Polytron Unveils World's First Fully Transparent Smartphone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm with anderamos on this one. The pictures simply appear to show a prototype glass body for a smart phone. The few electronic parts shown aren't connected to anything, and the battery, screen, and necessary phone circuitry are missing.

super d spamalot

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
[citation][nom]madjedi74[/nom]It's a prototype people! Stop whinging! How is the development of cool tech like this a bad thing?[/citation]

You do remember which website you're on, right? These people can't even use Windows without a start menu and you expect them to embrace something new and cool? Everything must stay the same and never change! Until I actually have one, then it's the best thing ever and you better not dare say any different!

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
[citation][nom]super d spamalot[/nom]You do remember which website you're on, right? These people can't even use Windows without a start menu and you expect them to embrace something new and cool? Everything must stay the same and never change! Until I actually have one, then it's the best thing ever and you better not dare say any different![/citation]
I get your point but you really used wrong example saying that ppl can't even use Windows without a start menu.It is not that they can't they chose not to as provided alternative is not seen as progress for better thus refusal of using it.

G

if u enlarge the image you can see a very fine line connected to each others

I call complete BS on this.

Among many other obvious signs (SIM card and microSD card connected to nothing, no battery, nothing connecting to the µUSB connector, piece of tape for a speaker, etc.), the 'Small Touchscreen' is obviously a holographic sticker on a plate of glass.
You can even clearly see on the upper right hand edge of the landscape orientated photo that this sticker is starting to come loose.

Any 'journalist' that reports this story as fact without checking any facts is no real journalist.
Remember that Xbox hoax that Zak posted as fact last week?
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Xbox-720-X-Surface-Rumors-Hoax,news-16653.html#xtor=RSS-980

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]madjedi74[/nom]It's a prototype people! Stop whinging! How is the development of cool tech like this a bad thing?[/citation]
Shut up and accept it, what a fun concept. One since then complain when we see something going wrong we just watch it play out. I am also sure that that would work out for us for the better. What's this are cell phones are so thin they cut us by holding the edges now, all we really wish we had a thicker phone so it didn't take four seconds to run out the battery that's the size of a button but we never really thought about complaining about this stuff until it was too late.

What I want in a screen, are perfect blacks and great looking color, this kills the color and gives you know black values can as you can see your damn hand through the thing. I just find it stupid that were even putting this kind of technology into cell phone.

I mean sure a store display yes that could be see-through that could be helpful. But a cell phone? No

Here let's go to a more what if scenario.

What if they made these things have such a dark screen that one it turned black it was black you could not see through. Or when there is color on the screen you only see that color you don't have any transparency through it. Now on a cell phone this would be crap, but headmounted display like the oculus rift, I think you know where I'm going with that.

It's not so much technology that we think the stupidest direction they're trying to push it.

G

Dumb/useless. Good luck trying to do anything outdoors with that thing, you wouldnt be able to see anything in the sun.

Beyond that, no privacy is a deal breaker.

Who cares if its transparent if it doesnt work well. Cool, means nothing. Function is everything.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
My thoughts:

- That's a tiny PCB. Supposedly only runs bespoke software
- Where is the battery? Can't be transparent, surely. Must be small.
- Wiring can be transparent, at least (ITO, and all that)
- Probably not a high-performance device.
- Still want one though.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
The pictures show an acrylic phone case. No display or mainboard are present => bullshit. Show as the phone with all of the components installed.

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Lol, worlds first fully transparent smartphone.... With a screen that can only show "0" and "1", no processor, no battery, and none of the chips connected to anything!

Way to go Zak, reporting the best "news" as usual, with your insane fact checking skills.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
[citation][nom]Devoteicon[/nom]They think they're being innovative and futuristic, but in reality, it's just lame and unnecessary.[/citation]
WOW...! you are just the person samsung needs for its lastest greatest junk!... or "You sir will be going far in tech!" /sarcasm!

I think when they make glasses like this with some basic functionality like calculating mass speed and that kinda stuff we will see some cool shit. Till then, ill pass.
(Deus Ex HUman revolution in real life coming soon!).

ankur9310

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
It looks promising, but how will you see the display if it's hard to see while indoors? Current displays are hard enough to see outdoors for many phones.http://www.nwoow.com/techonology/worlds-first-polytron-technologies-transparent-smartphone-35361/

ankur9310

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
It looks promising, but how will you see the display if it's hard to see while indoors? Current displays are hard enough to see outdoors for many phones.http://tech24.in/technews/worlds-first-polytron-technologies-transparent-smartphone-12808

Status
Not open for further replies.