Polytron Unveils World's First Fully Transparent Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]the_creed4[/nom]So now you can creepily stare at people, and when asked to stop, you can say you was just texting![/citation]Yep pretty much

"The only visible components are the board, chips, memory card and camera"
Shouldn't the title say "Polytron Unveils World's First 98% Transparent Smartphone

InvalidError

Titan
Everyone can see what you're typing or looking at from the other side.

Wonder how easy/hard it might be to read stuff on a see-through display. It would likely need to be a fair bit brighter than on a black substrate to overcome ambient flooding.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Everyone can see what you're typing or looking at from the other side.[/citation] This could easily be fixed if they coat the back with a one way mirror.

anon8172

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]This could easily be fixed if they coat the back with a one way mirror.[/citation]

You can glue a mirror on your current smartphone and look through the camera in order to do this. Your phone will 'seem' transparent, because you can superimpose an image of what the camera sees onto your work surface.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Devoteicon[/nom]They think they're being innovative and futuristic, but in reality, it's just lame and unnecessary.[/citation]
Yea! Who needs any of this 'technology' BS they're throwing at us? We don't!
Row row, fight the powa!

blingybob

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
As you can see in the pictures above and below, the prototype device is almost fully transparent. The only components visible on the device are the board, chips memory card and camera.

The rest of the device is a piece of glass that sports a small touchscreen (also transparent) located in the center of the device. According to Polytron, its technology may be available by the end of 2013.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]Wow its tough to find my phone sometimes when it is dead now... if it was transparent I'd be completely screwed.[/citation]

High precision GPS tracking!

Though, that could also be used against you...

[citation][nom]Devoteicon[/nom]They think they're being innovative and futuristic, but in reality, it's just lame and unnecessary.[/citation]

Exactly what I was thinking. Seems pretty stupid and useless. Also if it is compleatly see through (other than the parts mentioned) than how is that going to work out doors. Phone LCD screens (and laptops) can already be hard to see in a really sunny room or outdoors. Also the rest of the device is glass so what happens if you drop it? Lastly how is this inovative all it is, is a see through body anyone could have come up with that.

G

I call BS on it being a "smart phone". Do you think that small touchscreen will support any meaningful apps? Nope. Think there's a long-life battery in there? Nope. Do you see a speaker? Nope. You might be able to pull off some kind of "feature phone" with very few components and a very small battery, but it won't be what we expect from a "smart phone".

Supercrit

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]This could easily be fixed if they coat the back with a one way mirror.[/citation]

You know that one way mirror does not work when both sides has similar light intensity right?

anderamos

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Do not get me wrong, I love innovation and new techs and stuff but this "prototype" just looks like some regular phone components sticked to a transparent polycarbonate...

More over, the "display" can only display 0 and 1, since it seems holographic, the only PCB shown seems the one used for the audio (where is the main PCB?), the SD card is connected to thin air and the same goes for the mini USB.

I have taken a lock at the web page of Polytron Tech from Taiwan and its business is more about working with glass and its visual effects than "transparent smart phones".

To sum up: Fake, viral, ad...

Status
Not open for further replies.