Question Port forwarding causing network issues

Jun 7, 2023
Hi.

I am port forwarding for my plex server. I have a Centurylink C4000XG modem that I am plugging my PC into that is running the plex server. All other devices on the network (wired or wi-fi) are working it is only this PC that has the port forwarding that is having issues.

I can reset DNS and IP address and internet will work for while but eventually in about 1-2 hours just stops working and I have to flush DNS and reset IP then works again but then always cuts out again.

I have reset everything and set up again with the same result. I am at a loss on how to trouble shoot further, not sure what I am missing. any help appreciated

kanewolf

Titan
Hi.

I am port forwarding for my plex server. I have a Centurylink C4000XG modem that I am plugging my PC into that is running the plex server. All other devices on the network (wired or wi-fi) are working it is only this PC that has the port forwarding that is having issues.

I can reset DNS and IP address and internet will work for while but eventually in about 1-2 hours just stops working and I have to flush DNS and reset IP then works again but then always cuts out again.

I have reset everything and set up again with the same result. I am at a loss on how to trouble shoot further, not sure what I am missing. any help appreciated
Start by removing the port forward(s). See if the behavior continues.

Jun 7, 2023
Start by removing the port forward(s). See if the behavior continues.
I should have included that in my post, When I completely reset everything I had the PC running for a couple weeks with no issue when port forwarding was not on. Once I add it back in then the issue arises again

kanewolf

Titan
I should have included that in my post, When I completely reset everything I had the PC running for a couple weeks with no issue when port forwarding was not on. Once I add it back in then the issue arises again
You will have to provide details on exactly what port(s) you are forwarding. Screen shots from the router would be best. Upload picts to imgr or another hosting site and post links here.

eventually in about 1-2 hours just stops working and I have to flush DNS and reset IP then works again but then always cuts out again.
Why do you have to do port forwarding? For what purpose?
Plex doesn't require port porwarding. Unless you want to connect to plex from internet (from outside of your local network).

Can you draw a diagram, to show, how your network is connected?
(upload image to imgur.com and post link)

Can you show screenshot with command output for
ipconfig /all