Question Poor wifi connection on only one laptop

May 5, 2019
My HP Pavilion 14 has a very poor internet connection (two bars at best) even when I'm very close to the modem. At first I thought it was a modem problem but my smartphone and my brother's laptop will get five bars even when they are the same distance away from the modem as my HP.

I'm starting to think that's it a hardware problem. Is there any way for me to confirm this and how would I go about rectifying the problem? I've tried updating my drivers but Windows is telling me that I already have the newest drivers.

Ralston18

Titan
Doublecheck the current wireless adapter settings: ensure that they match the router.

Also verify that only the wireless network adapter is enabled. The wired adapter should be disabled. One or the other. Not both.

Have you tried running the built-in Windows troubleshooters? They may find and fix something.

What network adapter is installed in your HP?

Use Device Manager or "ipconfig /all" (without quotes via the command prompt) to identify the installed wireless network adapter.

Download the drivers via the manufacturer's website, reinstall, and reconfigure.