Question PoE Switch recommendation for extreme temperatures ?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hi all,

Looking to install some security cameras on the second level of my house. In my attic are 2 network cables running to my 24 port Ubiquiti PoE switch. One is running a WAP the other is doing nothing right now. Since getting 4 PoE cables (Or really 3 more) back down into the basement where all my hardware is would be, in short, a pain if not impossible what I would like to do is mount a 4 port PoE switch in the attic which will then power the cameras, and the data obviously will travel down the existing line.

My issue is that it is my attic, cold winter temps I'm not that concerned about, not like it would get below freezing, but in the summer I would have to imagine on really hot days it can reach well over 130F up there. I am looking for a recommendation on a 5 port PoE switch that can handle such temperatures, preferably from Ubiquiti but any brand is fine.

The other option would be a standard 5 port switch with 4 PoE injectors, this is not ideal both due to price and I'd imagine this may run into the same temperature issues. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but would rather do that then wire this all up and find that i have non functional cameras for half the summer.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

Looking to install some security cameras on the second level of my house. In my attic are 2 network cables running to my 24 port Ubiquiti PoE switch. One is running a WAP the other is doing nothing right now. Since getting 4 PoE cables (Or really 3 more) back down into the basement where all my hardware is would be, in short, a pain if not impossible what I would like to do is mount a 4 port PoE switch in the attic which will then power the cameras, and the data obviously will travel down the existing line.

My issue is that it is my attic, cold winter temps I'm not that concerned about, not like it would get below freezing, but in the summer I would have to imagine on really hot days it can reach well over 130F up there. I am looking for a recommendation on a 5 port PoE switch that can handle such temperatures, preferably from Ubiquiti but any brand is fine.

The other option would be a standard 5 port switch with 4 PoE injectors, this is not ideal both due to price and I'd imagine this may run into the same temperature issues. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but would rather do that then wire this all up and find that i have non functional cameras for half the summer.
The USW-Flex is what I use in my TX attic. Power it with the 60W POE injector on the uplink. That way the power supply stays in the climate controlled area.
From https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-switching/products/usw-flex
You will have to put the notification on to know when there is stock to buy....

Operating Temperature
46W PoE Output
25W PoE Output

-40 to 55° C (-40 to 131° F)
-40 to 65° C (-40 to 149° F)

Last edited:
I would dig around microtik site and see if they have anything that will work. This is a example but watch out in this case it is a PASSIVE poe and I suspect you need 802.3af/at.
A lot of their stuff is rated for even outdoor use. This switch can go to -20c --+70c. What is kind strange you will find equipment does not like cold more than hot. Many can not run below freezing.

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB260GSP

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I would dig around microtik site and see if they have anything that will work. This is a example but watch out in this case it is a PASSIVE poe and I suspect you need 802.3af/at.
A lot of their stuff is rated for even outdoor use. This switch can go to -20c --+70c. What is kind strange you will find equipment does not like cold more than hot. Many can not run below freezing.

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB260GSP

Correct the cameras are 802.3af

This, powered on its own powersupply. seems like it would do the job

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-switching/products/usw-flex