Question Please Help! Samsung 990 pro M.2

Jul 5, 2024
I just upgraded my MSI M450 1 TB SSD to a Samsung 990 pro 4 TB.
Now my boot time is extremely slow. It went from about 1 min. to several minutes and when windows actually loads it still takes even longer to be able to use the task bar. Could this be a problem with the hard drive or did I goof something up. I cloned my old hard drive using Macrium reflect.

Also, when running performance test on Samsung Magician and Crystaldisk my numbers are great with no errors

A clone of windows is going to use the same drivers as the old drive. Have you tried Windows Update?

The only difference I can see between the two drives is the new Samsung is NVMe 2.0 instead of 1.4, which should perform better, of course.

Do a fresh install of windows on the new drive, after deleting all partitions.

Reactions: CountMike
Jul 18, 2024
I have arrived here because I have been investigating a similar kind for problem I have with a 4TB 990 Pro.

Mine is to use with a USB caddy and I got really bad benchmarks testing with CrystalDiskMark. For sequential I was only hitting 40MB/s at first and it made me think somehow it was limited to USB 2 speeds. I have tried it on two computers both testing it with USB C to A and USB C to C. With other ones I have made recently I was getting 1000 MB/s for sequential no problem. I have also tried it in another different make caddy and I get the same. Interestingly though when reseating in the caddy it went up to 200 MB/s though still no where near what it should be.

I then put it in a laptop as a second non boot drive and then testing gave 6000+ MB/s. Samsung Magician also gave similar decent speeds. What I did notice though is that it takes much longer than I would expect to do a test, even for just a single run 1 GB in CrystalDiskMark.

Another issue which is related and maybe the most telling, is that when I plug it in via USB it takes much longer than usual to be recognised by Windows. About 12 seconds rather than the usual couple of seconds.

So it is like it has some strange delay.

It has the latest Firmware, 4B2QJXD7

PN : MZVL74T0HBL1
Model: MZ-VP9P4T0
Model Code: (on box): MZ-V9P4T0BW R-R-SEC-MZ-V9P4T0
Production date (on box): 2024-05-22
Made in Vietnam

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2024
Windows install didn't help.
I ended up cloning it to a western digital 850x and now have no issues.
Guess it was just a dud.
Firmware and windows were both up to date.
I'll definitely be wary of Samsung internals from now on.

Thanks guys.