Please help. Very odd fps issue

Nov 14, 2018
Howdy, friends!

This is my first post on the forum. I'll start of by saying that I'm by no means an expert in these matters and that's naturally the reason for me reaching out to you guys.

At the beginning of this year I built my own PC with the help of a work colleague. I wanted to have a nice setup that could play the latest games with 60 fps 1080p resolution. The entire computer with the monitor included cost the equivalent of about $1300 (I'm from Sweden). My specs are as follows:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 23 °C
14nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1199MHz (15-17-17-35)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. AX370-Gaming K3 (AM4) 31 °C
Graphics
C24F390 (1920x1080@59Hz)
4096MB ATI Radeon RX 560 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 30 °C
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164 (SATA ) 32 °C
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

The problem that haunts me is simply that my fps is laughable. Even on not-so-demanding games I can have 24 - 30 fps if I'm lucky, but usually it drops down to around 15 fps. It doesn't really help either to lower the settings. The strange thing however is that I can sometimes out of the blue get a frame rate of say 30 - 40, which under current conditions is a godsend. The latter mentioned rate sometimes appear directly after I've updated my graphic driver. Usually it's short-lived and I'm back to square one.

As I said previously, I'm far from an expert and I don't find it easy to troubleshoot. I did try to set the computer's power settings to high, which initially seemed to help a bit but not really anymore. I read a couple of threads here about low fps being connected to something called "CPU core parking". I downloaded the Coder Bag software but when I started the program everything was set to 100% and all CPU cores were activated. I don't know what that means exactly but it would seem to me that it's not the issue.

There's probably more to tell but I'll give the floor now to you guys, the experts. Ask away if there's a line of inquiry you feel is warranted.

I sincerely appreciate all help you can provide! It's not fun investing so much money only to get this bad performance! :(

Nov 14, 2018

Thank you for a fast reply. My RAM is installed in the right slots. It was even double checked not too long ago by a tech guy, so that shouldn't be an issue. As for XMP, I hadn't heard about that before and read a quick guide about it. I went in to the BIOS and choose "Profile 1" under the XMP option which I assume is what you meant. Unfortunately, it didn't have the desired effect.

At the moment, I'm hitting around 30 fps in-game if I'm lucky - lower when in heavy action.

Its operating at x8. Is the card installed in the slot nearest the CPU? I just looked up your board. The slot nearest the CPU(the top slot) is the x16 slot. If its installed there, next thing to check is the BIOS. I'm not exactly sure where, but there should be a tab labeled PCIe . Make sure that is set to x16 or AUTO

Nov 14, 2018
Ok so I tried to make sure the graphics card is installed in the top slot of the motherboard, and it would seem so. I'm not sure if it's visible on this photo or not.

So next, I checked the BIOS for any option concerning PCI as you said. The one and only I found was called "PCIe Slot Configuration" and it was set to "Auto". The other options are "Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3".

What do I do next?

Nov 14, 2018

I actually did try that and went back to GPUZ to check. Unfotunately, it was still set to x8.

I don't know if this is of any use but when I open msi Afterburner this is what it looks like. I don't know if 214 and 300 MHz is low or not.

If I benchmark or stress test it usually can come up to about 57 fps but basically never in-game.

Nov 14, 2018
Is there really nothing else to do? If no one on this forum can help me, do you have any suggestions for another forum or site that could be of service? I really appreciate the help so far.