[SOLVED] Port Forwarding help

kaze892

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
i have 2 PC hooked up directly via a crossover lan cable and my goal is to let PC A access PC B 192.168.1.2:8083

PC A IP is192.168.1.1
PC B IP is 192.168.1.2

From PC A i am able to access 192.168.1.2 and view the default iis webpage hosted by PC B
From PC B i am able to access 127.0.0.1:8083 but not 192.168.1.2:8083
From PC A and B i am able to access 192.168.1.2:8083

Using this command below i am able to add portproxy for192.168.1.2 :8083
netsh interface portproxy add v4tov4 listenport=8083 listenaddress=192.168.1.2 connectport=8083 connectaddress=127.0.0.1

but using netstat -a i can only find 127.0.0.1:8083 but not 192.168.1.2:8083

restarting iphlpsvc does not help either

Windows Firewall is off
Windows Defender is off
No other virus/firewall software
No Router is used
Both PC running on Win7

I honestly don't know what else i have missed out
2.jpg

This is not a port forwarding question since that is related to traffic passing through the NAT on the router.

It must be something strange with the application since there is no network restriction when you have the firewalls disabled. All port are allowed between all machines.

I suspect it is related to the applcation using the 127.x..x.x ip rather than the actual ethernet IP on the machine. This is stuff my background is very weak on since it is microsoft related and I never supported the OS just network equipment.

kaze892

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
This is not a port forwarding question since that is related to traffic passing through the NAT on the router.

It must be something strange with the application since there is no network restriction when you have the firewalls disabled. All port are allowed between all machines.
No router is used as i am connecting the 2 PCs directly via crossover cable in a local network environment

im have almost to zero knowledge on networking stuff but im thinking i have to let 192.168.1.2:8083 appear as listening for this to work out

I suspect it is related to the applcation using the 127.x..x.x ip rather than the actual ethernet IP on the machine. This is stuff my background is very weak on since it is microsoft related and I never supported the OS just network equipment.
The same application did worked on another computer and with netstat -a and i am able to see the correct IP 192.x.x.x:8083 status as listening

Problem is i did not know what i did on the other computer as i just tried every possible solution found on the internet and it somehow worked

Also this working computer had since been spoiled..

Your network is setup correctly. You obviously know the basics because many people do not know how to manually set the ports when they do not have a router to do the work for them.

This is a application thing. I am a network guy and only know routers and switches etc. But I agree you should see the application listening on that port.

I don't know if you are going to get someone to look at this post with the title you have. You need to get someone who has experience setting up IIS servers.

Maybe try to repost it to a different catageory in this forum with IIS and setup in the title. You might get some help on microsoft site forums also. The people there do not seem to be as helpful as here but your have experts in IIS setup on that site.

Ralston18

Titan
I will add the suggestion that you poke about using Powershell (with Admin rights).

For example:

https://adamtheautomator.com/netstat-port-2/#Using_PowerShell_to_Find_Active_and_Listening_Ports

Try

Get-NetTcpConnection

= = = =

FYI (and you can easily find other similar links):

https://www.channelpronetwork.com/blog/entry/powershell-ip-commands

Get cmdlets are safe and quite useful for discovering what is.

Then, other cmdlets can be used to make changes if that is the end objective at some point.

kaze892

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Your network is setup correctly. You obviously know the basics because many people do not know how to manually set the ports when they do not have a router to do the work for them.

This is a application thing. I am a network guy and only know routers and switches etc. But I agree you should see the application listening on that port.

I don't know if you are going to get someone to look at this post with the title you have. You need to get someone who has experience setting up IIS servers.

Maybe try to repost it to a different catageory in this forum with IIS and setup in the title. You might get some help on microsoft site forums also. The people there do not seem to be as helpful as here but your have experts in IIS setup on that site.

IIS is working correctly and i am using IIS to test if PC A is able to view PC B IIS address.

i did get it working once on a previous PC so i do not believe it is an application issue.
Using ngrok i am able to get the local host up and view over the internet but this is not what i want as i need a fixed IP

What tittle do you suggest as i do not know what my issue is right now

I will add the suggestion that you poke about using Powershell (with Admin rights).

For example:

https://adamtheautomator.com/netstat-port-2/#Using_PowerShell_to_Find_Active_and_Listening_Ports

Try

Get-NetTcpConnection

i would love to try it but i'm working with windows 7 and theres no powershell