Question Popping noise when audio starts or stops (Realtek HD Audio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirmandudeguy

Honorable
Jan 16, 2018
Hello,

I'm having a weird audio issue with the sound coming from my PC. That being, whenever ANY sound plays or stops, a pop noise can be heard briefly. It doesn't happen DURING the audio being played but It's really annoying, especially since I'm an audio editor and often have to cut audio to start and stop. This issue happens on every single device capable of playing sound. My monitor speakers, my sound interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen), my headphone jack. It also happens on both my sets of headphones, so I know this cannot be a hardware issue.

I've tried the following solutions:

1. Setting minimum processor power to 100%
  2. Reinstalling the Realtek High Definition audio driver's with my motherboard's latest audio drivers
Would really appreciate some help. My PC specs are below:

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming X

CPU: Intel i7 7700K Quad-Core processor @ 4.5Ghz

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro 47.3 CFM

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2X8 GB) 3200 Mhz

Operating System: Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit OEM

Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon ATX

Storage: Samsung EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM HDD

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass ATX Full Tower Case

Monitors: 2 x AOC I2369VM 23.0" 1920X1080 60 Hz

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 Wired

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB Tunable Gaming Mouse

Thank you!

sirmandudeguy

Honorable
Jan 16, 2018
Try the tips in this video to see if any help. You could have a problem with DPC latency (Deferred Procedure Call).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChiROFNHObo

Thanks for the video. However, I've just tried every single solution offered in the video to no effect. Latencymon also states:

'Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.'

I'm stumped.

sirmandudeguy

Honorable
Jan 16, 2018
Have you checked for any conflicts in Device Manager?
What is listed under "Sound, video and game controllers"?
Have you checked what is listed in "Control Panel > Sound" under the Playback and Recording tabs?
Is your motherboard using the latest BIOS update?

I've got zero conflicts in Device manager. At least, to my knowledge. There is nothing there that indicates any sort of conflict as you describe. This is what is listed in 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers':

Z9JWBQD.png

I've checked the Playback and Recording tabs but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for here. I have my correct speakers and microphone selected as the default devices, if that's what you mean. Finally, updating the BIOS is not an option for me. Whenever I use the MSI M-Flash feature, the computer restarts into a black screen and I have to power off via the power button on my tower to get out. It's too risky and just not worth it, especially since this PC is my sole way to work.

MSI has taken steps to ensure that the analog audio signals are as noise-free as possible. The audio circuitry and components are isolated to their own section of the board, the audio codec is further isolated underneath the black EMI shield you see above, and left and right output channels are split between different PCB layers. MSI also includes a special “de-pop” protection circuit designed to minimize popping noises during startup.

For those who want to bypass the board’s analog audio implementation, MSI provides an optical S/PDIF out port on the rear port cluster.

Motherboard has 3 year warranty from date of manufacture.

Do you have audio inputs connected from the motherboard to the case?
If so, disconnect those, and see if the issue persists.
If the issue persists, have you tried different USB ports for your Focusrite Scarlett Solo ? Are you using USB ports on the case, or those directly attached to the motherboard?

sirmandudeguy

Honorable
Jan 16, 2018
Do you have audio inputs connected from the motherboard to the case?
If so, disconnect those, and see if the issue persists.
If the issue persists, have you tried different USB ports for your Focusrite Scarlett Solo ? Are you using USB ports on the case, or those directly attached to the motherboard?

The Scarlett Solo still has the issue, as does every other sound input. I don't think change the USB port that connects it would really have any effect. As for sound input from the motherboard? Um, I mean it's connected to the front 3.5mm audio jack, sure. Although sound, even when not coming from the 3.5mm, still has the issue. I'm wondering if this is a driver issue at this point.

sirmandudeguy

Honorable
Jan 16, 2018
So if you disconnect the Scarlet Solo, reboot the computer, then play some audio without the Scarlet Solo plugged in, do you still have the noise?

Yes, I still have the noise unfortunately. I've even done this a second time to confirm that the noise is still present.

Update: I've also tried disabling everything found in the 'sound, video and game controllers' section of device manager one by one but the problem isn't going. I'm seriously not understanding this at all.

