[SOLVED] Port Forwarding not working (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2021
As of last weekend (9/9 to today, 9/15), my NAT Type changed to 'Strict' on COD Warzone. I hadn't played for about 2 weeks before then and it has ALWAYS been Open NAT before. System and configuration info below:

-PC is Ryzen 5800x w/ ASUS ROG Strix Gaming-f motherboard
-Ethernet Connection
-All drivers and software up-to-date

I'm just going to list the generics but trust me when I say, I've tried literally every port forwarding related on PC and Router

-Static IP
-800+ down, 35+ up and 8-9 ping internet speed
-Port forwarding rules w/ Warzone PC ports UDP and TCP
-UPnP
-DMZ
-Firewall on Windows AND router disabled
-DHCP reservation
-Windows Firewall AND Network Driver reset and update
-Router factory reset and reconfiguration
And on, and on, annnnnnd on the list goes

Router and ISP info:

-Hitron coda-4582 RES router/modem (software v. 2.0.10.44b1)
-Vyve Broadband ISP which still shows up as Northland Communications on speed test server
-Public IP starts with 67.xx.xxx.xxx

Respectfully, if we could skip the part where we start suggesting windows or router settings or asking if I've looked here or done this, I would very much appreciate it. Unless it's something so deep or specific that it can't be found on the first page of Google in forums and guides. I orginally majored in Computer Science w/ emphasis in Networking and Programming and I've done years worth of morally questionable things on and off the Dark/Deep Web (that past in behind me now lol).

My question really is, could my ISP have changed my public IP, could they be blocking ports, could they be throttling data usage due to overconsumption, etc. because before this past weekend it was Open and fine, and I havent changed settings on PC or router in a couple months.

P.S.- what are your thoughts on the Port Forward Network Utilities software and is it capable of finding, fixing or setting up any sort of configuration or setting beyond what I could do myself relatively easily)

Solution
Do you mean too many people in my household or in my region or everybody they provide service to?

If I call them, assuming customer service is capable and willing, is this something that can resolved for free or by paying more for the option?
Too many people on their system running gaming servers. Residential service is not intended for running servers and this is one of the ways that the ISP enforces that rule. They will not open it up. If you want a fully open network then you must subscribe to business class service, which is typically not available to a residential location.
Sep 15, 2021
NAT type 'open' vs 'strict' is under control of your ISP. It's likely they changed it due to too many people hosting gaming servers on their residential service.
Do you mean too many people in my household or in my region or everybody they provide service to?

If I call them, assuming customer service is capable and willing, is this something that can resolved for free or by paying more for the option?

Too many people on their system running gaming servers. Residential service is not intended for running servers and this is one of the ways that the ISP enforces that rule. They will not open it up. If you want a fully open network then you must subscribe to business class service, which is typically not available to a residential location.

Solution
My question really is, could my ISP have changed my public IP, could they be blocking ports, could they be throttling data usage due to overconsumption, etc. because before this past weekend it was Open and fine, and I havent changed settings on PC or router in a couple months.
The answer is of course they can--it's their network. But changing your public IP shouldn't have caused an issue unless that address has a different route to the Internet, port blocking would be a company wide implementation and would be listed in the terms of service, and throttling if any would also be listed in the terms of service.

If your IP changed, then this could be the culprit even though there's nothing you can do about it. I would use shieldsup on grc.com to see what's going on with your external ports and if anything is not as it should be. The only other thing left to try is a vpn service to see if that routes you better than your default route.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021
Ymmv as I have always been able to get business service at a residence. I even had both a residential and business line at the same residence before.
That's what I'm hoping for as well.
The answer is of course they can--it's their network. But changing your public IP shouldn't have caused an issue unless that address has a different route to the Internet, port blocking would be a company wide implementation and would be listed in the terms of service, and throttling if any would also be listed in the terms of service.

If your IP changed, then this could be the culprit even though there's nothing you can do about it. I would use shieldsup on grc.com to see what's going on with your external ports and if anything is not as it should be. The only other thing left to try is a vpn service to see if that routes you better than your default route.
Hoping they can give me a solution such as commercial service with static IP, a VPN is really my last resort and even then I doubt I'll mess with it.

My latency issue has since worked itself out, I'm under 10ms on speed test and usually 20-25ms on Warzone. This NAT type is still causing issues with lobbies and joining friends games

One thing you could try if your router/modem combo allows it, is to enable bridge mode and connect your PC directly to it. This should give your PC the public IP and then if you still have issues, it is within the ISP. If you don't have issues, you have a potential workaround by getting your own router.

Status
Not open for further replies.