Please explain huge difference in 2 monitors with the same Model #

swbruce21

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
I needed a small monitor with a very short stand to extend my notebook desktop. I am no fan of ACER but they have a 19.5" 1600x900 monitor ( G206HQL) with the shortest stand available from any manufacturer. I ordered this monitor from Amazon and it works great, good contrast from most any horizontal or vertical viewing angle. ( the screen is almost perfectly BLACK )

Then I bought another G206HQL from a local retailer and the bottom of third of screen had excessive backlight leakage, extremely poor contrast. If you viewed the monitor from a few degrees above 0, the whole screen was excessively washed out with back light > the worst I have ever seen.

Obviously they had entirely different screen technology on one production run versus another. From my description, what is the difference ?

SHATORR

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Might just be a poorly made version. Send it back, as it doesn't seem to work properly. I take it you've checked all cables and so on, so you're not doing something wrong yourself?

swbruce21

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

Some displays wash out if you are looking down at them at an angle and some don't. I am pretty sure these 2 Acer monitors have different backlight technologies (even though they have the same model number) . . but I don't know what that difference is called or how it works. Does anyone know the difference between monitors that have good contrast when viewed above the centerline of the monitor etc.

TRENDING THREADS