Poll Shows DRM Policy Could Hurt Xbox One Sales

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
"If boxes aren't selling because of strict DRM policies, no one will be making money." - that's one thing most of these companies are utterly incapable of understanding. Those dollar signs start rolling in their eyes and all logic and reason is forgotten.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Like several people already said, we all put up with Steam DRM because we get games at a BIG discount. Do you really think MS is going to knock off a few bucks to make the deal a little better? That answer would be an emphatic NO. Steam offers us value, so we are more tolerant towards them.

leaderWON

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
same ole microsoft: great tech/ideas, horrible implementation/marketing.

let me explain: sharing/gifting/selling digitally downloaded games = awesome. constant online check-in is bad and should only be necessary when sharing dd games. keep the disk based games like current gen and allow installs to hdd but still with disk checks to play. simple. everyone is happy and you still push into the future.

sometimes change can be too much for people, forcing change is even worse. so why i understand what they are trying to do i believe their implementation is horrible. what’s really sad is they could easily correct this policy before the console is released but I think their corporate culture is too prideful to do it…

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I, personally, won't have any part of this console, but the only ways I can see this working is in:

(1) When it comes time to sell you Xbox One, you'd pretty much keep all your games throughout the cycle. Then you'd sell your hardware, games, and the account as one bundle. Good forsight would be to create an email account just for this console.

(2) Microsoft would have to put in backward compatibility when going to the next gen, so your game collection doesn't become worthless. I think if they advertised this alongside this DRM policy, it might smooth this constapation.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I, personally, won't have any part of this console, but the only ways I can see this working is in:

(1) When it comes time to sell you Xbox One, you'd pretty much keep all your games throughout the cycle. Then you'd sell your hardware, games, and the account as one bundle. Good forsight would be to create an email account just for this console.

(2) Microsoft would have to put in backward compatibility when going to the next gen, so your game collection doesn't become worthless. I think if they advertised this alongside this DRM policy, it might smooth this constapation.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Steam is the biggest DRM pile there is, but PC gaming still rules because your investment in games stays with you as you go from one generation to the next. I have accumulated roughly 200 games on Steam since Steam first started. The very first game I bought still works on my PC rig today.

jmb1981

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
It sucks that companies no longer want you to own anything. They just want you to license it which means they can pretty much do what they want.

jmb1981

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
It sucks that companies no longer want you to own anything. They just want you to license it which means they can pretty much do what they want.

cripton

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Greed greed greed! I don't feel good about the direction Microsoft is taking lately. This DRM stuff in this case is like if I buy an iPod or a dvd movie and can't lend them to a friend or family member. If I pay $60 for a CD, the content of that copy is mine to do whatever I want with it (except replicating it, its a whole other discussion). I have an Xbox 360 and will be buying a PS4 when it comes out. Even if Microsoft changes its mind about the DRM stuff, I don't like their way of thinking and handling its customers trust.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Dear M$,
1. I don't want your DRM, save it for your PC based crap. Console piracy is far less than PC.
2. Consoles checking in every 24 hours is plain stupid. Why alienate a significant chunk of consumers.
3. I don't want to have to use your junky Kinect.

At one point in my life I would have defended Microsoft's choices. They've lost the vision that they once had. Now their vision consists of, how much garbage software can we cram down consumers throats to make a quarter. Case in point. Two words "start menu"

pariahdox

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
I'm with r3dl1n3 on this: My X1 will always be connected and I never lose connectivity completely, so I'm not worried about that. I have been playing used games on my 360 the last few years, but I have a feeling the stance on that with the X1 will change donw the road and the 3rd parties may not even adopt it. Call me a nationalist if you want, I jsut like the fact that M$ in an American company for one. And, I've been using M$ products for years. If you can do better then, by all means... I am a M$ fanboy! :-D

te100

Distinguished
It doesnt matter it will still sell. The masses complain all the time when drm is introduced into something yet they still go out and buy it. Diablo 3 with its always on still sold 3.5 million in 24 hours with 12 million in 2012.

redeemer

Distinguished

I guess you never heard of Xbox Live?

jamesjones_det

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Well if you weren't a fanboy you would know it doesn't matter how good your internet connection is, if microsoft's servers are flooded it won't matter if you have google fiber you won't be getting your game on launch day. Minor games like Diablo iii and Simcity already went through this nightmare, can you even imagin what Halo or CoD will be like? You might get to download the game two weeks after its been released for god sakes.

I loved the original Xbox and 360 but I plan to steer clear of the One until this junk gets flushed out (if it ever does).

Status
Not open for further replies.