[SOLVED] PLEASE HELP STUTTERS IN GAMES AFTER GPU SWITCH

Dec 6, 2020
okay if someone knows a solution to this i will be grateful forever.
my system: ryzen 5 3600
msi b450 pro vdh max
cooler master hyper 212 black
msi rtx 2070 super ventus
corsair cx750

i have been running this system and playing games for about 4 months now without issue and its been perfect for me. but then i decided to test out a new gpu i just received (gtx 1650 super) in my system. and i stupidly forgot to run ddu before installing the gpu and trying to test it. realising my mistake i shortly after used ddu and ran it a few times trying to fix my mistake. after switching back to my rtx 2070 super games stutter like crazy and if i turn the settings above low its so bad that its like a picture slideshow. before this all the same games were butter smooth on my pc. ive tried running ddu multiple times, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, reinstalling new drivers ontop of the same newest driver over and over, i tried using an older version of the driver. taking gpu and ram and everything out and reinstalling it and no luck. ive been so frustrated that ive just resorted to formatting all of my drives and losing all of my data and starting all over with a fresh install of windows 10 but somehow the problem is still there. if anyone has any ideas please please please i would appreciate any ideas you may have.

Solution
My bet would be on leftovers from previous GPUs not getting cleaned up properly between GPU changes.

Software is almost always the cause of stutters, something causing the game or anything in the driver stack to stall for a short while. The hardware itself either works or doesn't most of the time. A bad USB device for example can cause stutter - I have a USB-to- PS/2 keyboard+mouse adapter that causes standby and stutter issues (system freezes for a few frames every 5-6s) when plugged in, so I only plug it in when I absolutely need it.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I just need to narrow down the possibilities .

Try resetting the bios to defaults and see what happens. if this did not solve the problem,

then check the following,

1- Does the gtx 1650 Stutters as well when plugged into the PCIe slots ? try it , I want to make sure it is not a damaged slot / motherboard.

2- Try the card in any other PC ... see if it stutters there ..

Dec 6, 2020
cleared the cmos and it didnt help. the 2070 super is fine in other systems, and i did the same thing to my quad core gtx 970 system and same results, stutters like crazy in games now

Dec 6, 2020
I just need to narrow down the possibilities .

Try resetting the bios to defaults and see what happens. if this did not solve the problem,

then check the following,

1- Does the gtx 1650 Stutters as well when plugged into the PCIe slots ? try it , I want to make sure it is not a damaged slot / motherboard.

2- Try the card in any other PC ... see if it stutters there ..

tried it all, the 1650 stutters also, but the card neither cards stutter in other pcs, but i did the same thing in another pc of mine where i changed from 970 to 1650 and its having the exact same problems. im losing my mind and beginning to think my only option is to disassemble the pc's and sell them for parts

Dec 6, 2020
What are the specs of the second pc you tried the 1650 to?

system 1:
ryzen 5 3600
msi b450 pro vdh max
corsair cx550
cooler master hyper 212
msi rtx 2070 super ventus oc gp
16gb corsair vengence ddr4 3200mhz

system 2:
ryzen 3 3100
aorus b450 itx pro wifi
corsair tx550m
stock amd wraith stealth
asus tuf gtx 1650 super
16gb corsair vengence ddr4 3200mhz

system 3:
intel xeon e3 1240
msi h61 lga 1155 (not sure of exact model off top of my head)
coolermaster 500w 230v psu
jonsbo cr2000 rhb cpu cooler
gtx 970
16gb hyper fury x 1866mhz

system 1 and system 3 have the same problems and system 2 was just built today and still having windows installed and drivers and everything, will test out tomorrow and see if its stable with the 1650 super

Dec 6, 2020
tried it all, the 1650 stutters also, but the card neither cards stutter in other pcs, but i did the same thing in another pc of mine where i changed from 970 to 1650 and its having the exact same problems. im losing my mind and beginning to think my only option is to disassemble the pc's and sell them for parts

the 2070 super, the 1650 super, 750 ti and rx 570 all stutter in my main pc after trying the 1650 super in it and before had no problems at all

Dec 6, 2020
Is it frame rate stuttering or is like a lag with your connection, ever since I upgraded to the 3080 my connection has been getting horrible lag spikes, not frame rate drop, but i can't find anyone else having this problem, its always being explained as stuttering or frame rate drop?

Dec 6, 2020
Monitor your CPU usage, frequency and temp and see what they are doing when the stuttering occurs.
Monitor your CPU usage, frequency and temp and see what they are doing when the stuttering occurs.

cpu usage is completely fine, nowhere near a bottleneck, never reaches 70% on any core. and ive been playing all these games for 6 months or so on this system with no problems until i put that gpu in

Dec 6, 2020
Is it frame rate stuttering or is like a lag with your connection, ever since I upgraded to the 3080 my connection has been getting horrible lag spikes, not frame rate drop, but i can't find anyone else having this problem, its always being explained as stuttering or frame rate drop?

no the internet is fine, its the actual framerate. ive found a thread where some people were having the same problem as me so im trying out everything they tried.

InvalidError

Titan
My bet would be on leftovers from previous GPUs not getting cleaned up properly between GPU changes.

Software is almost always the cause of stutters, something causing the game or anything in the driver stack to stall for a short while. The hardware itself either works or doesn't most of the time. A bad USB device for example can cause stutter - I have a USB-to- PS/2 keyboard+mouse adapter that causes standby and stutter issues (system freezes for a few frames every 5-6s) when plugged in, so I only plug it in when I absolutely need it.

Solution
Dec 6, 2020
update: both systems have been fixed :) i completely took both of them apart and rebuilt them from scratch, wiped and reformatted all drives, used ddu 100 times. and basically restarted as if they were both brand new builds. then i optimised windows to the best of my abilities and they were both fixed. doesnt make much sense to be as i tried all of this before and nothing worked (besides physically taking them apart and rebuilding them) but thats what fixed the stuttering none the less. thank you for all the help guys. i really appreciate all of the help and advice.