Last edited:

sirmandudeguy

Honorable
Jan 16, 2018
That's not a popping noise - that is a windows alert noise. You can look in the event viewer to see what might be causing it. If you can't find it you can upload the events and I will take a look.

I'm aware that's a window alert noise. I was using the volume change noise to show the popping. I deliberately cut the noise off by clicking off of the volume slider when the windows noise was playing. Listen to when it stops and you'll hear what I'm referring to.

Listened to it all the way through several times and there are no other sounds. But that does help actually. It means that a hardware problem is causing that sound, it's nothing in the software. Have you tried different output devices, like speakers vs headphones, for example?

I have a Solo gen 2.

Every audio issue I have had in my pc has came from a driver related issue with the Solo.

Have you tried fully uninstalling the driver for the solo, then downloading the latest driver from the site, and reinstalling?

One time I contacted Scarlette and they sent me a beta driver that had fixed an audio issue I was having that was not available on their site and it fixed my issue until they rolled out a new driver that eventually fixed whatever issue the driver before it had. So maybe you can contact them and ask them about it just to see if there is anything they know of.

sirmandudeguy

Honorable
Jan 16, 2018
I have a Solo gen 2.

Every audio issue I have had in my pc has came from a driver related issue with the Solo.

Have you tried fully uninstalling the driver for the solo, then downloading the latest driver from the site, and reinstalling?

One time I contacted Scarlette and they sent me a beta driver that had fixed an audio issue I was having that was not available on their site and it fixed my issue until they rolled out a new driver that eventually fixed whatever issue the driver before it had. So maybe you can contact them and ask them about it just to see if there is anything they know of.

I've only recently got the solo. Literally only had it a few weeks now, so I know my drivers are up to date. If what you say is true, I doubt it could be the solo at work here.

Listened to it all the way through several times and there are no other sounds. But that does help actually. It means that a hardware problem is causing that sound, it's nothing in the software. Have you tried different output devices, like speakers vs headphones, for example?

I have listened to the video on my phone and can hear the sound clearly. I've also done this on my Laptop and still hear the sound. Again, the sound I'm referring to is the CLICK/POP as the windows system noise is abruptly stopped. If you listen with headphones, you'll notice it goes from one ear to the other on occasion. I only used the windows volume noise as an example. It happens to ANY audio that is started/stopped. You'll need to listen to the video at full volume to hear it.

I've only recently got the solo. Literally only had it a few weeks now, so I know my drivers are up to date. If what you say is true, I doubt it could be the solo at work here.

I have listened to the video on my phone and can hear the sound clearly. I've also done this on my Laptop and still hear the sound. Again, the sound I'm referring to is the CLICK/POP as the windows system noise is abruptly stopped. If you listen with headphones, you'll notice it goes from one ear to the other on occasion. I only used the windows volume noise as an example. It happens to ANY audio that is started/stopped. You'll need to listen to the video at full volume to hear it.

It wont hurt to contact them and see if they have any drivers. If it dont work you have something else going on.

D

Deleted member 14196

check this Tom's thread too where he solved it

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/realtek-hd-audio-pop-noise-before-and-after-sound.1221093/

"Anyway, go the Realtek HD Audio Manager (accessible by double clicking the tray icon) and in the lower right-hand corner there is a tiny button with a battery on it. In the window it opens, uncheck Power Management Enabled. This removed this stupid popping. What you thought about the speaker port being enabled and disabled was almost true in my case at least - the card has a stupid power management system. It may save some battery life but it's a very frustrating thing. "

basically remove the power management for that stupid thing and it should get rid of the popping. if that doesn't solve it do this... strip off everything not on the motherboard and get that poping fixed there first, since there is probably where it comes from (disconnect all usb audio, etc. and just use onboard Realtek)

I would test your Solo on another laptop or desktop and start doing tests to eliminate the poping hardware. could be you have a defective something or other on the mobo where the audio is concerned.

Contacted them and was told that their latest drivers are already on the site and that they had nothing to share with me. Should I give up?

So just to make sure Im clear.. The pop is only when u 1st start, or stop an audio track No matter wether its in your DAW or simply through Windows Media Player? And you have tried using speakers directly into the line out of your mobo bypassing the solo correct?

Also you have tried headphones directly connected to the line out on the mobo?

And you can still hear the pop on all of those sources? Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.