Please Help. ethernet download speed slow but wifi is fine

Insulares

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
My isp subscribed speed (25Mbps) is fine when connected to wifi, both download and upload speeds. However if I connect directly to the ethernet the download speed drops to 1.7Mbps but the upload stays the same. Ive already tried resetting the router and ive also used other cables. What should I do?

Solution
Well, it could be both. But experience dictates that ISP supplied routers are generally crap. Usually many people will just use their ISP supplied one for the modem functionality and then add their own router.
But for a start you should maybe call your ISP.
First of all, please get the terms right. Your ISP gives you a connection speed in Mbps (MegaBITS), when measuring your download speed it is shown in MB/s (MegaBYTES).
Your internet connection speed of 25 Mbps is roughly equal to a download speed of 3 MB/s, probably a bit lower as there are IP package overhead taking a bit of bandwidth as well.

Insulares

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

I was supposed to add "btw I know the difference between Mbps and MBps" at the bottom but I thought I made it clear by typing its "Mbps", not "MBps"

Not really as you say your download speed drops to 1.7Mbps, i guess you mean your download speed is 1,7 MB/s as download speeds are measurred in MegaBYTES per second and the correct term is MB/s and not MBps.

Insulares

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

You said when meauring dl speed it is shown in MB/s but I use speedtest.net and by default it is shown in Mbps, not MB/s. And that's why I used Mbps.

Insulares

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

I connect to the ethernet on the main board (updated it) and Ive tried numerous Cat5E cables. And Out of four ports, only one is available for use in my router given by the isp. Do you think I should install a new network adapter or buy a new router?

Well, it could be both. But experience dictates that ISP supplied routers are generally crap. Usually many people will just use their ISP supplied one for the modem functionality and then add their own router.
But for a start you should maybe call your ISP.

Solution

Insulares

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

I did call them multiple times, it seems the tech support doesnt know what's really going on, Still waiting for someone to check it physically. Anyway, what do you mean by they only use it for modem functionality? Configuring it as a repeater?

Obviously this depends on the type of connection you have. But for example in my case, my internet is through Cable. I got, from my ISP, a combined Cable modem and wifi router. I simply disabled all router functionality in that unit and use my own router, which is then connected to the ISP supplied one that is just now functioning as a cable modem.