is almost nothing you can do. The cell tower is in full control of the radio part of your router.

Even when it works well you still get random issues because the load on cell towers change for example as people drive by in their cars. The cell tower will give priority to not dropping a connection to someone that needs to switch from tower to tower over your traffic. If the cell tower is busy it might delay your traffic.

In any case it is either going to work well enough for your or it is not...
Ping your router IP instead.

You would think if it was discord actually causing it you would have issue to your local router.

How much upload speed do you have from your ISP. Do you think discord could be exceeding this.

Lately we have seen a number of people with similar questions with discord suspected of causing issues. So far it is unclear you would think it would have almost no impact since discord uses almost no bandwidth from what I have seen.

FreezyDuck

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Ping your router IP instead.

You would think if it was discord actually causing it you would have issue to your local router.

How much upload speed do you have from your ISP. Do you think discord could be exceeding this.

Lately we have seen a number of people with similar questions with discord suspected of causing issues. So far it is unclear you would think it would have almost no impact since discord uses almost no bandwidth from what I have seen.
Reply from : bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Thats from my ip, also while im in a call, im guessing its the local gateway from ipconfig? Upload should be 50 Mbps. I may have found the problem which is that my internet is set to my previous address for some unknown reason, even though i clearly stated that im moving and thats why im buying the internet and the router. Im calling my ISP tomorrow to tell them that and itll probably be fixed. Thanks for the reply.

FreezyDuck

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Yeah nvm, still not fixed. The signal and everything else is fine, for some reason its only the ping. Even without discord ping is 60-80ms which is not that good. Before the new router i had 5-30 ping with a router that almost had the same speed as this one, just slightly better.

Are you running on ethernet.

Do you have a separate modem or is the modem and router combined. If they are separate I would try to plug directly into the modem and see if there is any difference.

Generally if the ping is consistently higher it means the path is longer. This is different than a spike it is when it always is higher. Extra 50ms though is huge.
It could be the IP address for google.com changed. They use a lot of different IP to load balance. This tends to be why it is better to ping 8.8.8.8 when you want to test a internet connection.

FreezyDuck

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Are you running on ethernet.

Do you have a separate modem or is the modem and router combined. If they are separate I would try to plug directly into the modem and see if there is any difference.

Generally if the ping is consistently higher it means the path is longer. This is different than a spike it is when it always is higher. Extra 50ms though is huge.
It could be the IP address for google.com changed. They use a lot of different IP to load balance. This tends to be why it is better to ping 8.8.8.8 when you want to test a internet connection.
Sorry I was talking these past days on my ISP forums about this problem and they still havent helped me. Yes i am using ethernet and only a router.

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=59
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=59
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=332ms TTL=59
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=289ms TTL=59

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=59
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=59
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=59
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=59

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=124ms TTL=59
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=59
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=250ms TTL=59
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=141ms TTL=59

I may have found out the problem on the forums of my ISP, although i dont really understand what it means nor what i should do. So apparently whats bad is that my SNR (some signal i think?) sits at 0-6 dB and RSRQ at -11 dB, i dont know what this means or anything but its there if u know anything about it.

Without doing searches if I remember correctly RSRQ is related to mobile broadband.

Almost all issues you find on say a cable model or a DSL connection related to signal levels cause data loss not delays.

If you internet connection is coming into your house via some form of radio signal then that is the fundamental problem. I know when I run my cell phone tethered I see all kinds of ping spikes.

FreezyDuck

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Without doing searches if I remember correctly RSRQ is related to mobile broadband.

Almost all issues you find on say a cable model or a DSL connection related to signal levels cause data loss not delays.

If you internet connection is coming into your house via some form of radio signal then that is the fundamental problem. I know when I run my cell phone tethered I see all kinds of ping spikes.
Yes my router uses a SIM card, it still shouldnt cause such high ping spikes, many of my friends use this type of internet connection without any problems.

Completely unpredictable way to many variables to even guess how well something like that will work.

Could be as simple as the cell tower is not getting enough signal from your router. Try putting it near window or moving it.

There is almost nothing you can do. The cell tower is in full control of the radio part of your router.

Even when it works well you still get random issues because the load on cell towers change for example as people drive by in their cars. The cell tower will give priority to not dropping a connection to someone that needs to switch from tower to tower over your traffic. If the cell tower is busy it might delay your traffic.

In any case it is either going to work well enough for your or it is not. Discord at least has some ability to buffer traffic, online games are massively worse to try to play on some cell networks.

Solution