Playing Around With The Xbox Elite Wireless Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I just want an X-Box One controller with a decent DPAD. Since I'm apparently now an old man, I grabbed Mega Man Legacy Collection off of X Box Live. The DPAD was literally awful, so I ended up playing through all those old games with a joystick.
Bought it on the PC and sure enough, same problem with my XBONE controller, but my four year old Logitech controller was a treat.

Anyone else have these problems or do I just need to invest in a new controller (or pick one up used from a local game store)?

NunoAntunes

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I just want an X-Box One controller with a decent DPAD. Since I'm apparently now an old man, I grabbed Mega Man Legacy Collection off of X Box Live. The DPAD was literally awful, so I ended up playing through all those old games with a joystick.
Bought it on the PC and sure enough, same problem with my XBONE controller, but my four year old Logitech controller was a treat.

Anyone else have these problems or do I just need to invest in a new controller (or pick one up used from a local game store)?
I'm not sure how this Dpad is. I've heard the Xbone controller has a slightly less shite one but this one just seems awful. Maybe cuz I've never see a good "round" Dpad.
I also hate most of the dpads of modern controllers. Even most modern controllers with just dpads for old games seem crap. I've bought a thrustmaster firestorm digital and the Dpad's and buttons are all mushy, spungy and garbage.

NerdIT

Distinguished
I got a pair of the Star Wars edition wired XBONE controllers...made by PowerA. The D-pad is nice and tight good for old games I use it all the time.

$100 got me R2 and a Stormtrooper :)

I prefer having the cord-maybe because i'm old and it seems/feels right- don't know why. And also, screw losing any at any game for having bad connectivity/dead battery. :p

would love to know if the steam controllers d pad solution is good, or at least better than my 360 pad.

It's too expensive to buy one for testing. I've only heard how difficult it is for a game like Dark Souls 2. The issue(s) there might just be software and fixable. Still, it feels like a gamble this early in.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
People.......... Xbox controllers have always had awful D-Pads. The X1 one is much better and is at least usable now, but still not great.

However, come on why do you even bother with cheap third-party controllers???? Even the Logitech one has an awful D-Pad. Dualshock controllers have some of the best D-Pads ever made. Get a PS3 or PS4 controller. Also, Nintendo's are just as good. Get a Wii U Pro Controller. Simple as that.

You're gaming on PC guys, you can use any controller out there, and you choose the ones with awful D-Pads...

Of course if we're talking about playing on an Xbox console, then there's not much to do about it I suppose.

Jan 5, 2013
People.......... Xbox controllers have always had awful D-Pads. The X1 one is much better and is at least usable now, but still not great.

However, come on why do you even bother with cheap third-party controllers???? Even the Logitech one has an awful D-Pad. Dualshock controllers have some of the best D-Pads ever made. Get a PS3 or PS4 controller. Also, Nintendo's are just as good. Get a Wii U Pro Controller. Simple as that.

You're gaming on PC guys, you can use any controller out there, and you choose the ones with awful D-Pads...

Of course if we're talking about playing on an Xbox console, then there's not much to do about it I suppose.

To be fair there is a lot more factors than just the D-pad when choosing a controller. I use the Xbox One controllers because I think overall it's the best controller I've used especially with the refinements they've made on them this year but yes the D-pad is still not perfect, although it is vastly better than the 360 one.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
@DelightfulDucklings

Yes of course. I really like the X1 controller too overall, but personally, a good D-Pad is very important for me so I wouldn't buy one for my PC gaming. Of course if I ever buy an X1 one day, I'll more than gladly use its controller for certain games that don't require extensive use of the D-Pad.

I always use all the controllers I have for my PC gaming depending on which game I'm playing.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Yes of course. I really like the X1 controller too overall, but personally, a good D-Pad is very important for me so I wouldn't buy one for my PC gaming. Of course if I ever buy an X1 one day, I'll more than gladly use its controller for certain games that don't require extensive use of the D-Pad.

I always use all the controllers I have for my PC gaming depending on which game I'm playing.

I have to agree with Delightful here, the XB1 controller is the best "overall" controller so I use it for most PC games that are controller-friendly (and even some emulators). If you play a lot of retro 2D titles and/or old console games, my vote is for the Saturn controller and an adapter. The Saturn controller was/is the best controller for 2D games, especially fighting games.

Unfortunately it lacks some modern amenities so it won't work in every case, and you'd need to get a good working controller plus an adapter. I already own two nice examples since I have a Saturn. They make USB Saturn controllers but they're clones and I'm not sure how decent they are.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

lol why the hell did you downvote me and upvote yourself? You're not even disagreeing with me and you downvote...

Status
Not open for further replies.