PlayStation Team Wants Android Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
The concept of a PSP phone running Android could be quite cool. I am looking forward to getting more info though. Price and carrier availability could make or kill this one.

maxh2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I'm not buying another phone until it'll actually be an UPgrade, not a sidegrade, to my nexus one with 1GHz processor that's been out for longer than it takes to gestate a human baby.

biao39

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I have Sony's flagship Xperia 10 which runs Android 1.6! Sony promised an upgrade later this year to Android 2.2 which is already old... Maybe they just need android engineers to make sure their flagship phones are not 1-2 years behind the rest of everybody else.

G

I just hid the 299.00 in my pillow so that I would not spend it. Now the only issue is which carrier would this be on. Me thinks I know. At&t! Why your ask? Because GSM is just about everywhere. No one with place this on CDMA. Although I would love to have a PSP phone on Cricket! LOL!

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Please, be true! Oh gees. I've been hoping for a PSPhone, to the point of near hysteria. It's the only thing that could turn my loyalty away from Nokia.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
android platform sucks for gaming...

oh yes, all those professional game devs are really gonna want to start coding all their games in Java...

God I hope they improve the dev toolchains.

renami9

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
PSP phone? will i buy it? of course, i'll even pre-order, so i can just bring a PSP phone instead of a PSP AND a phone anywhere i go.

[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]android platform sucks for gaming...oh yes, all those professional game devs are really gonna want to start coding all their games in Java...God I hope they improve the dev toolchains.[/citation]

Androids "Might" that's a big maybe, suck at gaming. But although i love the iPhone, Android is just so much lighter and faster than iOS4. My friends iPhone is not even half filled (it's a 3GS) and it's slower than watching paint dry. (more like slower than my cousins G1) so... I think I give android props, but... At least the iPhone has jailbreak XD even though thats illegal.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
You know what, i had a SONY P1i before, it died on me and the most important touch button, the menu, didnt work when pressed so I ditched it and sold it. But now after reading this, I think I might get back into getting another SOny Ericsson mobile again. THey did sport good cameras and great quality build.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I don't think they want android for its phone features but more is application based gaming features. Both app markets on iphone and android are huge and sony have only been marginally successful with their PSN minis copying them. With android already being established and PSP providing decent hardware aimed at gaming, applications could take a huge leap forward.

Does anyone remember Ngage? it was a good idea but in the end do you want something as bulky as a psp to act as your phone? Not to mention battery life of such a device if its heavily used!I can't really see it being kept within reasonable costs without it sucking as a phone or a gaming device. Maybe touch screens could change that but I can still see it costing too much if its to get the balance right between performance, battery and functionality.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
The android powered PSP mobile phone hybrid might be cool as long as it has an UMD drive or any other way of loading store bought games and the screen wont get any smaller. Also the games wont have to be written in java since they could just as easily use android as a subsystem or use some advanced hypervisor to run android parallel to a game OS or as a last resort they could just re-modify android to their needs.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Why are they putting a snaptdragon ship? They should go with tegra2. I have not read of the specs. But just on name brand along, I am willing to bet (except where prohibited by law) the Tegra2 is more powerful and would be ideal for gaming. I would not buy one though. I get more excited about the tech behind it than about playing games on a small screen. For game, I prefer to use my Desktop.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I still don't see a major software entertainment system maker going with an open operating system that they don't control the rights to publish for.

Even the systems that had a Windows based OS (Dreamcast, Xbox, and 360) were so closed in their manufacturing you still needed to purchase a dev kit to legitimately develop for it.

Open OS on gaming consoles will lead to the same inevitable fate that the grandfather consoles of gaming faced when there were too many developers releasing poor quality titles in large amounts in the early 80's. Didn't we learn anything from the crash of '83?

As much as people complained about how Nintendo controlled every aspect of game production on its system, it was that strategy that allowed the gaming market to rebuild itself, and we've kept the same strategy for years. Now we are going to go backwards and repeat the same mistakes.

If the iPhone was strictly a gaming system, and there was no phone plan or music portion of iTunes to tie to it to constantly draw revenue, it would have failed long ago on the software side due to the massive amounts of shovelware on its store. I mean really, how many damn tower defense, castle siege, infinite looped platform jumping, and catapulting games do we need?

We don't need an open OS on a console, we need one that is closed so that there is a greater level of QA for games being published for the system. Open OS's are really only viable on phones (to make among other things, interoperability between carriers and other models easier), computers (because sometimes you just need to customize certain things for varying hardware and needs) and home theatre entertainment devices like BD players and TV's so that it's easier for those to interact with each other with HDMI-CIC content and such.

Consoles don't need open OS's because there isn't any variation in the actual hardware specs aside from some improved fabrication processes to reduce cost and increase power/heat efficiency. The only reason anyone would need (and I'm talking actual NEED not WANT because I might use it on a random whim) an open OS on a console is to pirate and/or practice developing games. Which is what the general consumer does not do, and therefore tips the entire balance of risk reward for the manufacturer to leave themselves open to possible malicious use versus the additional appeal to the mostly rare power user who would make use of it without abusing it. Also, makes things easier when it comes to troubleshooting, for the most part with a closed OS, if you have an issue it's one they are aware of and know how to fix (or if it can't be fixed) and expedites the process a lot faster than if there was an open OS where someone could literally rewrite the kernel and jack things up beyond belief.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]Why are they putting a snaptdragon ship? They should go with tegra2. I have not read of the specs. But just on name brand along, I am willing to bet (except where prohibited by law) the Tegra2 is more powerful and would be ideal for gaming. I would not buy one though. I get more excited about the tech behind it than about playing games on a small screen. For game, I prefer to use my Desktop.[/citation]

thats a good point actually. Qualcom GPUs have sucked mostly. atleast use a powerVR chip or something...

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Well it sounds kinda cool but at the same time I do hope they make a stand a lone version of the PSP2 with no phone in it. The reason is myself & many other do not need yet another phone but. I would also hope the rumors of just a 1Ghz snapdragon are false because if it is true it is pretty much already outdated & just run of the mill as far as the CPU goes. Sony needs to make something that actually can last for a few years & not be considered slow 6 months after it is released. Just my 2 cents. I hardly think they would use run of the mill parts to build a handheld gaming device that is just not how sony does things.

G

If it is a wifi IP phone, a good CPU GPU, now seems Tegra the better one, and has wireless HDMI and wireless pads (wireless USB perhaps) for playing in TV sets, not only would be a portable Phone/game machine, it would be a portable computer to play in TV sets, where you can even convert your TV in a Internet TV watching actual flash videos and future Webm or play Flash games tumbed at your sofa, better than with actual consoles, and of course the Sony PSP plattform game in intinere or at your sofa.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
What I would like to see is a more modular approach to android devices. You should be able to buy a phone chassis with maybe the battery, usb port, SD card slot and aux out for sound included. Then OS modules, general processor modules (w. sound and video capability) and storage modules should be standardized by size and you should be able to interchange them. Also.. You should be able to buy different faces with screen and buttons. I just think that something like this would explode the market with all kinds of devices suddenly sporting phone functionality. I mean you could then build telephony into a webcam/camera/lunchbox. Anything at all in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS