Question Please help me with my build

Aug 27, 2024
Friends I need help from an experienced PC builder or a professional,

Here is my build on pcpartpicker:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/turalrz/saved/BHD98d

I know this is an overkill for 99.99% of humans dead and alive but stay with me my specialty is in a different industry therefore i might have some silly obvious mistakes here.

Please keep in mind that I will be opting for the new X3D versions of the top amd cpu when they come out in January approx (in deep hopes rumors are true)

I will also be opting for a RTX 5090 therefore this build will not be executed before the cpu and the gpu will come out.

However I want to get all the other parts straight and have it as future proofed as possible as im only dropping this kind of crazy money on a pc once and never again.

My main concern is that all the connections work and obviously all the parts are suitable for each other. Hoping that one of you could save me hours/days of research and headache by dedicating a few minutes on this post.

Please let me know what extras I have to buy (connectors,adaptors,cables etc.) to make this work or if I have to change any of the parts. I am going for the most high end build and aiming for specifically top tier X3D cpu and top tier nvidia GPU and all parts with the latest and the FASTEST connections.

Cooling plan for the build:
For the fans and cooling the 420mm CPU AIO is self explanatory, going to use it at the top of the case as (exhaust)
Other than that, I have 9 corsair iCUE LINK QX120 RGB 120mm (they come in a pack of 3 therefore planning to purchase 3 of these packs totalling 9 120mm fans)
4 120mm on the front of the case (intake)
4 120mm on the side of the case (intake)
1 120 mm fan on the back of the case (exhaust)

The 120mm 3 packs case fans come as this: (am i buying 2 extra link system hubs and link cables or i need all of these?)
  • 3x CORSAIR QX120 RGB Fans
  • 1x iCUE LINK System Hub
  • 1x iCUE LINK Cable, 600mm
Here are the notes that you will see on the pcpartpicker list which confuse me as this should not be true.
  • Note: A USB 3.2 Gen 1 to USB 2.0 header adapter is required.
  • Note: A USB 3.2 Gen 2 to USB 3.2 Gen 1 header adapter is required.
  • Note: Fan compatibility checking is currently not supported.
  • Note: The Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW ATX Full Tower Case front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port needs a motherboard USB 3.2 Gen 2 header but none are available. The USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port will not be usable.
  • Disclaimer: Some physical constraints are not checked, such as RAM clearance with CPU Coolers

Ralston18

Titan
Starting with the motherboard, carefully read all available manufacturer documentation for each component under consideration.

Pay close attention to all fine print, caveats, references, etc..

You need to ensure that all components are supported, installable, and configurable.

Develop your own assembly plan step by step. For the most part the motherboard's User Guide/Manual can be used as template and you simply add notes and refences when and where appropriate with respect to individual componets : CPU, RAM, GPU, etc..

This:

"Disclaimer: Some physical constraints are not checked, such as RAM clearance with CPU Coolers"

You must check and verify. Details matter.

And I strongly suspect that 9 fans (10 counting PSU) will cause problems by simpy getting in each other's way.

Be sure to read the case documentation and supported fan configurations.

Take the time and care to make the effort: AKA planning.

Reactions: turalrz
It is premature to be making any decisions before you know what is available.
Nobody knows if there will be a 5090 card, or what it will do.

On your build, you have two different ram kits. I presume you intend to use only one.

If you are only gaming, the X3d processors are very good.
But if you are multitasking, then the underlying processors are better.
Why so much ram?
Do you have an app that uses ram as a workspace?
9 fans seems a bit much for anything.

Aug 12, 2024
Updating my comment...

I'm wondering what do you need a 5090 for? The 4090 will run anything out there in 4K without breaking a sweat. Ask me how I know.

Rumors have it that the 5000 series won't be till 2025 too.

As for the RAM... well... good luck with anything over 6000 on AM5. 420mm AIO is also overkill for the 9950X. Again... ask me how I know. Even at max load my 360 AIO has no problems keeping things cool.

9 fans does seem like a lot. I have 9 on mine... but 3 are part of the rad. The other 6 came with the fishtank... 4x 120's and 2x 140's. You are talking 12 total fans with the AIO?

logainofhades

Titan

On your build, you have two different ram kits. I presume you intend to use only one.

Why so much ram?

Good catch! I missed that second kit. Frankly there is a lot of overspending being done in this build, in the name of aesthetics. I am going to assume one set of those link fans are for the AIO. Just buy the AIO that comes with them already. That 1500w psu is another overpsend, when you can get similar units, of good quality for less. I agree on the premature decisions too. Adding a 10gb Ethernet card, for instance, when there could easily be a board that will have it built in once actual 800 series boards release.

