[SOLVED] "Please power down and connect the pcie power cables..." GTX 950

Jan 10, 2019
Hello,

Whenever I start my pc it shows "Please power down and connect the pcie power cables to your graphics card". At first it worked after I pulled the power cable out and plugged them in again. But then after a few minutes the display went black. Now it shows "Please power down and connect the pcie power cables to your graphics card".

It only has 6pin pcie power cable port. I plugged the cable properly into it. Tried with a different PSU.

Hardware Spec: GPU: Zotac GTX 950 Amp! edition.
CPU: Xeon X3440
Motherboard: Asus P7H55M
PSU: Corsair VS450

The methods I tried:
> Tested another GPU with my setup and it worked. But my GPU won't work on another system and shows same error! Thus I narrowed down that the problem is in my GPU.
>Flashed the default vBios. I never tinkered with vBIOS or Overclocking settings. Someone told me to give "flashing default vBios" a shot and I did. It didn't worked either.
>Someone said to keep the system on for an hour or so with the error screen and then reset. Didn't worked.
>Unscrewed the heatsink and fans. Cleaned it, applied new thermal paste. (at this point, why not?)

*Warranty expired couple of months ago.
Any kind of solution to fix this would really help. Thank you.

Solution
Sounds like it may be a problem in the card's electronics. You might check however, to see if the 6-pin header has a broken solder point where it attaches to the card. Or a burnt socket. But you might be looking a getting a replacement gfx card.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like it may be a problem in the card's electronics. You might check however, to see if the 6-pin header has a broken solder point where it attaches to the card. Or a burnt socket. But you might be looking a getting a replacement gfx card.

Solution
Jan 10, 2019

Will baking the card fix the broken solder point?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If you get the card hot enough to melt solder, the rest of the card will melt too. It takes ~360F to melt solder. So, no.

Jan 10, 2019

How do I check for broken solder point?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
First, eyeball the 6-pin header where it attaches to the circuit board. Look for any obvious breaks. Next, use a continuity tester (like on a volt meter) to test from each of the header's pin sockets to the point on the card where the header legs are soldered. If all is good, then the problem lies elsewhere. Maybe where you can't fix it.