Question Plastic covering coming off from the laptop hinge.

May 4, 2022
Hey there, I need desperate help.

Just now, a while ago, on putting my laptop's display a bit to the back there was a sudden crack and the plastic on top of the hinge came off . Like the hinge itself isn't broken although the plastic that covers it is. Could someone please elaborate the effects if I use the laptop without the plastic hinge, and will putting glue to the sides of the hinge and attaching it to the laptop sides work or not, and will it have a negative effect. And also, the laptop's a hp 15s.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please parse an URL image showing the extent of the damage on your laptop? Speaking of laptops, what is the SKU to your HP laptop? Might want to try and take some images in high resolution/close up of the hinge as well as the laptop in it's entirety. Often times the hinge needs to be battened down otherwise you have to deal with collateral damage whereby a stray hinge tends to add stress onto other parts of the laptop's chassis, causing more its to break off. If you will, you need the hinge to be sandwiched in order to prevent the laptop from disintegrating.

while cover itself is pretty much cosmetic and to stop dust/small grains of dirt from entering the laptop interior, it coming off by itself is usually indication of more serious problem.
the screws holding the hinge in place getting loose, slowly.
or hinge itself deciding to break.

the problem? said screws usually accelerate their "I want to unscrew myself and get lost" performance which can and will likely lead to further problems like hinge breaking off or webcam/mic/touchscreen funtionality going missing (quite few laptops route these through the hinge itself) and as such, if hinge shows any kind of movement that is not normal (rotation of hinge itself) someone should take a look at said screws.

Which is pretty much long version of what Lutfij said.

May 4, 2022
while cover itself is pretty much cosmetic and to stop dust/small grains of dirt from entering the laptop interior, it coming off by itself is usually indication of more serious problem.
the screws holding the hinge in place getting loose, slowly.
or hinge itself deciding to break.

the problem? said screws usually accelerate their "I want to unscrew myself and get lost" performance which can and will likely lead to further problems like hinge breaking off or webcam/mic/touchscreen funtionality going missing (quite few laptops route these through the hinge itself) and as such, if hinge shows any kind of movement that is not normal (rotation of hinge itself) someone should take a look at said screws.

Which is pretty much long version of what Lutfij said.

Can you please parse an URL image showing the extent of the damage on your laptop? Speaking of laptops, what is the SKU to your HP laptop? Might want to try and take some images in high resolution/close up of the hinge as well as the laptop in it's entirety. Often times the hinge needs to be battened down otherwise you have to deal with collateral damage whereby a stray hinge tends to add stress onto other parts of the laptop's chassis, causing more its to break off. If you will, you need the hinge to be sandwiched in order to prevent the laptop from disintegrating.
Here you go:

Here you go:
https://ibb.co/J5TH12x

The first one's how it looks at present and the second's when I loosen it from the laptop.