Question Please help, New ASUS modem AX-3000 / Slow Wifi/Wifi 6 speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkhoey

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018
Hi guys,

My ISP provided modem had bad range, so I decided to upgrade to ASUS TUF AX-3000 unit that has Wifi 6 enabled.

I have set it up and put in my ISP required settings and is working perfectly with the Ethernet cable plugged in directly to computers.

However, with Wifi - the speeds are changing constantly even If I am very close to the router (just meters away)

Sometimes it will be 50 Mbps, sometimes 400 Mbps, once it was 600+ all by re-running speed tests, its un predictable?

There is no rime or reason why? I have tinkered with some settings on the modems options, manually setting channels etc

This also happens on my phone (Sumsung note10) which displayes the Wifi 6 symbol and on a PC with 300 Mbps wifi adapter (non Wifi 6) Have tested multiple devices, all the same

Its making me go crazy! can anyone be kind enough to offer me some assistance?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys,

My ISP provided modem had bad range, so I decided to upgrade to ASUS TUF AX-3000 unit that has Wifi 6 enabled.

I have set it up and put in my ISP required settings and is working perfectly with the Ethernet cable plugged in directly to computers.

However, with Wifi - the speeds are changing constantly even If I am very close to the router (just meters away)

Sometimes it will be 50 Mbps, sometimes 400 Mbps, once it was 600+ all by re-running speed tests, its un predictable?

There is no rime or reason why? I have tinkered with some settings on the modems options, manually setting channels etc

This also happens on my phone (Sumsung note10) which displayes the Wifi 6 symbol and on a PC with 300 Mbps wifi adapter (non Wifi 6) Have tested multiple devices, all the same

Its making me go crazy! can anyone be kind enough to offer me some assistance?
Do you live in an apartment building or other area with high wifi concentration ?

rkhoey

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018
Do you live in an apartment building or other area with high wifi concentration ?

Hi,

no I live in a newly built neighborhood. I would say just normal connections from people living closeby.

If I plug in the old modem (not a Wifi6) I dont have this inconsistency with speeds?

Rod

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

no I live in a newly built neighborhood. I would say just normal connections from people living closeby.

If I plug in the old modem (not a Wifi6) I dont have this inconsistency with speeds?

Rod
The Asus is a "gaming" router. It tries to be "smart" about prioritizing traffic. Speedtest traffic may be de-prioritized. You could go into the GUI and disable as many as the "smart" features as possible and retest.

rkhoey

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018
The Asus is a "gaming" router. It tries to be "smart" about prioritizing traffic. Speedtest traffic may be de-prioritized. You could go into the GUI and disable as many as the "smart" features as possible and retest.

Oddly enough, when I get a low speed tet score of say, 150 Mbps, then immediatley start a high seeded torrent. I get around 5-6 MB per second? perhaps the speed test is not correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS