Point to point

Dper3454

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017
I'm looking to set up a point to point system for internet. I am approximately 1.75mi. Away from a family member who has comcast which is not provided for us to me due to my rural address. At ground level it's clean site. I plan on location the dishes roughly 15-17' above ground level. My concerns are to get it set up where I don't want to see any of the devices nor they see any of mine. What is the best solution to make the happen? I currently have the ubiquiti nbe-5ac-19 antennas. What else should I purchase to make this happen securely

Solution

Actually those NanoStation should work too. But you will get less throughput from the comcast internet than with a larger radio system. Since the radio is built in, they are more than just antenas. Setting them up with WPA2 with AES encryption and a complex key will provide all the security you need. The trick is really to get them aligned for maximum performance. Something that you may be able to do yourself with a helper on the other end or may require a pro installation. Look at the installation manual instructions for how the devices can help.

I don't want to see any of the devices nor they see any of...

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Ubiquiti products are probably the best bet. Look at the airfibre line. But even with line of sight, the distance may require a the antennas be on a tower to avoid interference. That determination will need to be made onsite by an installer.

You are likely going to need some towers unless the houses on both ends are 2 story. The issue you have when going long distances is reflected signals from the ground interfering. This is related to what is called fresnel zone. There are calculators that will tell you the distance above the ground. In this case the calculators say you need 20ft now this is above clear flat ground. If there are things like hills or buildings in the path it gets much more complex.

Still it should work well on short poles on the top of 2 story houses if you have that option.

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

Actually those NanoStation should work too. But you will get less throughput from the comcast internet than with a larger radio system. Since the radio is built in, they are more than just antenas. Setting them up with WPA2 with AES encryption and a complex key will provide all the security you need. The trick is really to get them aligned for maximum performance. Something that you may be able to do yourself with a helper on the other end or may require a pro installation. Look at the installation manual instructions for how the devices can help.

I don't want to see any of the devices nor they see any of mine.

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about computers on the local networks? That has to be taken care of with other hardware. Probably with a managed switch.

A managed switch can isolate the networks.

Solution