Question PK keys and Secure Boot no post ?

Oct 16, 2023
After trying to upgrade my gfs computer to windows 11 I think I might have bricked her pc. All my fans come on and pc starts normally. Sometimes it'll restart and then stay on. I have removed the CMOS battery, shorted the prongs for Bios reset and it still won't post. I also tried removing the M.2 drive, using motherboard HDMI (before I looked up that my CPU doesn't have integrated graphics) Tv shows no signal no matter what I do.

I did MBR2GBT /convert, restarted, booted fine. Went into bios changed settings to enable PK keys so I could enable secure boot and now it doesn't post and have no display.

CPU - Intel I7-9700F

MOBO - Gigabyte B365M-D3SH Wifi

Ram - Corsair Vengence CL 16 2666MH

GPU - 2070 Super

PSU - High Power HP1-J650GD-F12S

I'm debating on just buying a new CPU/MOBO and possibly PSU because I have never heard of the High Power brand before. I've been messing with this for about 4 hours now and I'm kind of giving up lol. Just came here to see if there is something else I can do to possibly not have to replace MOBO.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023
A co-worker of mine had a similar issue a few weeks ago. Swapping in a CPU with an integrated GPU allowed him to recover the motherboard.
Hmm maybe I'll order a cheap cpu with integrated graphics to test this, found one for like 60 bucks which is cheaper than the 400 i was going to spend on just upgrading everything. I really didn't expect this to be such a side adventure.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hmm maybe I'll order a cheap cpu with integrated graphics to test this, found one for like 60 bucks which is cheaper than the 400 i was going to spend on just upgrading everything. I really didn't expect this to be such a side adventure.
Make sure it is a compatible model listed for the motherboard.

Oct 16, 2023
Make sure it is a compatible model listed for the motherboard.

When he installed the CPU with integrated graphics, I'm assuming he just set his BIOS to factory settings or turned off secure boot then the old cpu worked?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
When he installed the CPU with integrated graphics, I'm assuming he just set his BIOS to factory settings or turned off secure boot then the old cpu worked?
You will need to remove the video card, use the processor built in graphics, change the settings back, then you can add the video card again.

EDIT this is one of the reasons I don't recommend a processor without built in graphics it can be well worth the extra 15 bucks.

Oct 16, 2023
You will need to remove the video card, use the processor built in graphics, change the settings back, then you can add the video card again.

EDIT this is one of the reasons I don't recommend a processor without built in graphics it can be well worth the extra 15 bucks.
Yeah I bought this pc as a pre-built, I recently built my pc and gifted this one to her. It works for what she plays but wasn't enough for what I wanted lol. I ordered a G5600F to attempt to fix this. Should be in tomorrow to at least try. It's from Amazon at least so I can return it if it doesn't work. Honestly might just keep if it does, was only 40 bucks. Thanks for the guidance. Hopefully this fixes it.

Oct 16, 2023
Well after ordering a new CPU (Intel Pentium Gold G5420) and installing it, plugging the HDMI directly into my motherboard, i still get no signal. I'm not really sure where to go from here besides buying another motherboard and CPU.

Oct 16, 2023
EDIT
I FIXED IT!

Tried to plug into my other pcs monitor instead of using the HDMI on the TV she was using to play and it solved my issues. Thank you everyone for your help