Aug 27, 2024
Friends, i have updated and bettered my build, here is the information, what do you think:

Here is a link to all of my components:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/turalrz/saved/#view=DdVkwP

Here are some additional notes on each of the parts:

Check the release date of ROG Crosshair X870E hero

Aug 27, 2024

Why so much ram?
I have updated my build components and posted in the comments. Chose a ram kit and downgraded for the GPU for now. Also getting an x3d processor which is available today. Fans are all Icue and want to have my PC build very frosty as usually the temps in my room are very hot.. Agreed on the overkill with the RAM memory and PSU but it's more of a want rather than a need at the moment which could change in the future considering how everything is improving at such a fast pace. I have posted as a comment the improved build. Please share if you have any comments. Thank you in advance!

Aug 27, 2024
Updating my comment...

I'm wondering what do you need a 5090 for? The 4090 will run anything out there in 4K without breaking a sweat. Ask me how I know.

Rumors have it that the 5000 series won't be till 2025 too.

As for the RAM... well... good luck with anything over 6000 on AM5. 420mm AIO is also overkill for the 9950X. Again... ask me how I know. Even at max load my 360 AIO has no problems keeping things cool.

9 fans does seem like a lot. I have 9 on mine... but 3 are part of the rad. The other 6 came with the fishtank... 4x 120's and 2x 140's. You are talking 12 total fans with the AIO?
You are completely right. Going for a 4080 Super now. Updated the RAM sticks for 6000 CL30 specifically for AM5. Fans and AIO overkill is due to my room/weather being very hot and i do not have an AC in my room. Also have 2 cats so hopefully the airflow in the PC will not let the dust and small hair to pile up in the PC , I have posted as a comment an updated PC parts build. Let me know if this is better and if I should worry about anything. Would appreciate any help and thanking you in advance!

Aug 27, 2024
Good catch! I missed that second kit. Frankly there is a lot of overspending being done in this build, in the name of aesthetics. I am going to assume one set of those link fans are for the AIO. Just buy the AIO that comes with them already. That 1500w psu is another overpsend, when you can get similar units, of good quality for less. I agree on the premature decisions too. Adding a 10gb Ethernet card, for instance, when there could easily be a board that will have it built in once actual 800 series boards release.
Noted and change the build. PSU and AIO overkill is agreed on, however this enables me for any upgradability/ even having 2 GPU's in the future if I need to. Thus, i only have to buy one PSU and be safe for the performance and the quality for coming years. About the AIO and the fans, I just want the build to be as frosty as possible without using a custom loop. And that AIO has a very good rating too thus I am not worried about quality. I have updated the build and posted it in the comments. Please let me know what you think.

logainofhades

Titan
Noted and change the build. PSU and AIO overkill is agreed on, however this enables me for any upgradability/ even having 2 GPU's in the future if I need to. Thus, i only have to buy one PSU and be safe for the performance and the quality for coming years. About the AIO and the fans, I just want the build to be as frosty as possible without using a custom loop. And that AIO has a very good rating too thus I am not worried about quality. I have updated the build and posted it in the comments. Please let me know what you think.

Dual GPU gaming is dead, and has been for quite some time. You can still a high wattage unit without spending $360 to do it, if you still wish to have such a high wattage PSU. An AIO is fine. I was just pointing out there is an iLink version that costs less, and eliminates you from buying one set of fans. You do not want 4 sticks of ram either. DDR5 memory controllers are not mature enough yet to handle it properly, especially at rated speeds. The 2x48 GB kit is the most ram you can get right now and still keep your memory speeds. Almost $750 for a motherboard is another waste of money.
You can get still get a high end board for like half that, though if you want one with 10gb ethernet still, you are forced to spend more. Any particular reason you want that? Unless you have a home server with such a connection, 2.5gb on many gaming boards is plenty.

In real world use, PCI-E gen 5 ssd will not offer you any real benefit over gen4, unless you are a super user transfering some really big files.

You simply have a lot of overspending going on here.

Nothing wrong with an over the top build, and it can be done without being super wasteful.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($413.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE LINK H170i LCD 82.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($237.28 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) EATX AM5 Motherboard ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($330.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD_Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD_Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($309.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW ATX Full Tower Case ($209.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 1650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE LINK QX120 RGB Starter Kit 63.1 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($124.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE LINK QX120 RGB Starter Kit 63.1 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($124.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE LINK QX140 RGB Starter Kit 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $4390.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-08-29 08:03 EDT-0400

You are completely right. Going for a 4080 Super now. Updated the RAM sticks for 6000 CL30 specifically for AM5. Fans and AIO overkill is due to my room/weather being very hot and i do not have an AC in my room. Also have 2 cats so hopefully the airflow in the PC will not let the dust and small hair to pile up in the PC , I have posted as a comment an updated PC parts build. Let me know if this is better and if I should worry about anything. Would appreciate any help and thanking you in advance!

