Playstation 3 YLOD'ed; Need help with Potential Mods.

ThirdWorldGuy

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Hi,
This is my first post so please don't ban/kill me if I'm in the wrong forum.

My PS3 YLOD'ed after 5 years, 3 months and 15 days. Now I must tell you that I have (at least tried to) take absolute care of it. I've never touched it with my bare hands so it does not have any fingerprints on it. YES I'm that paranoid. Well, now that it has gotten the infamous YLOD. I figure since opening the case to fix it, using one of the many fantastic guides, will most probably ruin the PS3's casing. So I've decided to mod the case with some exotic materials if possible.

I can easily upgrade and mod any computer so I figure the PS3 won't be too difficult would it?
Also I've repaired my items and electronics in general so don't take me for a complete fool.

Anyways here are my ideas in ascending order of preference, anyone see a potential hurdle please let me know and if you can find a fix or a workaround then that would be awesome!

1) A cuboid shaped solid wooden box approximately 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft by 0.5 ft with a rectangular hole in the lower back side of it for proper ventilation of the 40 GB PS3 Unit. AFAIK the 40 GB PS3 exhausts hot air from the rear of the console so I thought this would be okay. The box would be
similar to a large cigar box. It would have a hinged top just like a cigar box so that I can exchange disks; not that I use disks anymore except for that GTA V disk. All my games are digital so I would simply turn it on with the controller, use it, and then turn it off. Polished oak wood would look beautiful and expensive looking. Do-able I guess?

Obviously this box will be empty inside with except maybe light carpeting.

cigarbox.jpg

$T2eC16VHJGwFFY-SmV)bBR,Mdso)Dw~~60_35.JPG

2) This might seem weird but is it possible to recreate a metal outer shell for the PS3? Seems really far-fetched to me in which case I would revert to option number (3) although I might be wrong.

3) A simple but complete paint job of the case to something like a metallic grey color. No experience in paint jobs so is it possible? Somthing like this for (2) and (3)

img_19588-3.jpg

IMG_1393.JPG

4) Leather mod. It would look wow in beige leather!

jriquelme_modded_ps3_skyrim.jpg

Something like this laptop

k-medium.jpg

Now obviously you guys might suggest to me the PS4 is here buy that, or just a buy a new PS3 super slim they don't get the YLOD, send it in to sony for a $150 and they'll send you a new one. Also no silly stickers/decal suggestions. Those look nice but I don't like them but that's just my personal opinion. NO! this is my decision to repair and then mod (in that particular order) and it is final. Although I need help in the modding part.

Sorry for the wall of text,
Many thanks in advance guys!