Question please help new build

Nov 12, 2020
i recently got a ryzen 5600x and a b550 motherboard. however i finished setting everything up and connected the wires but when i powered the system on the cpu light on the motherboard was red? Then i took the cpu out and out it back again same thing. The system starts and then shut off 5-10 seconds later or somtimes 30 seconds. I have no idea what i did wrong. Please help

View: https://youtu.be/nIGMSoTeQQQ

Pytheus

Prominent
Oct 28, 2020
i have been but i dont know how to update bios on the b550 i cant find any videos also. How do i do it?
Depends on your motherboard. I have the ASUS B500-F and all I had to do was plug in a USB drive with the bios into the designated USB port on the back and press the EZ_Flash button and wait till the light stopped blinking, all without having to power on the system. A lot, but not all, motherboards have this feature. Otherwise you actually need to access the Bios to update, which you can't do if your board doesn't have the current bios to run with the 5600x.

Nov 12, 2020
Depends on your motherboard. I have the ASUS B500-F and all I had to do was plug in a USB drive with the bios into the designated USB port on the back and press the EZ_Flash button and wait till the light stopped blinking, all without having to power on the system. A lot, but not all, motherboards have this feature. Otherwise you actually need to access the Bios to update, which you can't do if your board doesn't have the current bios to run with the 5600x.
okay so i updated the bios by watching this video on youtube by flashing it wit a flashdrive. but the cpu red light still remains??

Pytheus

Prominent
Oct 28, 2020
did that also the red cpu light on the motherboard is still there.
Well if the Bios is upto date, and you seated the CPU properly, observing ESD precautions, then make sure you have the CPU supply connected properly. It's the connector at the top. Otherwise, try a different motherboard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a B550. It'll require the latest bios most likely for the Zen3 cpus. Very few already have the bios required.

A new bios won't require cmos clear as there's no OS yet to write the cmos files.

Have ypu mounted the cooler correctly and plugged in the fan to cpu_fan header?

Nov 12, 2020
Well if the Bios is upto date, and you seated the CPU properly, observing ESD precautions, then make sure you have the CPU supply connected properly. It's the connector at the top. Otherwise, try a different motherboard.
oh nvm i understand i used two 4 pin connectors cuz thats what ppl said to use to connect to the cpu supply

Nov 12, 2020
so now the motherboard wont start and when i tried to flash the bios with the usb now the red light keeps blinkiing what do i do?
well i put alll thr parts in again and now it turns on but the red cpu light is still there. and theres nothing on the montior. guess i just got <Mod Edit> with a <Mod Edit> mobo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 12, 2020
I got to the bios then it just shut down again
Is the cpu cooler fully installed on top of the cpu yet? The cpu will overheat in seconds without it and a correct application of thermal paste.

In the video, it was not installed.
yea so i applied the thermal paste and put everything on the cpu. Also it booted perfectly and I got to a screen that said “getting drivers ready” after that. the “VGA red light” popped up on the motherboard and nothing was showing on the monitor. Do u know whats the problem is now?? My graphics card is perfectly fine because i switched it over from my last pc its a GTX 970.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Does your motherboard have 2x gpu slots? An upper next to the cpu and a lower one? If so, move the gpu temporarily to the lower slot. It's a common error especially on Asus motherboards on first boot as the cpu is trying to recognise drivers for a gpu that don't exist yet. The lower slot doesn't use the cpu pci express lanes, it uses the chipset pci express lanes, so has drivers in place to recognise the gpu.

Once the gpu gets recognised fully in bios, you can move it back to the regular slot.

Nov 12, 2020
Does your motherboard have 2x gpu slots? An upper next to the cpu and a lower one? If so, move the gpu temporarily to the lower slot. It's a common error especially on Asus motherboards on first boot as the cpu is trying to recognise drivers for a gpu that don't exist yet. The lower slot doesn't use the cpu pci express lanes, it uses the chipset pci express lanes, so has drivers in place to recognise the gpu.

Once the gpu gets recognised fully in bios, you can move it back to the regular slot.
okay got it thank you i will try that tomorrow and I will let you know if everything goes smoothy. Thanks for your help.

Nov 12, 2020
If the ram isn't installed, he'd have gotten that error already, it'd kick in before even trying to 'get drivers ready'.

The pc needs to be completely built before it'll work, like trying to start a car that has no dashboard nor engine.
hey so it worked when i put the graphics card in the other slot. What drivers do i need to download to put it back in the main slot?