[SOLVED] PLEASE help -- PC turns on & off but won't POST

Apr 11, 2020
Hi I just had a perfectly working pc with windows here are the specs

I7 2600k

Asus p8z68 v pro gen3

4 by 8gb corsair vengeance

Gtx 1650

I was using the stock cooler and it was cooling the i7 okay, but I just got a cryorig m9i from Amazon. The installation was very janky, and the cooler's screws weren't long enough, so I used on the the included screws and another on I had. The one I had was very long and I ended up over tightening it, and it started to go into my mobo. The scratch is the size of the screws tip, and doesnt penetrate, just scratched the top.

When I put the cooler on and tried to turn the pc on, the cpu led blinked red once and turned off, and the dram led turned bright red, all of the fans spin. The pc doesnt give a video output and no peripherals turn on, and after a few seconds the pc turns off, then turns back on, and this cycle repeats. PLEASE RESPOND AND HELP IF YOU CAN, ALL THE CONNECTIONS ARE SECURE. NO BENT PINS ON MOBO OR CPU.

Solution
Oh no! Sorry to say, but the problem is most probably related to your motherboard. As you can see from the images, it is quite evident that the motherboard is fried. You should have bought a compatible fan unit before trying to install the Cryorig m9i.

When you found the screws not working properly, you could have stopped right there to assess the situation a bit more. Even scratches can do considerable damage to the fragile components. You could run tests on RAM and CPU to sort out the issue. I hope there is a different solution for you and I hope you find the answer pretty soon.
I remember my system not posting before when I overtightened the cpu block (years ago) and you could always try that, but if you did cut into the trace on the top layer of the board, you are looking at a bad board. Can it be repaired? Maybe, but you're talking surface soldering on a micro level. Solder wouldn't have the same resistances as the traces and voltage fluctuations to capacitors and transistors may occur. That could fry things like your cpu and ram in the process.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The traces are clearly broken (first pic zooms much clearer imgur, isn't good imho). The motherboard is toast.

The Cryorig mounting system is second only to Noctua, its very easy to install even the rediculously large R1 Ultimate with it. The issue wasn't the screws being too short, it was with you tightening one side fully, then trying to get the other side started. The procedure is simple. You screw the supports first a few turns, in an X pattern, until all 4 are tight. Place the cooler. Start 1 side a few turns, then the other, and flip-flop until both bottom out.

Replace the motherboard, it's useless now. Beyond repair. Next time, follow the instructions as written. Or on YouTube.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Beyond mad. The traces are thinner than paper, and have a specific amount of resistance and conductivity. When you solder a gap that large, you have to overlay a new trace piece to make up the difference, a line of solder doesn't work. Then 'weld' the 2 ends down. Trying to get a trace hot enough to accept the solder and not destroy the surrounding traces is a lesson in futility.

Beyond mad. The traces are thinner than paper, and have a specific amount of resistance and conductivity. When you solder a gap that large, you have to overlay a new trace piece to make up the difference, a line of solder doesn't work. Then 'weld' the 2 ends down. Trying to get a trace hot enough to accept the solder and not destroy the surrounding traces is a lesson in futility.

It's up there on my to do list next to grinding my own grain and growing my own rice.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
May 4, 2020
Oh no! Sorry to say, but the problem is most probably related to your motherboard. As you can see from the images, it is quite evident that the motherboard is fried. You should have bought a compatible fan unit before trying to install the Cryorig m9i.

When you found the screws not working properly, you could have stopped right there to assess the situation a bit more. Even scratches can do considerable damage to the fragile components. You could run tests on RAM and CPU to sort out the issue. I hope there is a different solution for you and I hope you find the answer pretty soon.

Solution
Apr 11, 2020
The traces are clearly broken (first pic zooms much clearer imgur, isn't good imho). The motherboard is toast.

The Cryorig mounting system is second only to Noctua, its very easy to install even the rediculously large R1 Ultimate with it. The issue wasn't the screws being too short, it was with you tightening one side fully, then trying to get the other side started. The procedure is simple. You screw the supports first a few turns, in an X pattern, until all 4 are tight. Place the cooler. Start 1 side a few turns, then the other, and flip-flop until both bottom out.

Replace the motherboard, it's useless now. Beyond repair. Next time, follow the instructions as written. Or on YouTube.
no i figured it out. after some experimenting, i figured out the cut traces lead to 2 ram slots. Once i removed those sticks, the pc worked without any stability or thermal issues. Cant use dual channel but everything else works

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
When I built my first PC in 2016 it would go into a boot loop where it would boot up over and over again. It only did it 3 times and it's worked fine ever since.

I have no idea what the issue cause I never had an issue like this except once and it seems like it corrected itself or something.