Question Port Forwarding no longer works after router reset

theminingcrafter

Commendable
Jul 3, 2018
So, for the past 2 years, my D-LINK DIR-880L port forwarded fine with no problems. These were just a couple game ones. About a month ago I factory reset my router and set up everything to pretty much how I remembered it. Then when I tried port forwarding, none of my ports are testing as open. The only time I've managed to get it to work is when turning off the "DHCP Server" option on the router's "Network" tab. Sadly then my other 6 devices couldn't connect to the wifi.

I've went through so many Google searches and it seems like the problem would be related to that DHCP option, but I know virtually nothing about networking. I'm not sure what is going wrong here as before all I had to do was click the port forward tab, add a port, and it worked fine. I've tried "reserving" an IP on my desktop computer and using that to port forward, but it still didn't work. Nothing has changed except my router's factory reset, so what could be preventing my ports from opening? Thank you.

I have tried
  • Disabling my firewall
  • Different ports to open
  • Setting my PC to have a static IP outside of the DHCP range. The range was 192.168.0.100-199 and In my router's interface I set my PC's to 192.168.0.99
  • Disabling DHCP, which worked, but screwed with the other 6 devices connected to my wifi using that setting
  • Looking through the router's manual, which didn't help at all
EDIT: If anyone needs more info or images on what my router's settings look like, just ask. This forum marked my post as spam when I tried adding images

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
So, for the past 2 years, my D-LINK DIR-880L port forwarded fine with no problems. These were just a couple game ones. About a month ago I factory reset my router and set up everything to pretty much how I remembered it. Then when I tried port forwarding, none of my ports are testing as open. The only time I've managed to get it to work is when turning off the "DHCP Server" option on the router's "Network" tab. Sadly then my other 6 devices couldn't connect to the wifi.

I've went through so many Google searches and it seems like the problem would be related to that DHCP option, but I know virtually nothing about networking. I'm not sure what is going wrong here as before all I had to do was click the port forward tab, add a port, and it worked fine. I've tried "reserving" an IP on my desktop computer and using that to port forward, but it still didn't work. Nothing has changed except my router's factory reset, so what could be preventing my ports from opening? Thank you.

I have tried
  • Disabling my firewall
  • Different ports to open
  • Setting my PC to have a static IP outside of the DHCP range. The range was 192.168.0.100-199 and In my router's interface I set my PC's to 192.168.0.99
  • Disabling DHCP, which worked, but screwed with the other 6 devices connected to my wifi using that setting
  • Looking through the router's manual, which didn't help at all
EDIT: If anyone needs more info or images on what my router's settings look like, just ask. This forum marked my post as spam when I tried adding images
You say you tried to reserve an IP with the router. Did you open a cmd.exe window and verify that your PC had the IP you expected ?