News Pokemon with guns" game Palworld sells 5 million copies, tops Steam most played in a single weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blastomonas

Great
Oct 18, 2023
Perhaps, but the first thing I thought when I saw it was it's Pokémon with guns.

I imagine that most people will see it the same and it's maybe one of the reasons that it's so popular.

I will be surprised if Nintendo don't react to this.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Nintendo and Pokemon shouldn't be given exclusive control over the monster collecting and battling genre. Digimon, Monster Hunter Stories, Monster Rancher, Dragon Quest Monsters, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, and others have incorporated monster collecting and battling features. The designs of some Pals share similarities with Pokemon. However, the same comparisons between Pokemon and Digimon, Pokemon and Dragon Quest Monsters, and similar comparisons can be made across other franchises. Palworld is distinct enough. Any action Nintendo takes against Palworld would be an overreach.

Describing a game with the world "survival" usually turns me off to playing it. I'm thinking of giving Palworld a play tonight though. I was a huge Pokemon fan. I remember reading about Pocket Monsters Red and Blue in Nintendo Power well in advance of them crossing the Pacific, and then I played both before the franchise blew up. I wanted Game Freak to make a "Pokemon Breath of the Wild" after playing Zelda BOTW and seeing the Detective Pikachu movie. I don't think Game Freak has delivered on that idea. Pokemon has been predictable, stale, and boring for years. Palworld looks like it pushes the genre in a new direction. Hopefully Palworld forces Nintendo and Game Freak to evolve the Pokemon formula instead of endlessly rehashing it.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Meanwhile, in the chart of Steam's Most Played Games, on a spot far far away (e.g. right now, 12 players in multi-player) :

How I wish that SW Squadrons would have ripped off X-Wing vs TIE Fighter (from 1997), or X-Wing Alliance. It could have been a so much better game.

Seriously. In particular XvT came with different dogfighting modes, a number of different missions (playable co-op or against each other), with in particular the BoP campaign playable also in multi-player. Additionally, a mission creator tool, with which story-like missions could be created (SP and MP).

Squadrons, on the other hand, has one dogfighting mode, "a capital ship battle" (PvP or PvE), and a single-player campaign... And that's it. At least it has VR-support, which is quite cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.