Pirate Party Posts Manifesto Online

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
they just want to get their foot in the door.
today its this, next year it will be legal sharing of all movies and games ever.
not that i disagree with what they want, i just don't trust their motives.

Vestin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]its this, next year it will be legal sharing of all movies and games ever.[/citation]
Next year ? What about "The right to share files provided no money changes hands." ?
As much as I agree with pretty much every other point they make, this is intolerable...

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]I woulda gone with "Pirate Party Publicly Posts Policy Preview"[/citation]

Darn, I knew I should have put some effort in! I just noticed it when I put it into the system and was like, "Hey, someone's wearing her clever trousers today..."

Snuffles

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I think the name is brilliant. At least we know what they stand for.

When cloud computing hits and all of our media content is not stored on any physical medium, what then? Will we be at the mercy of those people that lack any real skill other than to exploit and profit from the true genius.

jdp245

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
[citation][nom]intelliclint[/nom]The internet speed thing sounds good, but doesn't work out practically. If you are paying for a 6Mbps you are likely getting a 6Mbps connection . . .[/citation]

Sorry, but this is wrong. The FCC has in fact recently started cracking down on this in the US. Misleading marketing in this area is widespread. Many people "buy" higher bandwidth connections even though the infrastructure provided by the service is not capable of providing the bandwidths that they advertise.

jdp245

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Oh, and I absolutely hate the file sharing idea. If this becomes a "right" then you can say goodbye to any content worth buying. It already pisses me off that I end up subsidizing pirates when I responsibly (and legally) purchase the games that I want to play. But it is better than a world publishers cannot profit at all, and thus stop producing content.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]robwright[/nom] "The right to share files provided no money changes hands." I CANNOT get behind this if it means that someone should be allowed to go to Pirate Bay and download Mass Effect 2 without paying for it.[/citation]
Do you know how much money the Pirate Bay rakes in? I mean, I'm sure it costs quite a bit of money to keep their servers running, but their profits aren't disclosed, and at the end of the day, they are making money through the copyrighted content of others (it says money, not profit).

If I'm understanding this properly it would pretty much mean that if this came into law, the Pirate Bay could be taken down. The only way "pirated" material could be shared would be by volunteers using their own resources.

Now personally, I think with services like Steam it would defeat sharing, since they don't mention forcing creators to allow their content to be shared. And even when the DRM is circumvented, it can often lead to some serious issues with the product.

G

I'm loving the internet service ideas, it would certainly solve the problem of paying for UP TO 30 Mbps and then having your ISP only give you 1 Mbps. IMO all ISPs that do this should be sued for false advertising.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
"A new right to format shift (for example, buy a CD then copy it to an iPod - which is currently illegal);
A new right to time shift (record a TV programme for watching later) "

Good idea

"A new right to share files (which provides free advertising that is essential for less-well-known artists)."

Bad idea. It's NOT the same as copying a tape (like people suggest). Tapes had a physical form of control. If you wanted all your friends to have it, you'll have to spend hours copying. If you copied on a massive scale, you would be arrested for intention to distribute copyrighted material. That system worked. Now, one person can rip a song to their hard drive and post it on a file server. Now, thousands of people have access and it didn't take but 5 minutes. The major problem is distribution is ridiculously easy.

I don't know the solution, but that definitely isn't it.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]I like a lot of their ideas, but anon34567 has it down. That name is going to kill them because most people won't read the manifesto and will jump right to conclusions. (I know i did...)[/citation]
I've followed the Pirate Party for a while. As anyone who has, will realize that they actually have legitimate goals.
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Darn, I knew I should have put some effort in! I just noticed it when I put it into the system and was like, "Hey, someone's wearing her clever trousers today..."[/citation]
Now I'm imaging your 'lucky clever trousers', as being an old pair of boxers that haven't been washed in years... Yeah, thanks, totally needed that though.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
The main pirate party has been around for awhile. There actually IS a US-based offshoot as well. Any of the local to a country parties lift the majority of their ideas and goals from the original one. (but there can be differences since it's just their take on them)

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I read France has TV, Internet, and Phone for $33USD with the equivalent of a 15/2MBPS service... we're getting ripped off down here.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
good ideas all around, especially the part about only paying for the amount of bandwidth you're actually getting, that's how it should have always been. although, since i work for an isp, i can imagine the headache this will cause with every customer running speed tests and calling in demanding their bill be adjusted according to the results.

tj_the_first

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
It only takes a party like this to get a couple of percent of the vote and the old boys will sit up and take notice pretty darn quick. They'll never have control but they can at least be a voice.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Now I'm imaging your 'lucky clever trousers', as being an old pair of boxers that haven't been washed in years... Yeah, thanks, totally needed that though.[/citation]

Gross! I'll have you know I'm a very hygienic person!

Status
Not open for further replies.