Question Plagued by BSOD’s after GPU Undervolt everytime I start a game

Nov 3, 2022
For the past 2 days I’ve been having a hell of a time trying to even comprehend the issue but no use. Recently I bought Resident Evil Village, wanted to try it out and worked fine.

While doing that I was checking my system temps and thought they needed a little cooling(minimal because they are still under normal temps). I decided to learn about undervolting and successfully did it to my cpu.

My demise starts when I try the same with my GPU. I got Afterburner (MSI) and Heaven Uningine Benchmark to test the process. Everything is going well after starting to undervolt, the benchmark is running good, I can play the game, no crashes whatsoever.

But then I also wanted to try to Undervolt + OC the GPU… I let Afterburner OC Scan and the result was unstable and quickly reverted it. Didn’t try it again. After that every time I started Resident Evil Village I immediately got BAD_POOL_CALLER or KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION Bsods.

I tried with different games like Apex Legends and Destiny 2. Unlike RE8, Apex sometimes let me go into the menu until I started searching for a match and then the same. Somehow D2 ran fine, no BSODs.

Still, I bought a game and wanted to play it. So I did everything that I could to fix the BSOD’s. Let me show you this hell trip of what I’ve tried:

-Reset Afterburner settings to default
-Reverted OC
-sfc /scannow and dism.exe restore health with command prompt.
-Restored my CPU voltage to normal
-Clean uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia Drivers.
-Reset my PC files (Personal files still remained)
-Factory Reset my PC (Goodbye World)

There are probably a few more but can’t recall. And I’m still having the same problem. I hope somebody can help me out with this😅.

PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700X (Undervolt -0.05, everything el
Asus B450-F Gaming
Corsair Vengance LPX C15 32GB (3000mhz)
EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra Gaming (Stable undervolt was 0.950 - 0.975 at 1905hz)
Corsair RMX 650W Gold+

I will love every beautiful soul that can help me with this forever. :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
So everything at defaults now? Have you tried resetting BIOS to defaults? Never know, could be something you missed.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Reactions: Bsven
Nov 3, 2022
So everything at defaults now? Have you tried resetting BIOS to defaults? Never know, could be something you missed.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
Thanks! I will do that when back home, will keep you posted!

I just tried with the default BIOS settings and it still didn't work. On the other hand, I believe I've isolated the problem. It seems like the games currently in my NVME drive are the ones giving me BSODs, Tried with games that I have in my other drives and they played normally. Here is the link to the dumps https://www.dropbox.com/s/hj81i3ptd0x52lz/2 small dumps 1 kernel.zip?dl=0
Is this drive your boot drive? If not remove it then reset the bios.
Reboot the system then reinstall the drive.
You could then try updating the firmware for the ssd.
Another option is to ensure the drive isnt overheating.

Nov 3, 2022
Is this drive your boot drive? If not remove it then reset the bios.
Reboot the system then reinstall the drive.
You could then try updating the firmware for the ssd.
Another option is to ensure the drive isnt overheating.
Not my boot drive. I did that and to top it off formatted it too. It's fairly new too but I checked with crystalkdiskinfo and the temps are fine. Looking up new firmware for it right now (and also installing a game to test it)