[SOLVED] Please tell me if i have to buy a gtx 1050ti or gtx 1060 (in order to have no bottelneck )

Aug 11, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have a z620 workstation with dual cpu xeon E2620 v0 2.0ghz 6cores & 12 threads per each processor.

And i have 48 gb of ram Ecc ddr3 1333mhz

In order to engoy and play some games such
gta 5 & watchdogs 2 & sekiro $ forza3 ...

I want to buy a gtx 1050 ti or 1060 6gb

Can you tell me what do ihave to buy in order to have no fres drops and freez...

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME A WORKSTATION NOT MADE FOR GAMING i know that but i just play some games .

Please help me please.

Solution
but i have a problem i just find in our market an MSI gtx 1060 6gb oc gddrx5 with 6 PIN & 8PIN connectors ...

i have a 800 w PSU with 2 6 Pin cables.

i checked the power consumption needed for this graphic card i find 120W

so i think im safe with my PSU ?

6pin & 6pin offered 75*2 = 150W
im oky ??????

i don't need to use my 6pin and convert the other 6pin to an 8pin connector

Just to let you know i'll not overclocking it at all.

No, if any card requires a SINGLE 8-pin as well as a 6-pin cable, then you need to have a compatible PSU with you. You need to plug both the cables. Cannot use a 6-PIN cable on a 8-PIN slot.

Are you sure the MSI GTX 1060 also requires an 8-PIN, because all the models draw power from one...
Aug 11, 2019
The GTX 1060 is way much better/faster than the GTX 1050 Ti. But why don't you go for one of the new TURING GPUs instead, e.g. 1650/1660/1660 Ti ?
Z
Even AMD RX 500 series might be an option, if you are interested in the red team.

Thank you so much.
Honstly my just probleme if my cpu is too weak ???

And if the new generation would work with my old pc properlly??
My flash bios is 2018 .

Yes, your CPU is kind of weak, having a 2 GHz clock speed. It might create some bottleneck, but this will also depend on the type of game being played.

If the last BIOS flash is from 2018, then the new cards should also work, though I'm not 100% sure. The GTX 1060 should work easily though. Can you afford to upgrade your workstation system ?

Or maybe grab some other better/faster CPU for your Motherboard ?

Reactions: Jhonz
Aug 11, 2019
Yes, your CPU is kind of weak, having a 2 GHz clock speed. It might create some bottleneck, but this will also depend on the type of game being played.

If the last BIOS flash is from 2018, then the new cards should also work, though I'm not 100% sure. The GTX 1060 should work easily though. Can you afford to upgrade your workstation system ?

Or maybe grab some other better/faster CPU for your Motherboard ?

Good Morning Metal Messiah.

definitely i prepare for an upgrade.

but for now i just want to play hhh i mean just purchasing a new graphic cards

i check on YouTube and i see the gtx 1060 would work properly with my system.

but i have a problem i just find in our market an MSI gtx 1060 6gb oc gddrx5 with 6 PIN & 8PIN connectors ...

im oky ??????

im oky ??????

No, if any card requires a SINGLE 8-pin as well as a 6-pin cable, then you need to have a compatible PSU with you. You need to plug both the cables. Cannot use a 6-PIN cable on a 8-PIN slot.

Are you sure the MSI GTX 1060 also requires an 8-PIN, because all the models draw power from one 6-pin power connector. Which PSU model is that ? How many PCI-E/PEG connectors are there with the PSU ? Do NOT use any MOLEX adapters either.

Being a 800 Watts, it should have both 6 and 8-pin (6+2 splitter) cables. But first list the exact make/brand and MODEL number of your power supply. That MSI card should only be requiring a single 6-pin cable, IMO.

Edit: Only some models from MSI require a SINGLE 8-PIN cable.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 11, 2019

Are you sure the MSI GTX 1060 also requires an 8-PIN, because all the models draw power from one 6-pin power connector. Which PSU model is that ? How many PCI-E/PEG connectors are there with the PSU ? Do NOT use any MOLEX adapters either.

Being a 800 Watts, it should have both 6 and 8-pin (6+2 splitter) cables. But first list the exact make/brand and MODEL number of your power supply. That MSI card should only be requiring a single 6-pin cable, IMO.

The normal msi gtx 1060 with gddr5 requires 8pin connector
but the msi gtx 1060 with GDDR5X requires 6pin +8pin i'm sure enough about it.

i had the normal psu 800w come out with the HP Z620 workstation.

i have just 2* 6pin connectors.
i cannot convert 6 to 8pin using an adpter ??

or should i just by a MSI gtx 1050 Ti to stay out of problems??

i jsut want to play GTA 5 /watchdogs 2 / tomb raider /forza horison not online fps just story mode with 1080p.??

i don't think i'd have a problem?? bottleneck ?

but the msi gtx 1060 with GDDR5X requires 6pin +8pin i'm sure enough about it.

Then please provide a link/url/website of the shop from where you are buying this card. I need to verify the source first. Only some models from MSI require a SINGLE 8-PIN cable. They don't get power from both the 8-pin and 6-pin cables.

Other GTX 1060 brand Models require only 2 6-PIN connectors instead. Its seems you are having an OEM PSU. But, can you confirm the exact PSU model/brand. It's an HP workstation so I assume it would be having a decent PSU.

Aug 11, 2019
Then please provide a link/url/website of the shop from where you are buying this card. I need to verify the source first. Only some models from MSI require a SINGLE 8-PIN cable. They don't get power from both the 8-pin and 6-pin cables.

Other GTX 1060 brand Models require only 2 6-PIN connectors instead. Its seems you are having an OEM PSU. But, can you confirm the exact PSU model/brand. It's an HP workstation so I assume it would be having a decent PSU.

Thank you so much for this great support i appreciate it.
yes i have an OEM PSU the original that came with the hp workstation z620 with 800W

i found this : MSI gtx 1060 6gb armor
with 8pin & i wanna buy it .

and a friend of mine told me that he use the same adapter (dual 6pin to 8pin) that i want to purchase and he have no problem .

Aug 11, 2019
i have a chance to buy an MSI RX 580 8gb armor ...
and i'm a little bit confused with one

depend on temperature ?!!
i have the standard case z620. with standard fans and air flow system.

by the way my friend has rx 580 8gb msi armor and he powered on with dual 6pin to 8pin with no problem.

So please GTX 1060 6gb msi armor
RX 580 8gb msi armor

rx lead the race with 10 fps overage of most games and some the same.