Question Poor game performance despite powerful computer

Sep 5, 2022
Hi, I have a rather powerful msi gaming laptop, with an intel i7, gtx 1060, and 32 gigs of ram. Despite this, the graphics quality of games like valorant and Minecraft are extremely at some points, while rather high, or at least above the expected 60 fps. This is mainly a framerate issue, and the graphical fidelity of these games is not a factor, since the results are the same when using maximum and minimum graphic fidelity. Sometimes the gameplay is buttery smooth, with fps in the hundreds. Other times its extremely laggy with ridiculous frame dips. I have tried so many things, with in game settings, clients, driver updates, and so much more. If anyone has any suggestions that would be amazing

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool a time.

Observe first while not gaming and then gaming. Compare games.

Note what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Look for unexpected/unknown apps that are running or may begin to run in the background.

The objective being to discover some difference(s) between "buttery smooth" and "extremely laggy".

Another tool that may help is Process Explorer. Microsoft, free.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Just take your time and be methodical