Pointless to buy digital downloads these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfandTheJoker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
So recently I bought a movie off Amazon Prime to download. I was planning to build a digital library of movies I like on a separate hard drive I have. Problem is Amazon won't let you technically have the download despite paying for it. The only way you can access it is through their app. I think that is stupid to be honest. It is like buying a car but the dealership says you can only fill it with THEIR gas. The more and more these companies do this the more like I can to grab a VPN and stick it to the man.

Now if anyone knows of a place where I can actually download a title that I bought onto any storage device please let me know.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Buy the physical disc and look for Ultra Violet (not sure they still use this terminology) or digital download on the package. They will let you download a DRMd copy to a device. This may still require internet access, etc, and/or an app. Might also have device restrictions and limitations. And there is still the possibility that you will lose access to the media when the device fails.

Welcome to the modern world, you own nothing, just a license to operate/view it. Depending on your geographical location. Still being hashed out in the courts. Last big win was unlocked mobile devices.

Physical disc is still the only sure fire way to keep something around, at least for now.

Reactions: Barty1884

Wolfshadw

Titan
You really do want to purchase a physical disk because here's what I've seen happen.

Purchase a digital version of the movie.
Department of Transportation is working on the street down at the corner.
Whoops! Looks like the accidentally cut the cable line!
No TV. Now would be a good time to watch that movie I purchased...
Oh Wait! I can't watch my purchased movie because someone else killed my service!
If only I had a disc I could drop into a drive...

-Wolf sends

Reactions: COLGeek
D

Deleted member 14196

Don’t buy from Amazon prime if you use iTunes you can download their stuff to your PC or Nas drive and watch it whenever you want

Ralston18

Titan
"Welcome to the modern world, you own nothing, just a license to operate/view it "

Well sometimes we get the equivalent of the proverbial "Check Engine" light which means we can pay lots of money to get someone to fix something that is somehow broken to work again after some amount of effort and time on our part.

Of course that is touted as a feature or function for the end user.

o_O

Reactions: COLGeek
I use https://www.playon.tv
to record to my 3tb hdd then I can put them on any drive I want and play them anytime any where.
I have the lifetime subscription.
I have a portable 2tb hard that comes out with me on the road that I plug into my laptop which has hdmi then to my 32in tv.
Most of what I have recorded came from Netflix and some from Youtube.
The only draw back is if the movie or show is 2hrs long it will take 2hrs to record.
I have set it up for unattended recording for a week straight running 24/7 while I was away.
It is more or less a Stream Recorder.
You can just stream or do both at the same time.
If you want a tv show that has commercial breaks it will keep playing from the break point so No commercials. ( atleast on Netflix ).
Here are the channels you can record from
With some additional subscriptions required ie: Netflix/ Amazon Prime / HBO and such.
https://www.playon.tv/whats-on
All of my recordings are in Mp4 format and I have hooked the 2tb drive to a smart Dvd player to watch on my tv before I bought a laptop for the road.
Hope this helps
Have A Great Weekend Guy's

Reactions: WolfandTheJoker

WolfandTheJoker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
I use https://www.playon.tv
to record to my 3tb hdd then I can put them on any drive I want and play them anytime any where.
I have the lifetime subscription.
I have a portable 2tb hard that comes out with me on the road that I plug into my laptop which has hdmi then to my 32in tv.
Most of what I have recorded came from Netflix and some from Youtube.
The only draw back is if the movie or show is 2hrs long it will take 2hrs to record.
I have set it up for unattended recording for a week straight running 24/7 while I was away.
It is more or less a Stream Recorder.
You can just stream or do both at the same time.
If you want a tv show that has commercial breaks it will keep playing from the break point so No commercials. ( atleast on Netflix ).
Here are the channels you can record from
With some additional subscriptions required ie: Netflix/ Amazon Prime / HBO and such.
https://www.playon.tv/whats-on
All of my recordings are in Mp4 format and I have hooked the 2tb drive to a smart Dvd player to watch on my tv before I bought a laptop for the road.
Hope this helps
Have A Great Weekend Guy's
So I did some digging and downloaded a movie into MP4 format, but the standard windows media player dislikes MP4s any recommended software to play MP4s?

I think that is stupid to be honest. It is like buying a car but the dealership says you can only fill it with THEIR gas.
Em no, buying a digital movie is like calling a cab only that you can call it as many times as you want for the one price.
Sure, easy. VLC is my favorite. Guide. Make sure your storage is fast enough and you have plenty of space - it will produce huge files that you can later compress with, say, Handbrake.
If you have an nvidia GPU you can use shadowplay that will save the movie to disk already compressed in x264 or even x265 if you want to.

apoette2

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
So recently I bought a movie off Amazon Prime to download. I was planning to build a digital library of movies I like on a separate hard drive I have. Problem is Amazon won't let you technically have the download despite paying for it. The only way you can access it is through their app. I think that is stupid to be honest. It is like buying a car but the dealership says you can only fill it with THEIR gas. The more and more these companies do this the more like I can to grab a VPN and stick it to the man.

Now if anyone knows of a place where I can actually download a title that I bought onto any storage device please let me know.
Get PlayOn and download your videos to your pc or phone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.