PlayStation 4 to Be Ridiculously Expensive in Brazil

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksio89

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Even with taxes and profit, the final price tag shouldn't be that much. Sony markup on PS4 is just ridiculously high.

The sad part is that a lot of (dumb) consumers will still purchase PS4 on launch date, mainly because of status. It's cheaper travelling and staying some days in NYC, buying a PS4 there and then coming back. You may even have some spare cash in your wallet after that. I don't want to even want to imagine how much the games will cost.

I'd rather build a high-end PC rig with that cash and then enjoying Steam sales.

3999.00 BRL in a country where the minimum wage worths less than 700.00, that's lovely .Not only our Government f*$%s us, companies do that as well.

ksio89

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Even with taxes and profit, the final price tag shouldn't be that much. Sony markup on PS4 is just ridiculously high.

The sad part is that a lot of (dumb) consumers will still purchase PS4 on launch date, mainly because of status. It's cheaper travelling and staying some days in NYC, buying a PS4 there and then coming back. You may even have some spare cash in your wallet after that. I don't want to even want to imagine how much the games will cost.

I'd rather build a high-end PC rig with that cash and then enjoying Steam sales.

3999.00 BRL in a country where the minimum wage worths less than 700.00, that's lovely .Not only our Government f*$%s us, companies do that as well.

dancovich

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I'm from Brazil and I can say as a fact that Sony is to blame here.

Taxes are high, but not THAT high. MS announced it will bring official Xbox One for R$ 2200 (roughly US$1000). That's US$850 less than the announced price for the PS4 and the Xbox One will suffer the same taxes the PS4 will suffer.

MS did the announcement months before Sony did, so Sony had plenty of time to do market research about this.

Also the user base here may be smaller than in US (everyone has a smaller user base than US) but we are ranked third to forth in the world in video game market (depends on the researcher).

There have been rumors that with low sales from the PS3 and Vita here (here the 360 outsell both Wii and PS3) very few units will actually be sent here. Sony Brasil do have a target profit to reach and show so maybe they decided to do this ridiculous pricing in an attempt to reach this target in such low number of units.

Gizeh Arrecillas

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
In Mexico, the official price is around $570 bucks, but we can make a little trip in one day and buy it in USA, cheaper. Anyway im not going to buy it, y prefer playing in my pc.

dgingeri

Distinguished
"In any case, it might be cheaper for Brazilian gamers to fly to the United States, buy a PS4, and then fly back. "

Then they'd have to pay the import duties and taxes, as well as airfare. That would probably end up as more.

mchawk

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
This is nothing but a failed try from Sony to negotiate lesser taxes to PS4 with BR gov. Since the gov gave a "no go", Sony went "oh yeah? mkay"

Our democracy is nepotism based... every big politician runner has its roots in some very important imperialist family... and even the so so or wannabe something good ones are to little of a fish to make the biggies scratch themselves...

juanml82

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
To those talking about "Black market": Sony doesn't, and can not in a capitalist economy, have the monopoly of selling PS4s. If Sony Brazil charges US$ 1850 for a PS4 and a small scale importer sees the potential market, buys PS4s in the USA or wherever, imports them in bulk and sells them for, let's say, US$ 1300, making a tangible profit, that's not black market. That small scale importer has every right to do so (which doesn't mean Sony Brazil will provide the warranty). It's called Grey Market.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The more games that is bought to a console the more it costs in hardware, its a software platform tax regardless on where its bought! Done the math and its not that many titles needed before a PC becomes a better a more economical choice - Not adding the additional PC benefits of updatability, customizations, backwards compatibility and better control options!

Primedio

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
I'm from Venezuela and the pricing here for the ps4 will range between 3000 ~3900$ :D and not to mention the Xbox One's.

Trantor

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
1 - NO, SONY is lying when they say that price is due to taxes. Even calculating with very high estimates for taxes, transport, insurance, etc, SONY would still be getting over 100% profit with each PS4 sold with those prices in Brazil

2 - but yeah, taxes are high in Brazil, and that is for everything, not only consoles. Search Google for articles regarding car prices in Brazil. A Jeep Grand Cherokee costs U$ 80k in Brazil. U$18k for a Ford Fiesta with 1.5 liters engine.

Trantor

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
1 - NO, SONY is lying when they say that price is due to taxes. Even calculating with very high estimates for taxes, transport, insurance, etc, SONY would still be getting over 100% profit with each PS4 sold with those prices in Brazil

2 - but yeah, taxes are high in Brazil, and that is for everything, not only consoles. Search Google for articles regarding car prices in Brazil. A Jeep Grand Cherokee costs U$ 80k in Brazil. U$18k for a Ford Fiesta with 1.5 liters engine.

Trantor

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Guilherme Moresco

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Hello there. Here's some good info for you to update this article:
Not only we Brazilians pay the most expensive price IN THE WORLD for the console, we are still waiting for the PlayStation Plus and the PlayStation Home services. We don't have PSN cards for the Brazilian Playstation Store (which took some years to be released here after being released in the US), I still am welcomed in the PlayStation website with a "Hola" and the content I see there is a mix of english - the language I marked as my preference, Portuguese - because I am Brazilian and Spanish, because stupid Sony couldn't even google the country they were working in when they started and at the very beginning they thought that the entire Latin America spoke spanish; and they still haven't updated parts of their website as well.

dancovich

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Plane tickets from São Paulo to Miami and back: US$600
PS4: US$ 400
Import taxes (60%): US$240
Total: US$ 1240
Brazilian announced PS4 price: US$1840

I looked for ticket prices for one day (go to Miami january first 2014, come back january 2), so with the remaining US$600 you can even stay at a good hotel and do a little tourism for one day.

jamger

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
this is an old post but just so u guys knows, a PS4 here on venezuela can be found up to 70k of local money.. thats over 11K $..

:-O that's a lot of $.
how much that pc in your sig cost in u.s.d.?

Status
Not open for further replies.