[SOLVED] Port Forwarding help

Tyler McCartney

Honorable
Jul 29, 2015
My goal is simply to forward port 25565 and I can't seem to do that.

Things I've tried/info:

Windows Firewall is off
Windows Defender is off
Router firewall is off
No other virus/firewall software
My modem is simple. No settings. No router like features
My IP is static
My Wan-IP is static

On DD-WRT I have the port forwarded
I turned on DMZ to test to see if I can get ANY port forwarded

Wan-IP is same as external facing IP
I have hard reset my router, my modem, my pc after applying these settings

My ISP does not do anything with ports.
I have forwarded this port before with this same router before. Only difference is i change from netgear to dd-wrt about 8 months ago with no issues

I honestly don't know what else to do

Solution
After 7 hours of trying to fix the issue I just flashed the initial firmware and updated that. Port forwarding worked like a charm on that. I tried IPTABLES and those also did nothing. But better now at least.
Since you say it worked before that means it almost has to be some setting in dd-wrt. This is part of the problem with third party firmware. It can do a lot but it also has a lot of crap hiding the settings you may be interested in.

So if we assume your PC is correctly setup and the application is really active on the port you think it is it means the data is not getting past the router.

In a way dd-wrt is good because it can be set to log traffic. In general if a firewall rule would block the traffic you get a log entry by default. I do not know how much you can do via the gui. All the actual work is done with IPTABLES stuff. You can actually set it to log all traffic with a certain port and see it as it passes thought the NAT and the firewall. It is actually a entry in the IPTABLES that makes the port forwarding work. You might be able to put a log entry on that to start to see if the rule is even being hit.

I really hate IPTABLES I think someone intentional designed it to be confusing.

Tyler McCartney

Honorable
Jul 29, 2015
After 7 hours of trying to fix the issue I just flashed the initial firmware and updated that. Port forwarding worked like a charm on that. I tried IPTABLES and those also did nothing. But better now at least.

Solution