All the airflow in the world will not make up for environmental conditions.

Aug 27, 2024
Dual GPU gaming is dead, and has been for quite some time. You can still a high wattage unit without spending $360 to do it, if you still wish to have such a high wattage PSU. An AIO is fine. I was just pointing out there is an iLink version that costs less, and eliminates you from buying one set of fans. You do not want 4 sticks of ram either. DDR5 memory controllers are not mature enough yet to handle it properly, especially at rated speeds. The 2x48 GB kit is the most ram you can get right now and still keep your memory speeds. Almost $750 for a motherboard is another waste of money.
You can get still get a high end board for like half that, though if you want one with 10gb ethernet still, you are forced to spend more. Any particular reason you want that? Unless you have a home server with such a connection, 2.5gb on many gaming boards is plenty.

In real world use, PCI-E gen 5 ssd will not offer you any real benefit over gen4, unless you are a super user transfering some really big files.

You simply have a lot of overspending going on here.

Nothing wrong with an over the top build, and it can be done without being super wasteful.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($413.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE LINK H170i LCD 82.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($237.28 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) EATX AM5 Motherboard ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($330.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD_Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD_Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($309.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW ATX Full Tower Case ($209.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 1650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE LINK QX140 RGB Starter Kit 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $4390.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-08-29 08:03 EDT-0400

All the airflow in the world will not make up for environmental conditions.
Thank you for your adjustment, I know most of components are an overkill, the planning is only at it's initial stage, Can i ask about the RAM sticks you advised, definitely not using 4 sticks thus thank you. I have went on Corsair official website and there it says these RAM sticks are optimized for intel motherboards. Does that mean it will not work/ work at lower speeds with AMD mobo's?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/mem...R5fUkC1Be3NHxhUVU0&utm_coupon=Content&irgwc=1

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for your adjustment, I know most of components are an overkill, the planning is only at it's initial stage, Can i ask about the RAM sticks you advised, definitely not using 4 sticks thus thank you. I have went on Corsair official website and there it says these RAM sticks are optimized for intel motherboards. Does that mean it will not work/ work at lower speeds with AMD mobo's?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/memory/CMH96GX5M2B6000C30/vengeance-rgb-96gb-2x48gb-ddr5-dram-6000mt-s-cl30-memory-kit-black-cmh96gx5m2b6000c30?utm_source=79301&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=497986_CORSAIR US Product Catalog Ad&utm_content=Corsair&clickid=XMLRVi3h1xyKRDd3H3VzCR5fUkC1Be3NHxhUVU0&utm_coupon=Content&irgwc=1
And you still never say what the PC will be used for.
Hint anything I throw at it is not a answer it just tries to justify spending way to much money.

Aug 27, 2024
And you still never say what the PC will be used for.
Hint anything I throw at it is not a answer it just tries to justify spending way to much money.
Professional esports while recording and streaming on multiple platforms mainly. (+multiple screens but thats not an issue as only one screen will run at a high 540hz refresh rate others can have a low refresh rate.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Professional esports while recording and streaming on multiple platforms mainly. (+multiple screens but thats not an issue as only one screen will run at a high 540hz refresh rate others can have a low refresh rate.
Then your build is not very good.
64GB of memory is more than you will need.
Nowhere to put all those fans.
Bad drive setup. You need a drive for the OS and programs, a different drive for the games, and a separate drive to record to.
And no reason at all for a 600 dollar motherboard.

Some cooling comments:

If the only air intake is from the front you will have a positive pressure environment.
That is excellent, the front filters will trap any cat hair .
Use 140mm fans, not 120mm fans, They move more air quietly than 120mm. You can buy 3000 RPM 140mm fans that will move huge amounts of air if you need to.
Whatever airflow comes in the front will exit SOMEWHERE taking component heat out of the case.
The best cooling suggestion I can make is to get an air conditioner for your room and exhaust the heat from the room. Cooling starts with your room temperature and goes up from there, After heavy use, the pc will generate lots of heat compounding the problem.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, the difference is where the heat exchange takes place.
You would do just as well with a top end air cooler.
Realize that air coolers do not last forever; plan on a replacement in 5 years.

Aug 12, 2024

I agree with the above comments. You can get by with everything you wanna do with my motherboard... and it's $250 with 4 m.2 slots so you can divide your OS/programs... games... video stuff... across the drives. That's what I do.

64GB ram is a bit overkill... but I did it too so won't fault you there. It's good to have though. :ROFLMAO: