[SOLVED] Please Help! 100% CPU 25% GPU Usage...

May 28, 2020
Recently did my first PC build or maybe it's better to say I upgraded an old pre-built PC i bought.

I switched to PC from Xbox to get better performance while playing games like Fornite/Warzone. Unforuntately the only boost in performance I've gotten so far is lower input lag. My CPU is constantly running 95-100% and my GPU has never pushed over 30% Usage. For a game like fortnite I'm averaging 70 FPS. But I've watched people on youtube with the same graphics card I bought running the game so much better. I'm barely getting anymore frames than the 60 FPS I had on my Xbox one. This is so frustrating I've tried so much I just don't know what to do anymore. I've gone into NVIDIA control panel and switched to 144hz. (My monitor is a 144hz monitor). I've reinstalled windows. I've turned my power settings all the way to the performance side of the sliding bar. Run my games at the lowest possible settings. Things have only seemed to get worse to be honest. I think I started out running fortnite at 100-120 FPS, but with each day it seems the performance gets worse and worse.

Any ideas?

My Specs:
CPU- AMD FX-6300 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
GPU- Geforce RTX 2060 KO Ultra
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
RAM- 16 GB
Power Supply- 450 Watt
Storage- WD 500GB SSD

Solution
I didn't install the motherboard CPU or RAM. At first this was a pre-built PC I bought from Cybertron about 8 or so years ago. I couldn't play any modern games anymore so I upgraded the graphics card.

I'm confused why the motherboard and RAM are obsolete now? Can I not just buy a new CPU and install on my current motherboard?
Nope. Unless you want to upgrade to another obsolete CPU that’ll fit your AM3 + socket. Which you shouldn’t. Your ram is DDR3 and “modern” hardware uses DDR4. Don’t mean to be rude, but you should’ve done your research before getting into this.
Do you have a budget you can set aside for a new mobo/cpu/ram kit? Also might need a new PSU
The problem is the very weak old cpu. Building a pc to run modern games with this obsolete cpu was a bad decision. Sorry but you really made a big mistake going with that cpu, it’s 8 years old and was not great when it was first released. You are stuck with an obsolete cpu, motherboard and RAM giving you no upgrade path to a more modern platform.

poorbugger

Distinguished
That's an old cpu but it shouldnt be that worse. What are the temps of cpu during gaming session? Did you apply the thermal paste correctly as well as the cooler? It running at 100% and your gpu running at that low usage because it's being bottledneck by the cpu however, 30% is too low. With that being said, this doesnt mean your cpu is totally obsolete. I've seen benchmarks with this cpu still being able to run modern games with ease. To be able to do that, you'll have to overclock your cpu

May 28, 2020
I didn't install the motherboard CPU or RAM. At first this was a pre-built PC I bought from Cybertron about 8 or so years ago. I couldn't play any modern games anymore so I upgraded the graphics card.

I'm confused why the motherboard and RAM are obsolete now? Can I not just buy a new CPU and install on my current motherboard?

May 28, 2020
The problem is the very weak old cpu. Building a pc to run modern games with this obsolete cpu was a bad decision. Sorry but you really made a big mistake going with that cpu, it’s 8 years old and was not great when it was first released. You are stuck with an obsolete cpu, motherboard and RAM giving you no upgrade path to a more modern platform.

johnsoner13

Respectable

Nope. Unless you want to upgrade to another obsolete CPU that’ll fit your AM3 + socket. Which you shouldn’t. Your ram is DDR3 and “modern” hardware uses DDR4. Don’t mean to be rude, but you should’ve done your research before getting into this.
Do you have a budget you can set aside for a new mobo/cpu/ram kit? Also might need a new PSU

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
May 28, 2020

Yes I should have. I typed in my parts on Pcpartpicker and it said no compatibility issues so I figured I was good to go. I guess I'll try to find more parts.

Recently did my first PC build or maybe it's better to say I upgraded an old pre-built PC i bought.

I switched to PC from Xbox to get better performance while playing games like Fornite/Warzone. Unforuntately the only boost in performance I've gotten so far is lower input lag. My CPU is constantly running 95-100% and my GPU has never pushed over 30% Usage. For a game like fortnite I'm averaging 70 FPS. But I've watched people on youtube with the same graphics card I bought running the game so much better. I'm barely getting anymore frames than the 60 FPS I had on my Xbox one. This is so frustrating I've tried so much I just don't know what to do anymore. I've gone into NVIDIA control panel and switched to 144hz. (My monitor is a 144hz monitor). I've reinstalled windows. I've turned my power settings all the way to the performance side of the sliding bar. Run my games at the lowest possible settings. Things have only seemed to get worse to be honest. I think I started out running fortnite at 100-120 FPS, but with each day it seems the performance gets worse and worse.

Any ideas?

My Specs:
CPU- AMD FX-6300 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
GPU- Geforce RTX 2060 KO Ultra
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
RAM- 16 GB
Power Supply- 450 Watt
Storage- WD 500GB SSD

You can salvage the SSD and GPU. All you need now is a motherboard, CPU, RAM and PSU.

Yes I should have. I typed in my parts on Pcpartpicker and it said no compatibility issues so I figured I was good to go. I guess I'll try to find more parts.
Unfortunately being compatible does not make them a good match, it just means they will work together. You have ended up with a modern strong gpu paired with an old cpu that’s very weak by today’s standards. You cannot get the best out of the gpu because it is being held back by the cpu.

Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS