[SOLVED] Poor performence

Apr 2, 2020
Hello this is my first forum im am currently running an rx 480 gpu and an intel i5 7500 cpu and recently there has been a problem with my system my computer is running very poorly games are barly running, my gpu is always jumping from 0 to around 90% utilization and and i have no idea what is the source of the problem i tried countless solutions but non of them worked thanks in advance

Solution
Yes, at any point where the CPU reaches maximum safe temperature, it will throttle, no matter if it is only being utilized by 5% or a 100%

It is throttling to prevent more heat generation, so actual load doesn mean anything with regards to when the CPU throttles - critically high temperature is what triggers it

I'm not saying neccessarily this is what happens, you'll need to identify possible thermal throttling, for example by monitoring a graph of CPU frequencies over a period of time (while gaming for example), to see if performce dips are present. If there are clear dips in frequency in relation to high temperatures, it is because the CPU is protecting itself from damage caused by excessive heat generation

But I must admit, that...
Apr 2, 2020
What the cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
ram/ssd/hdd usage during the ame?
malware scan the system?
make and model of the psu?
Cpu temp is aroumd 90c
Gpu is around 50c
Ram is at around 50%(i have 8 gb)
Did a malware scan and didnt find anything
Psu is corsair vs650

90'c for the CPU is very hot and could cause thermal throttling, which will decrease the performace. Even when gaming, this is a very high temperature

Are you using an Intel BOX cooler, or do you have an aftermarket cooler installed?

You could try to remove the CPU cooler, clean off the old thermal paste with isopropylalcohol, and reinstall the CPU cooler with fresh thermal paste.

Also clean any dust or debris that might interfere with cooling performance

A thermal throttling CPU will also have an impact on graphics performance

Apr 2, 2020
90'c for the CPU is very hot and could cause thermal throttling - which will decrease the performace. Even when gaming, this is a very high temperature

Are you using an Intel BOX cooler, or do you have an aftermarket cooler installed?

You could try to remove the CPU cooler, clean off the old thermal paste, and reinstall the CPU cooler with fresh thermal paste.

Also clean any dust or debris that might interfere with cooling performance
When i checked metrics while gaming the cpu wasnt at 100% it was around 70
Is there a chance its throdeling even when its not at 100%

Yes, at any point where the CPU reaches maximum safe temperature, it will throttle, no matter if it is only being utilized by 5% or a 100%

It is throttling to prevent more heat generation, so actual load doesn mean anything with regards to when the CPU throttles - critically high temperature is what triggers it

I'm not saying neccessarily this is what happens, you'll need to identify possible thermal throttling, for example by monitoring a graph of CPU frequencies over a period of time (while gaming for example), to see if performce dips are present. If there are clear dips in frequency in relation to high temperatures, it is because the CPU is protecting itself from damage caused by excessive heat generation

But I must admit, that the very high operating temperatures you report seeing when gaming, is a very likely cause of the problems you experience, so to begin with, that the first issue I would try to fix.

If there are continued problems after returning CPU temperatures to an acceptable level, then it would be worth looking for other possible causes. But 90'c is quite hot, and will be able to cause damage to the CPU over time - so it should definately be adressed, in my opinion

Last edited:
Solution