[SOLVED] Please help struggling first time builder get through the pain

Jan 5, 2021
Hi Guys,

I am halfway through my first build and when it comes to connecting the wires and cables I will admit I am lost with it. Heads gone!

Would anyone be able to guide me through the final steps in connecting cables to motherboard and the PSU cables?

I have an image of the motherboard layout and instructions with case - step 1 is to connect the cables already connected to my PC case (Phanteks Eclipse P400A D-RGB Gaming Case - Black ) in to motherboard and then focus on the PSU cables. There are also other cables which appear need to be connected to each other as part of the case? Confusing as some already seem to be interconnected on arrival. Anyway, a few images below if someone can help it would be really appreciated.

(1029) Pinterest

Solution
  • CPU Cable goes to ATX_12V Port... It's an 8pin coming from your PSU.
  • Your Rear Case Fan goes to SYS_FAN1
  • Your Cooler's Fan(s) go to CPU_FAN.
  • Your USB Cable goes to USB3.2, the port that has one pin missing.
  • Next to this port, there are some pins with labels below them.There is where the Power,Reset and HDD cables go.
  • The SATA Cable included with your motherboard goes to a SATA3 Port.
  • If you have a NVME SSD, it goes right above your PCIE x16 slot.
  • Your RGB go to any port that has the word LED next to it...If you have a lot of RGB Fans you probably gonna need a Fan Hub or a RGB Splitter cable...These ports have 3 or 4 pins...Or maybe you can power them through SATA...Depending on what you can do and what's...

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
In order to connect the case, mobo debug led cables etc. you need your motherboard's manual to see clearly where everything goes or search for the labels Next to the ports.

Then you need to connect the CPU Cable to the motherboard (it's in the top left corner usually) and it's probably an 8, 8+6 or 8+8 pins...

Then it's time for the 24pin but be careful...It needs a little bit of force to get it right but not much... It's not easy to explain unfortunately.

SATA Cables from your PSU to your hard drives and then your motherboard includes one SATA which goes to a SATA port...If you have an NVME you don't need cables obviously.

Your GPU probably requires an 8pin or 8+6 or 8+8 or 12? and it has a PCIE logo on it...If you need 8+6 or 8+8 then you can connect only one cable which splits into two ends with 8pins or you can connect 2 individual cables.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021
In order to connect the case, mobo debug led cables etc. you need your motherboard's manual to see clearly where everything goes.

Then you need to connect the CPU Cable to the motherboard (it's in the top left corner usually) and it's probably an 8, 8+6 or 8+8 pins...

Then it's time for the 24pin but be careful...It needs a little bit of force to get it right but not much... It's not easy to explain unfortunately.

SATA Cables to your hard drives...If you have an NVME you don't need cables obviously.

Your GPU probably requires an 8pin or 8+6 or 8+8 or 12? and it has a PCIE logo on it.
Thanks mate - did the above link work? I've linked a picture to the motherboard layout and the instruction with the case. My confusion is the names of the cables do not correspond with the same name on the motherboard?

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The link doesn't load for me and it's not my issue.Maybe Pinterest servers are unstable right now or something else going on... Whatever.

It won't work for you that kind of help...I could write an entire essay, with a lot of details, about what to do, what to expect etc.

I suggest you go and watch a YouTube video from LinusTechTips... It's a POV PC building and it's really educational...It misses some critical info but it will help you get your build close to the finish line.

I will update my comment with more details and hopefully it'll be enough.

If possible, post your full specs...It'll help me a lot.

Jan 5, 2021
The link doesn't load for me and it's not my issue.Maybe Pinterest servers are unstable right now or something else going on... Whatever.

It won't work for you that kind of help...I could write an entire essay, with a lot of details, about what to do, what to expect etc.

I suggest you go and watch a YouTube video from LinusTechTips... It's a POV PC building and it's really educational...It misses some critical info but it will help you get your build close to the finish line.

I will update my comment with more details and hopefully it'll be enough.

If possible, post your full specs...It'll help me a lot.
Thanks - my motherboard is mb_manual_b550m-ds3h_e.pdf (gigabyte.com)

The things which I need to plug into motherboard in the case manul are labbeled

Power SW
Reset SW
HDD LED
USB 3.0

SATA to PowerSupply?
And 3 pin fans into each other

Then there is a bunch of other stuff which doesnt appear to fall into motherboard section

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Power,Reset and HDD Led are some small cables connected to the top of your case...You need to connect the other end on your motherboard...The ports you need are usually in the bottom right or middle...You can find them if you search for the appropriate labels.They can be tricky to connect...For a first timer, they usually need some patience... Connect them before you install your graphics card.

USB 3.0 is the big cable with the pins in it, connected to the top of your case aswell.
Search for the appropriate port in your motherboard and carefully connect the other end...The pins are fragile.

Jan 5, 2021
Power,Reset and HDD Led are some small cables connected to the top of your case...You need to connect the other end on your motherboard...The ports you need are usually in the bottom right or middle...You can find them if you search for the appropriate labels.They can be tricky to connect...For a first timer, they usually need some patience... Connect them before you install your graphics card.

USB 3.0 is the big cable with the pins in it, connected to the top of your case aswell.
Search for the appropriate port in your motherboard and carefully connect the other end...The pins are fragile.
Thanks - the confusion is the naming of the ports in the manual (link here Page 4 mb_manual_b550m-ds3h_e.pdf (gigabyte.com) ) do not marry up to the names of the wires above. sorry if i am being simple. So I am not 100 percent sure where on the motherboard to put the cables and do not want to do trial and error and force it.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
  • Next to this port, there are some pins with labels below them.There is where the Power,Reset and HDD cables go.
  • Your RGB go to any port that has the word LED next to it...If you have a lot of RGB Fans you probably gonna need a Fan Hub or a RGB Splitter cable...These ports have 3 or 4 pins...Or maybe you can power them through SATA...Depending on what you can do and what's better for aesthetics aswell.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 5, 2021
  • Your RGB go to any port that has the word LED next to it...If you have a lot of RGB Fans you probably gonna need a Fan Hub or a RGB Splitter cable...These ports have 3 or 4 pins...Or maybe you can power them through SATA...Depending on what you can do and what's better for aesthetics aswell.
Thank you really appreciate this

Jan 5, 2021
I may have a few more questions tomorrow if you guys can help out... the first one however. I have two SATA cabled plugged in the motherboard (currntly in ports 3 and 2 - not sure if it matters) I presume one goes in to the cables attached to the PSU and I am not sure where the other one will go, I only have SSD installed?...thank you.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
If you have only one SSD installed then you need one SATA cable from your drive to the motherboard and another one from your PSU to your drive...But they're different cables.One comes included with your motherboard and the other one comes with your PSU.

Jan 5, 2021
If you have only one SSD installed then you need one SATA cable from your drive to the motherboard and another one from your PSU to your drive...But they're different cables.One comes included with your motherboard and the other one comes with your PSU.
Thanks - I am only using SSD NVme m.2 SSD so presume I will not need any SATA cables in motherboard or into PSU (no additional cooling or anything as part of build which needs SATA)