Pinnacle Studio 9 questions

hello,

i am thinking about buying this video editing software package. i've read
the specs and looked on the web site. it doesn't seem like studio 9 supports
..ASF files which is the format that my digital camera/camcorder saves movies
as. i have not done this before, but i figure that i will need to convert
the .asf files to another format.

my first question is what format should i convert the .ASF files to so that
i can edit them in studio 9?
what tool should i use to convert the files.

thank you.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

You really need to get it to an avi. Just type in .asf to .avi into google
and you'll have plenty of options. You don't want any of the divx compressed
ones though.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i am thinking about buying this video editing software package. i've read
> the specs and looked on the web site. it doesn't seem like studio 9
supports
> .ASF files which is the format that my digital camera/camcorder saves
movies
> as. i have not done this before, but i figure that i will need to convert
> the .asf files to another format.
>
> my first question is what format should i convert the .ASF files to so
that
> i can edit them in studio 9?
> what tool should i use to convert the files.
>
> thank you.
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.

hi graham,

i did what you said and found a few converters that were not divx
compressed. what does that mean? <smile>

i tried the trial version of ASF Converter
http://www.boilsoft.com/asfconverter/ and a few others, all which stalled
out or gave me an error.

i guess i'm still surprised that the converters are not built into software
like studio 9, that would make sense to me, but apparently there's something
i don't understand.

i'm downloading the trial version of studio 9, to see if i can make heads or
tails of how to use it.

thank you so much.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

"Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
: You really need to get it to an avi. Just type in .asf to .avi into google
: and you'll have plenty of options. You don't want any of the divx
compressed
: ones though.
: Graham
:
: --
: Graham Hughes
: MVP Digital Media
: www.dvds2treasure.com
: www.simplydv.com
:
: "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
: news:Ohd6bXwgEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > hello,
: >
: > i am thinking about buying this video editing software package. i've
read
: > the specs and looked on the web site. it doesn't seem like studio 9
: supports
: > .ASF files which is the format that my digital camera/camcorder saves
: movies
: > as. i have not done this before, but i figure that i will need to
convert
: > the .asf files to another format.
: >
: > my first question is what format should i convert the .ASF files to so
: that
: > i can edit them in studio 9?
: > what tool should i use to convert the files.
: >
: > thank you.
: > --
: > Indera
: > * * * * * * * * * *
: > Don't just live life.
: > Live life well.
: >
: >
: >
:
:

DOWNLOAD from Pinnacle trial version of (Pinnacle TRex) converts video
formats . Studio 9 is bril

"Dr. Indera" wrote:

> hi graham,
>
> i did what you said and found a few converters that were not divx
> compressed. what does that mean? <smile>
>
> i tried the trial version of ASF Converter
> http://www.boilsoft.com/asfconverter/ and a few others, all which stalled
> out or gave me an error.
>
> i guess i'm still surprised that the converters are not built into software
> like studio 9, that would make sense to me, but apparently there's something
> i don't understand.
>
> i'm downloading the trial version of studio 9, to see if i can make heads or
> tails of how to use it.
>
> thank you so much.
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.
>

> "Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
> : You really need to get it to an avi. Just type in .asf to .avi into google
> : and you'll have plenty of options. You don't want any of the divx
> compressed
> : ones though.
> : Graham
> :
> : --
> : Graham Hughes
> : MVP Digital Media
> : www.dvds2treasure.com
> : www.simplydv.com
> :
> : "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> : news:Ohd6bXwgEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> : > hello,
> : >
> : > i am thinking about buying this video editing software package. i've
> read
> : > the specs and looked on the web site. it doesn't seem like studio 9
> : supports
> : > .ASF files which is the format that my digital camera/camcorder saves
> : movies
> : > as. i have not done this before, but i figure that i will need to
> convert
> : > the .asf files to another format.
> : >
> : > my first question is what format should i convert the .ASF files to so
> : that
> : > i can edit them in studio 9?
> : > what tool should i use to convert the files.
> : >
> : > thank you.
> : > --
> : > Indera
> : > * * * * * * * * * *
> : > Don't just live life.
> : > Live life well.
> : >
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

hi lex,

thank you.
i just went to pinnacles web site. i searched, but did not see any real info
on the trex converter that you mentioned, only that i could purchase it.
i take it from what you wrote, the studio 9 does not come with a built-on
converter that converts asf files.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

"LEX" <LEX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: DOWNLOAD from Pinnacle trial version of (Pinnacle TRex) converts
video
: formats . Studio 9 is bril
:
: "Dr. Indera" wrote:
:
: > hi graham,
: >
[...]
: > :
: > : --
: > : Graham Hughes
: > : MVP Digital Media
: > : www.dvds2treasure.com
: > : www.simplydv.com
: > :
: > : "Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
: > : news:Ohd6bXwgEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > : > hello,
: > : >
: > : > i am thinking about buying this video editing software package. i've
: > read
: > : > the specs and looked on the web site. it doesn't seem like studio 9
: > : supports
: > : > .ASF files which is the format that my digital camera/camcorder
saves
: > : movies
: > : > as. i have not done this before, but i figure that i will need to
: > convert
: > : > the .asf files to another format.
: > : >
: > : > my first question is what format should i convert the .ASF files to
so
: > : that
: > : > i can edit them in studio 9?
: > : > what tool should i use to convert the files.
: > : >
: > : > thank you.
: > : > --
: > : > Indera
: > : > * * * * * * * * * *
: > : > Don't just live life.
: > : > Live life well.
: > : >
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
: >

Hi,
The editing apps don't come with these convertors because they are designed
for editing dv-avi files made by digital camcorders. Now that taking movies
using digital cameras is becoming more popular we may see more development
in this area, then again - we may not????? Dig. cameras do not have a std
format to save their movies too, which also leads to confusion.
Graham

--
> [...]
> : > : > i am thinking about buying this video editing software package.
i've
> : > read
> : > : > the specs and looked on the web site. it doesn't seem like studio
9
> : > : supports
> : > : > .ASF files which is the format that my digital camera/camcorder
> saves
> : > : movies
> : > : > as. i have not done this before, but i figure that i will need to
> : > convert
> : > : > the .asf files to another format.
> : > : >
> : > : > my first question is what format should i convert the .ASF files
> so
> : > : that
> : > : > i can edit them in studio 9?
> : > : > what tool should i use to convert the files.

hi graham,

thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. i really do appreciate
it.
i am very new to this.
i hope you are right that conversion tools will be built into the editing
software. it seems like a natural progression to me.

i looked on amazon.com for books for studio 9. i think i saw 3. i guess
there will be more in the future.

i find all of this very interesting, even though i don't have any artistic
ability <smile>

thanks again.
--
Indera

[...]
[...]
[...]