Question Please Help me NO POST

Xceeded

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
I have these exact specs. rx 480 strix, xeon x3470, p7p55 lx, 750 watt psu, 8 gigs of ddr3 idk what brand, and a seagate 1tb 7200 rpm hdd. I tried putting everything together and i saw no post. I used the screwdriver trick and everything lit up, rgb on the card the cooler, and green led on the motherboard. BUT NO POST. I tried the psu on a different motherboard with a i7 920 (which has a higher wattage) and it posted with the same psu and graphics card (only difference was the cooler bcuz the pc had a stock cooler). I took off the cpu cooler for the actual build and the cpu was hot as hell. So that means the cpu was running but still no post. Is this a symptom of a fried motherboard? Please help me i saved up all my money for this pc just for it not to boot.

Obviously, it doesn't, or it would be working. It's not on the CPU support list, which means there is NO BIOS SUPPORT for it, which means you can chase threads and insist that it is compatible all year long if you want, but without a BIOS that can support that specific model, it's not going to work. Ever.

Now, it's possible that it was left off the CPU support list by mistake and that there IS a BIOS version that supports it for that motherboard, but without a CPU that will WORK, there is no way you can update the BIOS (IF there even IS a newer BIOS than what you already have installed and IF it adds support for that CPU) in order to make it compatible. So you either buy another CPU that IS compatible, or you buy a different motherboard that is compatible with that CPU, or you borrow a compatible CPU from somebody or take it to a shop that has the parts to do the update for you, again, IF it's even possible based on BIOS support.

Honestly, back then, most of the Xeon parts were not compatible with many desktop mainstream boards. Note that there are ZERO Xeon's listed on the CPU support list for that motherboard.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
so will this motherboard work? a p7h55-m? (14) Asus P7H55-M & Xeon X3470 Overclocked at 4ghz - YouTube this guy is running the same thing.

It seems likely given that the guy was successful, but not a certainty.

It's important when you're on a very specific budget to not get experimental and buy combinations that might work.

I'm not quite understanding what you're trying to do. Do you own the PC with the i7 920? If so, why not just buy an i7 960 for around $15 an use it with what you already have; it performs similarly to a Xeon X3470.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
ok so i should just get a i7 960 then, but can yall do research and see if it overclocks just as well? Thats the main reason why i really didnt want to let the xeon go.

They both overclock. How well will depend on a lot of factors, such as the board quality and just luck; not every CPU of the same model overclocks the same. Given that any motherboard you use for either of these CPUs will be a decade old, I would be very conservative with any overclocking. You'll also probably want better cooling than stock.