[SOLVED] Please help with using Karaoke mic on PC ?

Feb 26, 2022
Hi! Would appreciate if someone could help. I'm trying to use two Karaoke microphones with my laptop. Both are connected wirelessly to a receiver (TS) and they seem to work fine. I am able to connect to my phone with a TS to TRS adapter and they work (detected as a Headset) but I am able to record on my phone. However I want to connect them to my laptop and I wasn't able to make it work on any PC. I tried with a splitter but the issue is the same: the PC detects it as an Input and Output device in the device manager but it does not appear as a Microphone in the settings menu. Also when connecting the mics to the adapter it shows two output devices. I've updated my drivers and no PC is able to detect it. I guess my Phone and Laptop have both TRRS as I usually use headsets with mics on them. I have read Line In and Mic In signals are different but I don't really understand how and need some help. Would mean the world right now tbh. Thanks!

Mics: GMark X220
Laptop: Lenovo Legion 5

Solution
Best guess with the available specs: you need a TRS to TRRS adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Movo-MC3-Mic...645925905&sprefix=trs+to+trrs+,aps,168&sr=8-5

Since the Lenovo doesn't have the standard two jack headphone out-mic in system like most computers, the adapter would appear to be necessary for Windows to recognize them only being microphones. The changeover from TRS to TRRS is a real mess; I'm surprised your phone allows you to record with them since some phones like my Pixel 4a will not and requires an adapter like the one above.
Best guess with the available specs: you need a TRS to TRRS adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Movo-MC3-Mic...645925905&sprefix=trs+to+trrs+,aps,168&sr=8-5

Since the Lenovo doesn't have the standard two jack headphone out-mic in system like most computers, the adapter would appear to be necessary for Windows to recognize them only being microphones. The changeover from TRS to TRRS is a real mess; I'm surprised your phone allows you to record with them since some phones like my Pixel 4a will not and requires an adapter like the one above.

Reactions: Xavi190
Solution
Feb 26, 2022
Thank you a lot! It is weird indeed how my phone works. It's a Poco X3 NFC and weirdly enough it doesn't work with the splitter as it only detects input... I guess sockets are trrs too...
I ordered already the adapter, but a much cheaper one I found (I'm in Spain and the one you sent was 180€). Is it the exchange or does it need to be anything special? Thanks for your detailed advice! I'm an engineer and learnt a lot with this as I had no experience with sound connectors.

Reactions: dwd999
Thank you a lot! It is weird indeed how my phone works. It's a Poco X3 NFC and weirdly enough it doesn't work with the splitter as it only detects input... I guess sockets are trrs too...
I ordered already the adapter, but a much cheaper one I found (I'm in Spain and the one you sent was 180€). Is it the exchange or does it need to be anything special? Thanks for your detailed advice! I'm an engineer and learnt a lot with this as I had no experience with sound connectors.
As long as the adapter has a TRS or TS socket on one end and a TRRS plug on the other end, it should work the same. Its sad that the people who write the documentation for all of these devices don't fully explain what's going on in each jack or socket. Not using standard TRS and TRRS identifiers for their sockets makes connecting things much more difficult. That's one of the reasons why companies like Rode with their VideoMic NTG microphone are including autosensing circuitry in the microphone that determines what type of jack its being plugged into so it can be used with either TRS cameras or TRRS phones without needing a adapter. Maybe there's something similar in your phone but we'll never know because the documentation simply isn't there.

Reactions: Xavi190
Feb 26, 2022
My only final question then is, will both mic channels be available with the adapter? Because with your explanation I believe the TRS uses two mic channels right? And a TRRS will be mono mic, right? Sorry fro dragging this adapter as I believe should work. TRS - TRSS adapter

Feb 26, 2022
Exactly, I think I got those basics down. However, I bought a splitter (1x TRRS male - 2 female) and I couldn't make it work, my PC kept not detecting the microphone as well as my phone (which worked without the splitter). I believe the sockets on the splitter are TRRS too but it makes no sense to me. I hope my last purchase will do the trick.

My only final question then is, will both mic channels be available with the adapter? Because with your explanation I believe the TRS uses two mic channels right? And a TRRS will be mono mic, right? Sorry fro dragging this adapter as I believe should work. TRS - TRSS adapter
The adapter appears to be the correct one that you need for the combo TRRS jack in your laptop. Both mic channels are already combined into mono by the wireless adapter. As you can see the TS output of the wireless adapter is only mono one channel and so is the TRS adapter that fits over the TS plug. So the TRRS output would also be mono.

Feb 26, 2022
The adapter appears to be the correct one that you need for the combo TRRS jack in your laptop. Both mic channels are already combined into mono by the wireless adapter. As you can see the TS output of the wireless adapter is only mono one channel and so is the TRS adapter that fits over the TS plug. So the TRRS output would also be mono.

Thank you! The adapter just arrived and it worked! I am now unable to separate both channels and use them separately, but my PC detects a dual channel microphone, it's great. Thank you! Will keep working on it :)

Edit: Found out with Audacity that both channels of both mics are duplicated... if I speak to one, my PC picks it up on both channels...

Last edited:
Thank you! The adapter just arrived and it worked! I am now unable to separate both channels and use them separately, but my PC detects a dual channel microphone, it's great. Thank you! Will keep working on it :)

Edit: Found out with Audacity that both channels of both mics are duplicated... if I speak to one, my PC picks it up on both channels...
Yes, unfortunately that is the way the wireless adapter is designed to function. The 2 mics are combined inside the wireless adapter and there is only a single channel mono output from the wireless adapter. Its mono all the way but at least your PC can record it.

Apr 29, 2022

Hola Xavi! Lograste hacer que funcione el micrófono en tu POCO X3 con un splitter? Tengo el mismo problema.

Feb 26, 2022
I was able to make it work but only in mono channel. So the receptor received both mics but joined them into a single channel. The splitter was only used to convert TS to TRS and then to TRRS. If you plan on using it with separate channels (e.g Ultrastar or Singstar) you will have to buy either have separate receptors for each mic or similar HW and SW. I went with some wireless Singstar mics.