PlayStation 3 SSD Upgrade Makes it Load Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
The load times in GT are very long, but I can't see my self purchasing a SSD to throw in my PS3. BTW I like what they did with Shawn White snowboarding their loading screens are an endless half pipe that you can ride on while the mountain is loading.

G

Isn't the point of consoles to plug and play, not to install, wait, and then play?

G

If there's any disk caching going on in the PS3, consider the need to replace the SSD frequently.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
It's decent that SSDs do actually work properly and show performance gains with speed on a ps3. It's a bit silly that someone would figure this out now, but it does show the ps3s expandability.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]microterf[/nom]meh, so you can quickly get to your crappy console graphics. I'll stick with a ssd in a PC, and graphics the way they're meant to be seen.[/citation]
Well good luck getting any PC to play some Gran Turismo, seeing as it's only going to be available on PS3. Yes I realize PC's are capable of better graphics but with some games it's not just about the graphics but about gameplay, and GT is good enough for me (and many others) to justify having a PS3 only for this title, oh and it's my Blu-Ray player too. This does make me want to upgrade the SSD already in my PC and pop the old one into the PS3 though.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I own GT5 and a PC...I'm disappointed with the graphics and gameplay of GT5 over that of GT4...its like...GT4...part 2.

For the amount of time it took to develop GT5...I expected much more than we got.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Must say I agree with jackt this is a frustration for 360 users.
I'd like to know though, will consoles play nice with an SSD?

If the console uses an SSD as an access table you're going to have exceeded the allowable writes in less than a year. And that would just be a sad waste of an SSD!

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Kahless01[/nom]they dont need it on the 360's load times arent as bad since the disc drive is faster. back to bed ps3 fanboy.[/citation]

A little bit faster, at times, yes. However, you can keep your obnoxiously loud disc drive, your hardware problems, and everything else for that matter.. Don't worry.. we can stop by the kitchen for a glass of warm milk on your way back to bed fanboi. ;P

that_id

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I'd be extremely interested to find out what times return by comparison with a Hybrid SSD/HDD like the Seagate Momentus Hybrid NCQ. Get 500GB for $120, if the speed is anywhere near the SSD speeds it would be more than worth it for the price. There's one poster in the reviews that said that's what he used it for and seemed impressed.
As for those of you who are so animate about your PC being so much better, one cost under 300 bucks and doesn't require hearing protection when I turn it on in the living room.
The other I only play if I'm offline and don't need to worry about the competition having a rig that cost over $5000 mean-while the same spoiled rich kid is talking about his 'skilllz.'

that_id

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
[citation][nom]that_id[/nom]As for those of you who are so animate about your PC being so much better, one cost under 300 bucks...[/citation]

Sorry meant to add that I have and use both a nice gaming rig PC and a PS3...

mugiebahar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet....[/citation]
water is wet and so is my girlfriend lol

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
You people are weird. Some of you are saying it makes more sense to boot Windows from and SSD once a day than it does to load game files from an SSD multiple times during a game session. Seriously, you put a 64GB SSD into a computer, and you can install and boot windows, but your games are going on a HDD storage drive. You put an SSD into a PS3, and you can install Gran Turismo 5. When I played Gran Turismo 3 in college, I played hours at a time, multiple tracks/laps/reloads/etc... Loading each of those tracks faster is a lot more important than loading windows faster the 1 or 2 times I might actually boot it up each day. I'm just sayin, this makes more sense than in a computer to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.