Players Report Problems With 'Mario Kart 8 Deluxe' Multiplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodroses

Distinguished
That might explain why Switches are sold out absolutely everywhere near me. Nintendo doesn't want too many people on yet since they know their servers aren't up to snuff... lol.

So technically we are beta testing Nintendo's online service so they can turn around and charge us for it when they finally get it right?

Game link cables are suddenly looking much more appealing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Link_Cable

I would imagine most parents and for that matter most people don't like purchasing services with monthly fees.

$10 a month for Xbox Gold
$10 a month for PlayStation Plus
$3-$5 a month for Nintendo "Something Something Pay Us Money"

Prices really start adding up and thats if you only own 1 device.

Buy each kid a switch and of course your monthly bill doubles if you expect them to be able to play against each other.

Gamespy was free and match-making is really all Nintendo is doing.

It's only a matter if time till some one reverse engineers the service and starts their own private service for themself and friends.

I'm assuming the service only acts as a virtual router of sorts making sure each person has a connection to each other.

An i5 should easily be able to handle 4-8 people for this kind of task in a local environment.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Ah, console woes. Where every game is $60 and then you have to pay a subscription to play those games online. It kind of feels like being in a first world country and looking at the problems in a second world country. #PCMasterRace #1stTrollClaimed

dstarr3

Distinguished
It's funny. Console gaming always used to be inexpensive and hassle-free, at least compared to PC gaming. But these days, PC gaming is getting cheaper and cheaper while console gaming is getting more and more expensive, and PC games are getting more and more stable while console games are getting less and less.

The days of "buy a box, plug it into your TV, plug in the cartridge and go" are long, long gone.

Not really the Switch runs cartridges without having to install them like Xbox One and PS4, and it's not rocket science to connect it to the TV.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Just wait until updates start kicking in and you have to spend two hours updating the console and the game every time you turn the thing on before you can actually play a thing.

PC games have updates the same way, and you're just making exaggerations to fit your agenda now.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Except it takes me twenty seconds to update because PC servers can fully saturate my bandwidth. Whereas every single time I start up my PS4, it crawls at <1MB/s because Sony's servers are underequipped and it takes an eternity for me to get into a game, which then needs to update for another eternity.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

At least for me, my PC is also on most of the time, while my consoles I turn on when I want to play, meaning my PC and games are usually up-to-date, while I usually have to wait 0.5 - 1 hour for the consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.