News Popular Overclocker Delids Core i9-11900K with Impressive Results

Thomas Wells

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
Comment in the last paragraph "It's rather unfortunate that the delidding process is so incredibly risky on Comet Lake CPU" should read Rocket Lake CPU perhaps?

InvalidError

Titan
I wonder if Intel is putting SMT caps where they are to deter delidding. 🙃
If that was really the intent, Intel could have easily placed them a millimeter or so closer to the IHS perimeter. Even better would be to put some UNDER the IHS, I'm sure it could fit 0201s under there, mill SMD pockets under the IHS if necessary for clearance and wiggle room.

Co BIY

Splendid
I thought the goal of delidding was to directly connect the die to the cooler and bypass the IHS ?

Very surprised that liquid metal made any improvement over TIM. I understand why it would be an improvement over paste.

InvalidError

Titan
I thought the goal of delidding was to directly connect the die to the cooler and bypass the IHS ?

Very surprised that liquid metal made any improvement over TIM. I understand why it would be an improvement over paste.
The problem with STIM is that the distance between IHS and the die is larger than it needs to be with paste to allow for mechanical compliance between the different temperatures and thermal expansion coefficients across the die, STIM and IHS. If the STIM layer was thinner, de-lidding would also have a much higher chance of ripping chunks of the die off the substrate.

Most cooling solutions are designed around having an IHS. So unless you're willing to modify the cooling solution as well, you're going to have at least a few millimeters of gap between the cooling solution and the die. Not to mention part of the IHS is to spread mechanical stress from the cooling solution to ensure sufficient contact without risk of cracking the die due to how much you're tightening the thing to it.

However de8auer was notable in figuring out that when Intel was using thermal paste as the die/IHS TIM, the spacing Intel shipped the CPUs out with was a hair larger than it could've been (probably due to overzealous application of the glue used). So delidding during this time was to reduce the spacing.

TRENDING THREADS