Question Please help me set RAM at 2400mhz

Dunkleosteus

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019
Hello,

I'm having a very hard time trying to figure out how to run my KVR24N17S8/8 RAM modules at their advertised speed of 2400 Mhz 😓. It only runs at 2133, as soon as I set it to 2400 my computer won't boot (boots in UEFI safe mode)

My system configuration is as follows:

CPU: Core I7 6700 (non K)
RAM: 4 x 8GB KVR24N17S8/8 (Kingston value RAM without XMP)
MB: ASUS Prime B250-PRO (supports RAM up to 2400 Mhz)
Please see screenshot for full system specs

YU72bdD.jpg

From what I understand, since my RAM does not support XMP I have to set RAM timings manually. In order to check timings I used SPD tab in CPUZ and I got the following results for 2400 Mhz:

CAS# Latency 17
RAS# to CAS# 17
RAS# Precharge 17
tRAS 39
tRC 55
Voltage 1.20V

I tried to set these exact timings in BIOS but I only found options for setting CAS# Latency and RAS# to CAS#, there are many more options in there but I can't figure out which ones are for RAS# Precharge tRAS and tRC.
I have set DRAM frequency at 2400 Mhz in Ai tweaker and DRAM CAS# to 17 plus DRAM to CAS# delay at 17 in DRAM Timing control.

1 Is it even possible to run this at 2400 Mhz on an I7 6700? (Intel states that it only supports 2133)
2 If I were to upgrade my processor to an I7 7700 would this RAM run at 2400 Mhz by default?
3 Using the screenshots provided, can anyone guide me on how to properly set the RAM to run at 2400 Mhz?

Am I just stupid (I'm beginning to think so) or is it impossible to do in this specific situation?

Thank you!

Please check the attached UEFI and CPUZ screenshots for RAM settings options available:

FWzjAu8.jpg

MQFs3Ug.jpg

5FHzcDb.jpg

O2mEU4Y.jpg

iftGCyr.jpg

2sA699D.jpg

6TLUg7h.jpg

JK5hn3Y.jpg

p9wSKzA.jpg

eNKxlyZ.jpg

FB0SMaE.jpg

Dunkleosteus

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019
Memory modules sold as Singles have no guarantee to be compatible in any configuration other than as a Single module.

XMP settings are also for memory in the form sold and not in other combinations you decide to use.

You might be lucky to get two ValueRAM KVR24N17S8/8 to work together. Any more than that your PC probably won't boot.

compprob237

Distinguished
If I were to upgrade my processor to an I7 7700 would this RAM run at 2400 Mhz by default?
Unless you are able to upgrade to the 7700/7700K for a very good price I can't suggest it. You'd be better served moving to a Z390+i5-9600K/i7-9700K.

Also, even though the RAM is running at DDR4-2133 the difference between that and DDR4-2400 would be very difficult to tangibly notice. You could try tightening up the timings on the kit to lower the latency (also a small improvement). There's a stickied thread for RAM XMP stability that also explains how to test if the overclock (tighter timings is an overclock) is stable. You can increase the voltage given to the RAM up to 1.25v (staying within Intel's conservative spec) or 1.35v (typical "high end" RAM). Above 1.35v I'd say is "do at your own risk".

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I agree, difference between 2133 and 2400 isn't much. You'd be disappointed if you were looking for better performance and so would be disappointed spending money on a 7700.

Regarding timings i wouldn't bother with that either unless you want try for fun.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency

If you're considering a system overhaul, i reckon wait, hold onto your system to find out later this year/ early 2020 if we have more info regarding DDR5 / Pcie 4/5 platforms.

Reactions: compprob237